Author Topic: Trump order to paint border wall black could drive up cost $500 million or more  (Read 2465 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Tribune by Nick Miroff and Josh Dawsey, The Washington Post May 6, 2020

The president’s determination to have the border wall coated in black has fluctuated during the past several years. He has insisted that the dark color will enhance the wall's forbidding appearance and leave the steel too hot to touch during summer months.

President Trump is once more pushing to have his border wall painted black, a design change that is projected to add at least $500 million in costs, according to government contracting estimates obtained by The Washington Post.

The president’s determination to have the steel bollards coated in black has fluctuated during the past several years, and military commanders and border officials believed as recently as last fall that they had finally talked him out of it. They consider the black paint unnecessary, costly and a significant long-term maintenance burden, and they left it out of the original U.S. Customs and Border Protection design specifications.

The Post obtained a copy of painting estimates that federal contracting officials produced, and it shows costs ranging from $500 million for two coats of acrylic paint to more than $3 billion for a premium “powder coating” on the structure’s 30-foot steel bollards, the high end of the options the officials have identified.

The White House has not yet chosen a grade of paint, but Trump has insisted for years that the barrier should be black to discourage climbers. He has favored a shade known as “flat black” or “matte black” because of its heat-absorbent properties.

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/06/trump-border-wall-paint-it-black/

Offline LegalAmerican

Chump change.  GO FOR IT POTUS.   NO ONE CARED THE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO IRAN/IRAQ.  Don't quibble now.  Our country is lost. GO BLACK...YOU NEVER GO BACK.   HA!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Paint it black, it absorbs sunlight and gets hot. Very hot.

Ever grab a piece of black metal that's laid out in the sun?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Sorta. Ever grabbed a piece of metal painted Hugger Orange that's been laying out in the sun?

Offline Smokin Joe

Sorta. Ever grabbed a piece of metal painted Hugger Orange that's been laying out in the sun?
Can't say I have.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Can't say I have.

Really, the parts that matter are metal and hot sun.

I had a spud bar that was kinda a deep purpley red... Got hot as heck, and half the time I would lose it in the grass for it's dark earthy tone... So I scuffed it up and painted it white. Still every bit as hot. So I painted it yellow so I could still find it and it wouldn't hurt my eye to look at it... The color didn't matter to the heat.

But I also know better than to have a black interior on my truck.
Go figger  :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:31:50 am by roamer_1 »

Offline LegalAmerican

YES.  And each year the ILLEGALS....cost us $746.3 BILLION DOLLARS!  Each year, from IMMIGRATION SITE....now blocked from view. EACH YEAR.  Again, chump change...for all the expense and deaths, drugs, the ILLEGALS COST US. 
WELFARE!  FREE MONEY IF THEY FILE 1040..they use E.I.C. and child credit. Receive back about 10K...then they can go back 3 years, and receive another 30K.  We are raped in so many ways.  MS-13. DRUG CARTELS.  POTUS IS CLEANING THAT OUT.

Oh, then the coyote's who kidnappe  sp? children for sex slaves and women over the border. We have a picture of that. They make the kids wear diapers, so they don't have to stop when traveling, smuggling, them.  Children 7, 8 years old.
I guess that does a body good?  Rashes, infections, burns.  Lovely. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:34:50 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline LegalAmerican

And more jobs are created!  Painters need a job? 

Offline roamer_1

And more jobs are created!  Painters need a job?

woohoo! gubmint jobs!  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline LegalAmerican

woohoo! gubmint jobs!  *****rollingeyes*****

CONTRACTOR IS HIRED.  They pay painters & take fica, WH from them.  You have no problem with DO NOTHING DEMON-RATS IN CONGRESS.  WHY THIS?  It will stop expense of having so many ILLEGALS..$746.3 billion each year, each year!   

Did someone ever tell you, life is not perfect?  OH POTUS does NOT TAKE HIS $400 K PAY, EACH YEAR.  TIMES 4 IS? 

Offline roamer_1

CONTRACTOR IS HIRED.  They pay painters & take fica, WH from them.  You have no problem with DO NOTHING DEMON-RATS IN CONGRESS.  WHY THIS?  It will stop expense of having so many ILLEGALS..$746.3 billion each year, each year!   

Did someone ever tell you, life is not perfect?  OH POTUS does NOT TAKE HIS $400 K PAY, EACH YEAR.  TIMES 4 IS?

Paint don't help a damn thing, so no. First half decent sandstorm and you'll know what I mean.
We ain't got the dang money.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Yeah. I have. Weirdest thing. We don't really have "tornadoes" like the "rea"l tornadoes. But by freak of chance, darest not I say by Divine Inspiration, tornadoes happen around here all the time. Me and my dad had a piece land at out doorstep{s). Enough there to craftitize a good wood lathe and the base of a wood splitter. A couple more spinners and we were fledged.

One man's treasure is insured. Another man's treasure is gold.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Heck, Put some cups/bowls/buckets with small holes on top filled with black grease. Probable cheaper and better rust prevention. Added benefit of making poles harder to scale.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:49:54 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Paint don't help a damn thing, so no. First half decent sandstorm and you'll know what I mean.
We ain't got the dang money.

comon.

The only way to farm, season after season, is with roll of baling twine (wire) , pump pliers, crescent wrench, duct tape, and spray paint.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Heck, Put some cups/bowls/buckets with small holes on top filled with black grease. Probable cheaper and better rust prevention. Added benefit of making poles harder to scale.

Used to save all the tractor oil in 55 gallon barrels. Stick your fence posts in and then turn them over. But that was just for fence posts. If you wanted really good big long treated wood hang around when they were replacing old bridges with fancy iron.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Chump change.  GO FOR IT POTUS.   NO ONE CARED THE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO IRAN/IRAQ.  Don't quibble now.  Our country is lost. GO BLACK...YOU NEVER GO BACK.   HA!

*****rollingeyes*****
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline Smokin Joe

Black is good. It's a formal barrier.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Technically, @LegalAmerican, is correct.

And, as they say, it is the technique.

BLM Hydromet--Upper Snake Region.
Dropped it.

Under 14,000

My Indian spiritual guide, "He Who Walks Through Shallow Waters", says fishing will be better than last year's trolling.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Black is good. It's a formal barrier.

LOL

no...wait...

LOL

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline libertybele

I think driving up the cost of the wall is absurd and counterproductive - how much additional wall can be built with the $500 million it's going to cost to paint the darn things?  Once the wall is completed, then we can worry about what color to paint it. Let's get the darn thing built!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I think driving up the cost of the wall is absurd and counterproductive - how much additional wall can be built with the $500 million it's going to cost to paint the darn things?  Once the wall is completed, then we can worry about what color to paint it. Let's get the darn thing built!

The wall has always been there.

It is your compliance to the propaganda structured and administered by the FED/Gov that has blinded you.

Before you put a mask over your mouth, take the one off from your eyes.