Author Topic: Harvesters struggle to recruit foreign crews during pandemic  (Read 409 times)

Offline EdinVA

Kansas harvester Mike Keimig is growing increasingly anxious about whether the foreign seasonal workers he needs to run his nine combines and drive his grain trucks will arrive in time for the start of the winter wheat harvest, which is just weeks away.His regular crew mostly comprises farm kids from South Africa who return to work for him every year, but they are stuck overseas. The paperwork for about half of the 20 agricultural worker visas he has applied for remains in limbo at the shuttered U.S. Consulate in Johannesburg.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/harvesters-struggle-to-recruit-foreign-crews-during-pandemic

Offline EdinVA

Re: Harvesters struggle to recruit foreign crews during pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 04:30:17 pm »
So, they want to bring 20 "kids" from africa here to harvest wheat?
That has to cost $50-$100K per year just in housing, transportation and healthcare costs.
I don't understand how they are saving any money.... hire local?

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 04:49:23 pm »
That has to cost $50-$100K per year just in housing, transportation and healthcare costs.

There are 35 million unemployed Americans.  If he can't find laborers in this environment, then he needs to sell his equipment and flip burgers for a living.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:52:04 pm »

They can't get people from Mexico because Mexicans are dying from COVID and Mexico is lying about the outbreak.  You are right.  They should have appealed to all the people out of work and students.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 08:39:08 pm »
I'd wager they can get a pile of laid off Class A drivers in North Dakota, or on their way back to wherever. While still hauling crude oil and production water, but with 40-60% of the rigs laid down, there will be a surplus of drivers and in many other jobs as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:01:12 pm »
There are 35 million unemployed Americans.  If he can't find laborers in this environment, then he needs to sell his equipment and flip burgers for a living.
When they're getting $600 per week to remain unemployed, it may be a tall order.

Still, there was a time when American young people would do this sort of work. I remember dozens of students at my somewhat upper-middle-class high school in the Pittsburgh suburbs eager to get summer jobs at local truck farms. That was a long time ago, though ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mortarman

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 09:41:35 pm »
Butt these kids nowadays can't be bothered to put down their IPhones long enough to get out in the fields.

One plus though. Less invasive species poop in the fields an' on the vegetables.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 10:01:34 pm »
When they're getting $600 per week to remain unemployed, it may be a tall order.

Still, there was a time when American young people would do this sort of work. I remember dozens of students at my somewhat upper-middle-class high school in the Pittsburgh suburbs eager to get summer jobs at local truck farms. That was a long time ago, though ...
Meh. Technically, I was laid off, could have filed for unemployment, collected that $600/week on top of what I'd qualify for in UI, and honestly would have made more than I am making now. Nope. It's more important tome to stay in the game, so to speak, and eventually it will look better somewhere, too. Besides, filing for UI in this State is a pain in the butt. I haven't filled out that many forms in the last three jobs I have had.

Besides, right now is like 1982 or 1986 up here. The places I'd apply to are all flat, too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:02:29 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis