Author Topic: 23% of Republicans Think GOP Should Nominate Someone Other Than Trump  (Read 2419 times)

Offline libertybele

Well...um...ok @Applewood   But INHO you would have been better off admitting you live under a rock.   :shrug:

Maybe the daily briefings were missed.   *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

Well...um...ok @Applewood   But INHO you would have been better off admitting you live under a rock.   :shrug:

@Right_in_Virginia

Why would I do that?  I live in a house.   happy77

Offline Hoodat

In 2008, over 50% of Democrats thought the Democrat Party should nominate someone other than Baraq Obama.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

In 2008, over 50% of Democrats thought the Democrat Party should nominate someone other than Baraq Obama.

Hmm, interesting fact.

That would seem to put Trump in far better position within his party than Obama had within his. That’s not saying much though. Democrats would vote for a can of tomato soup if they reckoned it could beat Trump. Republicans are bit more discerning than that. The candidate would have to have a pulse.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Hmm, interesting fact.

That would seem to put Trump in far better position within his party than Obama had within his. That’s not saying much though. Democrats would vote for a can of tomato soup if they reckoned it could beat Trump. Republicans are bit more discerning than that. The candidate would have to have a pulse.

Oh, I agree.  Trump is going to face the voters with a very united GOP.   This election isn't just about Trump.  It's an existential one, for reasons I'm sure you and I would agree on.   Where we differ is that I do not believe this election is going to end well.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

Oh, I agree.  Trump is going to face the voters with a very united GOP.   This election isn't just about Trump.  It's an existential one, for reasons I'm sure you and I would agree on.   Where we differ is that I do not believe this election is going to end well.

@Jazzhead  things looked much more optimistic for Trump prior to the pandemic.  The left has showed their hand and its not pretty -- IMHO IF they succeed in mail-in-voting nationwide, the GOP will loose by fraud and corruption.  Bet on they already have their plans in place.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

Why would I do that?  I live in a house.   happy77

Because @Applewood I asked if you lived under a rock as the only plausible reason you could (still) be so uninformed.  Or don't you remember?   :beer:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead  things looked much more optimistic for Trump prior to the pandemic.  The left has showed their hand and its not pretty -- IMHO IF they succeed in mail-in-voting nationwide, the GOP will loose by fraud and corruption.  Bet on they already have their plans in place.

Trump needs to turn lemons into lemonade.  The economy is a smoking wreck but by November the situation between those states that have reopened - safely - and those still wallowing in politically-manufactured panic will be clear.   And there will be a correlation that will be hard to ignore - things will be worse in the states governed by Democrats.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:32:49 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Absalom

Nikki Haley.  Marco Rubio.  Just to name two who are widely assumed to have the ambition.   They are certainly capable of doing a better job -  even if a "better job" is defined merely as being an advocate for the Republic and the opportunity economy without alienating half the voters before the first vote is cast.
And there's that Congressman (darn if I can remember his name as I type this) who so effectively stood up to Schiff and his Star Chamber. Or Ron DeSantis in Florida or Brian Kemp in Georgia.  Or my own particular favorite (besides Nikki), Sen Pat Toomey.  It is a failure of the imagination to contend that "after Trump, the deluge".   There is talent up and down the national and state GOPs.
The better contention is that after Trump's inevitable defeat, the deluge. Trump has crippled himself with half the electorate,  and his way to re-election is as dicey as a Vegas crap game.  Trump's legacy may well be the triumphant, radicalized Democratic party he has energized in his wake   
----------------------
The 23% figure is unsurprising as Trump's ability to make enemies is miraculous.
There was an opportunity for the GOP to force Trump out during the impeachment
fandango, yet the leaders never seized that moment.
Now add COVID to the political turmoil and Trump's will need infinitely more than
his Fan Club in November.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@verga

Yup,and one of them is me.

True story. I have been repeating over and over here this whole virus panic is part of a desperate plan by the Dims to bankrupt the economy to the point as many people as possible are out of work and dependent on government checks coming in each month.

Frankly,bankrupting America while Trump is President is the ONLY way they will be able to establish a globalist "Soviet" government in our lifetimes,and they are getting desperate.

I have lately taken to saying out out loud,sometimes maybe a little louder than absolutely necessary,any time I am in public and someone is complaining about the problems caused by the virus.

I start out with "this whole thing was caused by the DNC and their Chinese friends in an effort to steal the upcoming election.",and then work my way up from there.

Been doing this for more than a week now,and I have YET to say it and get any reaction other than a head nod and some version of "I agree".

And these are all people whose politics I know nothing about,and almost all are over 40 and in the prime voting age.

Even I am surprised I got no blowback,and all agreements. I have never before in my entire life made a political statement like that in public and had NOBODY disagree with me.

I would like for those of you who agree with me on this to start doing this yourselves in public places,and then post your feedback here for the rest of us to see.

Rallying support in politics is best done by letting potential voters know you agree with them by stating specific things like this in public in order for the "non-political" people who only vote every 4 years to hear it,and have something to think about.

We need to turn this back on the Dims.
I have been doing the same thing, with little or no argument, even from people I deeply suspect are Democrats.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis