Author Topic: Meat shortage gives opening to plant-based alternatives  (Read 815 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Meat shortage gives opening to plant-based alternatives
« on: May 10, 2020, 04:29:46 pm »
Meat shortage gives opening to plant-based alternatives
By Alex Gangitano - 05/10/20 08:30 AM EDT

A shortage of meat products in the U.S. due to coronavirus outbreaks at processing plants is prompting many Americans to give plant-based alternatives a try, allowing a previously marginalized industry to quickly expand.

Coronavirus outbreaks at meatpacking plants, where thousands of workers have tested positive for coronavirus and several have died, forced several facilities to close, which in turn led to meat shortages at grocery stores and fast food chains.

That’s created an opening for companies like Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods and Tofurky.

“We knew that people were turning towards plant based for a number of reasons but mostly for health reasons. I think now we can safely say that’s still the number one driver, but there might also be the perception of meat shortages,” said Michele Simon, executive director at Plant Based Foods Association.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/496869-meat-shortage-gives-opening-to-plant-based-alternatives
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Meat shortage gives opening to plant-based alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 04:47:23 pm »
Not a fan of the fake meat.  I guess if ALL the meat disappeared from the market, I'd eat it as a last resort.  Sure hope it doesn't get to that point.

So far, no shortages here in my part of TX.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 04:55:28 pm »
Not a fan of the fake meat.  I guess if ALL the meat disappeared from the market, I'd eat it as a last resort.  Sure hope it doesn't get to that point.

I tried one of the BK Impossible Whoppers and I can’t say I could tell much difference. Although in truth is a regular Whopper really meat?
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:44:28 pm »

Sixty angus at my disposal....100 meat chickens in the brooder.... I can reach out my bedroom window any given morning and knock a deer on the head with a stick... 20 decent days of fishing brings 100 fish in the freezer... Upland birds... 20 turkeys on the way...

Heck I'd gladly eat goat before I touch that frankenmeat.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 09:57:41 pm »
Sixty angus at my disposal....100 meat chickens in the brooder.... I can reach out my bedroom window any given morning and knock a deer on the head with a stick... 20 decent days of fishing brings 100 fish in the freezer... Upland birds... 20 turkeys on the way...

So.........BBQ at your place?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 10:23:14 pm »

Had to give up red meat, including my beloved fillets, when my gout got bad.  I did try some of the vegan burgers out at the time -- mostly made by Morningstar Farms or Gardein -- but they were like eating shoe leather.  The newer plant-based burgers such as Beyond, Impossible and the Awesome Burger are much better. 

Where I live, the supermarkets have limits on how much meat one can buy -- generally, two packages at a time.  One thing that has been scarce is chicken (which is ok for gout).  Been trying to get chicken thighs  for weeks, but no luck.  Even one of the little restaurants in my neighborhood can't serve any chicken dishes -- no chicken. 

Can't wait to see what happens when meat and poultry become more available.  Might have to mortgage my house to buy a couple of pounds of chicken.

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 10:24:47 pm »

I've been on a fishin' frenzy myself. :laugh: Not only because I enjoy it but it has filled up the freezer in case there really does turn out to be a meat shortage.
I don't hunt any longer and even if I did I don't really have a good place so you are lucky. All I every hunted anyway was birds, and it takes a big bunch of those to fill a freezer. Sadly all my hunting friends are in the same shape. No chickens (coyotes got them) but the garden did well this year.

In a pinch I like Boca Burgers (franken burgers) and make a pretty decent black bean burger. If things get down to the nitty gritty...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 10:27:25 pm »

I actually bought it at Trader Joe’s. It’s not too bad with a little cheese and ketchup. I didn’t put it on a bun but I thought it was ok. The second one was better than the first. Since then I have been buying them because of the protein.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 12:29:07 am »

Just damn!

The Republic is lost.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 01:14:16 am »
Nope.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 08:22:00 am »
So.........BBQ at your place?

Somebody else is gonna have to bring the BBQ sauce... All I got left is Kraft... Like half a bottle.  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:04 am »

I've been on a fishin' frenzy myself. :laugh: Not only because I enjoy it but it has filled up the freezer in case there really does turn out to be a meat shortage.
I don't hunt any longer and even if I did I don't really have a good place so you are lucky. All I every hunted anyway was birds, and it takes a big bunch of those to fill a freezer. Sadly all my hunting friends are in the same shape. No chickens (coyotes got them) but the garden did well this year.

In a pinch I like Boca Burgers (franken burgers) and make a pretty decent black bean burger. If things get down to the nitty gritty...

Well for me, that much fish is just getting by... I normally go for a bunch. I DO love to fish, but it is the subsistence that is the true aim. Same for all the hunting. If I am ever really out of meat, all y'all are really going to be in trouble... Because there won't be any critters left.  :whistle:

I take it you're hunting doves or something (to take a lot to fill a freezer)... I heard that's a thing down your way... We got chinks and grouse... about as big as chickens, which fill a freezer pretty quick added to a few wild turkeys. And not to mention ptarmigan and quail, which ain't hardly worth the effort, although I set store by ptarmigan meat. Ain't much for waterfowl myself though I have been known to knock down a few ducks and a honker now and then. But mostly upland birds.

And chickens are different from meat chickens. We have somewhere around 75 layers too. No coyote problems, and generally no varmint problems... The dogs and the barn cats generally see to that. And i am quick to respond where they ain't.  Mostly we lose birds to hawks and eagles when we do... which ain't all that much. Probably around the same as the natural death rate in the flock...

As for garden, we are still a week or two off from planting... And my greens and such are very low. Most of my stores were getting low even before this woohan thing... Lucky we split up an Angus about a week into it. But other than that, with the woohan going on, I am treading water at about 25% supply. Fetching from town is spotty. Can't wait to get into the season.

But I know what you mean... I am still pretty decrepit too...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 09:02:09 am »
Just damn!

A country boy can survive...  :beer:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 01:06:25 pm »
I'm surprised the vegans haven't come out claiming that going vegan will cure coronavirus.

But maybe their lobbying offices are closed... or I might have just missed it, I don't know.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 01:13:16 pm »
I'm surprised the vegans haven't come out claiming that going vegan will cure coronavirus.

But maybe their lobbying offices are closed... or I might have just missed it, I don't know.

No but I did see an article that dark chocolate had some ingredient that might help with causing to help immune systems with coronavirus
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 06:02:50 pm »
They just came out with a news story saying people who don't eat meat are more likely to have mental issues.
So be a vegetarian or vegan if that is your choice. Include me out.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 06:05:53 pm »
They just came out with a news story saying people who don't eat meat are more likely to have mental issues.

Lot of truth in that.  Just look at PETA.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 06:20:12 pm »

LOL! Yeah. Abstaining from meat is plumb crazy to me...  :beer:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 06:54:21 pm »

I believe that abstaining from meat for long periods of time robs the body of a number of essential nutrients for which it is difficult, if not almost impossible, to find replacements in the other food groups.  I know for me -- once I had to give up red meat, I had a heckuva time finding adequate sources of iron.  I inherited my mother's tendency toward anemia and it really became bad when certain health issues came up.  Supplements are fine, but that's just it -- they are meant to supplement the nutrients we are supposed to get from food, not meant to replace the food sources. 

But you are right -- the decision to become a vegetarian or a vegan is a personal one and far be it from me to tell anyone how to live his/her life.  Unfortunately, there are radicals among the vegetarian/vegan crowd trying to force everyone to be like them and I resent that.   IMHO -- you do your thing and I'll do mine.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 08:25:18 pm »
I believe that abstaining from meat for long periods of time robs the body of a number of essential nutrients for which it is difficult, if not almost impossible, to find replacements in the other food groups.  I know for me -- once I had to give up red meat, I had a heckuva time finding adequate sources of iron.  I inherited my mother's tendency toward anemia and it really became bad when certain health issues came up.  Supplements are fine, but that's just it -- they are meant to supplement the nutrients we are supposed to get from food, not meant to replace the food sources. 

But you are right -- the decision to become a vegetarian or a vegan is a personal one and far be it from me to tell anyone how to live his/her life.  Unfortunately, there are radicals among the vegetarian/vegan crowd trying to force everyone to be like them and I resent that.   IMHO -- you do your thing and I'll do mine.
The conceit of vegetarians and vegans is that humans eating meat is unnatural.
While too much of certain foods/meats might be bad, the facts are humans have adapted over hundreds of thousands of years for eating meat.
Which is why we have incisors for ripping and tearing and molars for grinding non-meat foodstuffs.
Not eating meat is unnatural.
What you eat is your business, but it appears most vegetarians and vegans are liberals.
However, I believe in science.  Eat meat.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 09:00:39 pm »
No but I did see an article that dark chocolate had some ingredient that might help with causing to help immune systems with coronavirus

Dark chocolate is good for you; the darker the better as it contains minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. The cocoa in dark chocolate also contains antioxidants called flavonoids, which may provide several health benefits; lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, aiding with type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance and inflammation.

As for meat -- MORE MEAT!!! Your body needs the protein.  Nothing better than filet mignon cooked on the grill. I grew up as a kid in Kansas and was lucky to have Kansas City beef. Every Sunday we ventured over to my grandparents -- something delicious on the grill was always cooking.  Grandpa used to make his own barbecue sauce and horseradish sauce.  Grandma used to make the very best mashed potatoes in the world and mile-high lemon meringue pie.

There are 100 ways to cook chicken (yes indeed I have the recipe book).  Pork ribs on the grill are fantastic and every now and then I make pulled pork.

Meat -- it's what's for dinner!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.