Poll

How do you store music to relisten?

CD DVD
6 (31.6%)
Mp3 but don't care about bitrate
3 (15.8%)
Mp3 but only want high quality recordings and Higher bitrates
6 (31.6%)
Different high quality format (FLAC or Apple Lossless ect)
1 (5.3%)
Stream music and have a playlist in the cloud
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 21, 2020, 02:04:07 am

Author Topic: How do you perfer to listen to your music? Format wise?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
How do you perfer to listen to your music? Format wise?
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:04:07 am »
I was just curious where folks now days leaned when it comes to music.

If none of the above, please elaborate in the comments.

I am sorta in middle of bitrates for Mp3 (I want a good sounding track) but don't care for the 320kbps which is a huge file. I can't seem to tell the difference from a 180kbps rip from a 320kbps rip. My ears aren't that great anymore... So around 224kbps works for me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:06:41 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: How do you perfer to listen to your music? Format wise?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:16:26 am »
No vinyl option?

Irrelevant, I don't have my turntable set up after my move last year.  I holler at Alexa to whip me up some tunes now.  I have one of my Alexa units hard-wired into my full-house stereo system.  I am not an "audiophile," I worked in radio too many years.  I've seen coworkers pay $20,000 for a final stage speaker amplifier as recently as last year.  That guy was a huge fan of classical music, and held season tickets to the Phoenix Philharmonic.

Oh, he plays vinyl records.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 02:22:46 am »
No vinyl option?

Irrelevant, I don't have my turntable set up after my move last year.  I holler at Alexa to whip me up some tunes now.  I have one of my Alexa units hard-wired into my full-house stereo system.  I am not an "audiophile," I worked in radio too many years.  I've seen coworkers pay $20,000 for a final stage speaker amplifier as recently as last year.  That guy was a huge fan of classical music, and held season tickets to the Phoenix Philharmonic.

Sorry I didn't see but so many slots to fill in for options to vote and left vinyl option out as I figured most folks stopped bothering with them long ago. I also have a record player that hooks to the computer but I perfer to rip to Mp3 now days the old songs... just easier for me to play.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 02:26:16 am »
Format in which I'd prefer to listen to music?  Live performance (esp. opera, which I'll only listen to/watch live).j

The format in which I usually listen to music is mp3, without much worry about the technical specs, though sometimes I'll listen to CDs or my old LPs instead.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 02:28:19 am »
What? No 8-track? No Cassette?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 02:34:55 am »
Format in which I'd prefer to listen to music?  Live performance (esp. opera, which I'll only listen to/watch live).j

Can't argue that... heck of an answer I never even considered.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:58 am »
What? No 8-track? No Cassette?

8-Track players ate tapes all the time.  I listened to one a lot because that was before there were inexpensive cassettes for the car.  There was an inherent flaw in the design of the 8-track player, the most glaring was the fact the pinch roller was built into the cartridge, and there was no braking mechanism to keep the tape from over-spinning when you yanked the cartridge out.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 02:41:22 am »

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:55:58 am »
I like both cds, and I have downloaded a few of my favorite songs on my iPhone so I can listen to while I’m driving or walking.

I loved vinyl, that’s what I grew up with, and the album artwork for vinyl was like little masterpieces. Like Sgt Pepper, for example. My favorites albums I had in vinyl, cd,  mp3, and cassette form.

I’m sad my mom and dad threw out my turntable and got rid of my records. I had quite a collection. Original Capitol labels of Beatles albums and first edition Apple albums. They’d be worth a mint now. Oh well. Also had a few mint Stones albums from the Brian Jones era. (All given to me by older cousins)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 11:02:07 am »
No vinyl option?

In 1978 I spent 60% of my entire net worth on what was at that time  a crazy expensive stereo system.  It now sits in boxes in the attic.
Fast forward to 2020, I yell across the room at a hockey puck to tell it to play me some music. 

Think things have changed a bit?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 12:32:22 pm »
My friends are all doing vinyl, but I've never seen the attraction. I'm barely old enough to remember my first record (Michael Jackson's Thriller).

I watch a few people who buy Amazon returns and vinyl is still a reliable money maker for resellers.

I actually prefer the sound of crappy tinny radios. That is how I first heard a lot of my music. I can listen to FM radio on my Ryobi and my Baofing radio.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »
90 percent of my listening is on vinyl. The sound can't be beat,  especially for all the analogue, acoustic jazz that I favor.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 12:55:10 pm »
90 percent of my listening is on vinyl. The sound can't be beat,  especially for all the analogue, acoustic jazz that I favor.

From your sn, I am guessing you are an advanced audio-phile.  I bet you handle your LP's like fragile eggs.

My vinyl from the '60's-'80's?  Rice Krispy Baby!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:01:13 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 12:58:06 pm »

I stream music on line because of the almost infinite variety of music now available there. But I was thrilled when my wife bought me a turntable last year - I pulled out vinyl records I hadn't listened to, in some cases for twenty years or more. There is a warmth and depth to the sound that just doesn't quite translate digitally. Now if I could only afford a better amp and speakers...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 02:31:59 am »
I'm not picky. I like to have some form of physical possession. An MP3 or some other digital form is good enough as long as it's on my own hard drives... physical media's fine, though I haven't ripped a CD in years and I think I've played one once in that time span. Plus, physical copies invariably degrade over time and formats become obsolete.

The cloud is convenient for music that's new to me—but it's not ideal for regular listening because the last thing I care to do is let megacorporations spy on my listening habits.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 03:29:11 am »
I was just curious where folks now days leaned when it comes to music.

If none of the above, please elaborate in the comments.

I am sorta in middle of bitrates for Mp3 (I want a good sounding track) but don't care for the 320kbps which is a huge file. I can't seem to tell the difference from a 180kbps rip from a 320kbps rip. My ears aren't that great anymore... So around 224kbps works for me.

Should be a multi-select menu.

I chose high(er) quality MP3... which ain't precisely true either - I do have MP4 and OGG in my library, which is indeed high(er) quality MP3 in the main. But I largely stream anymore... And as yet another category, I have begun converting my audio library to Audio/Video.

Music video has become an extension of the musical art form, and I often feel the need to preserve the form en-toto, since anymore, anything I am playing on offers video service.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 03:39:18 am »
I holler at Alexa to whip me up some tunes now. I have one of my Alexa units hard-wired into my full-house stereo system.

That is a thing. My AI of choice is Giggles Assistant. "Hey Giggles... Play some Lady Antebellum for me"
Thankfully I chose Giggles instead of Cortana or Alexa, so my interaction is limited to portables. Were Giggles to invade PCs, I dare say I would fold like a rug and have her running my media machines... So far, I have stayed true to my paranoia, and have no live mike or cam in the house.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 03:43:28 am »

That is a thing too, though in classical I tend toward symphony or choir. I will go out of my way to go to a live presentation, and I will weep. It is so very beautiful to me. But it requires a hall. Something is missing from any sort of electronic presentation.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 03:47:47 am »
In 1978 I spent 60% of my entire net worth on what was at that time  a crazy expensive stereo system.  It now sits in boxes in the attic.
Fast forward to 2020, I yell across the room at a hockey puck to tell it to play me some music. 

Think things have changed a bit?

I have a pooter tied to my TV... and the TV piped though an old school amp to old school house speakers. It is da bomb. Especially for music. And I still can do AM/FM through the amp too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 03:50:51 am »
I actually prefer the sound of crappy tinny radios. That is how I first heard a lot of my music. I can listen to FM radio on my Ryobi and my Baofing radio.

Baseball is that for me... Howard Cosell on a crappy transistor radio pretty well ruined baseball on any other medium for me. And Coast2Coast AM... Same thing.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 12:46:58 am »
Baseball is that for me... Howard Cosell on a crappy transistor radio pretty well ruined baseball on any other medium for me. And Coast2Coast AM... Same thing.

I miss Art Bell on Coast to Coast. Noory isn’t as good, imho. @roamer_1
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 01:19:24 am »

I moved to  NW AZ, where it's not far from Vegas. Just take the highway north outta Vegas, past the Atomic Bomb test range (boom!), and hang a left!  Pahrump!  Where Art did C2C for years and years.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:20:21 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 02:09:00 am »
I haven't added much to my music collection in a long long time. I looked at my server and I only have 620GB of music on it. Most of that I loaded many years ago. I still love to listen to the 60's and 70's. The first record I ever bought was "Freak Out". That'll tell you the genre I listen too. I've mostly listened to MP3's for too long. I definitely need to fire my turntable back up. I have a good stack of vinyl that I've never played. I like to feel the bass beats thumping my insides. I know my hearing ain't what it was, serving on an aircraft carrier, shooting way too much without ear protection, and as a kid, I was known as the neighborhood bomb maker.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 07:02:00 am »

I will agree @Gefn ... But Noory ain't bad  :shrug:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 10:21:07 pm »
Let's see . . . I have almost 400 albums on CD (blues, jazz, classic soul, classical & experimental music, reggae and other world musics, vintage rock, comedy) . . . they're all burned into my external (2TB) computer hard drive (which is actually no bigger than one of those classic old little carved cigarette cases into which you could put twelve cigarettes), and I play them through a pair of Bose computer speaks that have sound superior to a standard stereo system.

The last few CDs I bought, in recent weeks . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.