Author Topic: [updated] 'Feeding my kids is not selfish': Defiant Texas salon owner sentenced to seven days in jai  (Read 4275 times)

Online roamer_1

Offline LegalAmerican

The Judge Who Locked Up the Dallas Salon Owner Has a History of Violence

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/content/2020-05-06-the-judge-who-locked-up-the-dallas-salon-owner-has-a-history-of-violence/?fbclid=IwAR0LfsfR_3L-hhie_rmNOBErRn8IRuLTytYxm5ahbmmQblgZDjmthm-gtxk

I guess my post was removed.  It is a male, black judge, and the woman is a pretty white, BLOND,  woman.  I said racist, racist Judge.  Why not?  We are always accused of it.  I say, THAT is his issue.  I hope he loses his position.  I would look at other cases too, by this man.  He has his OWN ISSUES TO DEAL WITH.  NOT TAKE IT OUT ON OTHERS.

Online roamer_1

Well @sneakypete I guess this explains what @LegalAmerican meant the other day.  Pretty telling.

I am all for the Salon owner but not sure how race factors into it?  I guess blond is important.  Maybe blue eyes too.  Eugenics anyone?

How do you feel about planned parenthood @LegalAmerican?

Yeah. At least at this juncture, racism is a distraction from the blatant power grab and persecution under the color of law. That should indeed be the focus.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Well @sneakypete I guess this explains what @LegalAmerican meant the other day.  Pretty telling.

I am all for the Salon owner but not sure how race factors into it?  I guess blond is important.  Maybe blue eyes too.  Eugenics anyone?

@Chosen Daughter

Beats me. I don't have a clue as to why her race or gender is relevant. Sure as hell isn't relevant to me. I don't care if she is green and has one eye at the end of  a stalk growing out of one of her ears.

I do care if she is a partisan Dim,though. There IS  a limit to how open-minded you can be before your mind falls out.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:02:16 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I don't think Patrick can serve her sentence but he sure as heck trim some fingernails like nobody's business.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Minute for 5/7/2020 by Michael Quinn Sullivan

•   After opening up her hair salon in defiance of orders from state, county, and city officials prohibiting the reopening of salons, Dallas small-business owner Shelley Luther was sentenced to seven days in jail on Tuesday without an opportunity for bond while appealing the decision, and she was assessed $7,000 in fines. As Brandon Waltens reports, thousands of Texans have spoken out on social media  and elsewhere – urging Gov. Greg Abbott to take action.

•   But in a statement on Wednesday, Abbott declined to do so. He weakly expressed disagreement with the “excessive action” taken against her. Left unsaid was that Dallas officials were acting under color of Abbott’s own rules.

•   State Rep. Mike Lang (R-Granbury) didn’t pull any punches in responding to the governor. He wrote on Twitter: “In a nutshell, Gov. Abbott calls the actions of a Judge in Dallas excessive, when the Judge was acting based on Gov. Abbott’s order. Gov. Abbott is now upset that a private citizen is in jail for operating a private business, which is a consequence of his order.”

•   Meanwhile, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton took strong stands in defense of Luther, urging her immediate release.

•   Paxton said the action against Luther was “a shameful abuse of judicial discretion, which seems like another political stunt in Dallas.” Separately, Patrick told Texas Scorecard’s Brandon Waltens during a press conference that he was willing to pay Luther’s fine and wanted her released. Patrick later tweeted: “I’m covering the $7K fine she had to pay and I volunteer to be placed under House Arrest so she can go to work and feed her kids.”

•   Robert Montoya reports on a rally in Dallas protesting the court action, as well as a letter 23 members of the State Republican Executive Committee sent the governor and attorney general.

•   Consider the irony of this entire situation. Over the last three months, Gov. Abbott has found the power to unilaterally shutdown Texas, collapse the state economy, and send 2.1 million Texans into unemployment. He even took time to regularly “applaud” over-the-top local actions implementing his orders.

•   Yet yesterday he told the media he simply did not have the power to pardon Shelley Luther.

•   We are to believe Gov. Abbott cannot get four of the seven gubernatorial appointees on the Texas Paroles and Pardons Board to let him pardon someone who has been unjustly deprived of her due process rights, as well as her liberty and property? Has he tried?

•   It would seem in Gov. Abbott’s Texas, accused drug dealers and rapists are more justly treated than a small bsuinesswoman trying to provide for her family and employees.

•   Putting a more personal face to the unemployment crisis brought on by state and local government officials, more than two-thirds of Texas Minute readers yesterday said they or someone close to them had lost a job.

•   With more than 2.1 million Texans out of work, there are a lot of hurting families around the state. It’s time to stop waiting for permission, Texans need to reopen Texas.

Number of the Day

$7,000​

Amount of money donated by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick to a “GoFundMe” fundraising page setup to benefit Shelley Luther, paying the unjust fines levied by the Dallas court.

Quote-Unquote

“ ‘Emergencies’ have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.”

– F.A. Hayek​

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

She should be out of the slammer by noon and enjoying her half-million, "if properly applied."  Why do I fear that leaves too much wiggle room for a crooked Judge?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Just breaking:  Texas Supreme Court orders her release from jail.

Offline skeeter

My faith in the system is (partially) restored.

In Texas, at least.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Best outcome possible.

I am glad Abbott didn't get into a pissing match with that Lowlife Judge in Dallas.  He's above that.

SCOTX bitch slapped him good didn't they?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:02:30 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Now that same Supreme Court needs to look at removing the pugilist Judge.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

There's still a $7k fine on the barrel head...

Offline Applewood

Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick pays fine for salon owner who refused to close

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-salon-owner-shelley-luther-fine-paid-lt-governor-dan-patrick/

Offline Idiot

I think the $500,000 in GoFundMe money should cover it...lol.  The judge should APOLOGIZE TO HER!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas Supreme Court orders release of salon owner jailed for reopening amid pandemic
By Kaelan Deese - 05/07/20 12:13 PM EDT

The Supreme Court of Texas on Thursday issued an order to release Shelley Luther, who was previously jailed for reopening her salon amid pandemic lockdown restrictions.

Luther's case has led to multiple Texas officials stepping up in her defense, calling her sentence by district court judge Eric Moyé a "shameful abuse of judicial discretion," Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said.

The order calls for a response to the request by May 11, by writ of habeas corpus still pending by the Court.

This is a developing story.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/496594-texas-supreme-court-orders-release-of-salon-owner-jailed-for-reopening
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

I think the $500,000 in GoFundMe money should cover it...lol.  The judge should APOLOGIZE TO HER!

Well, that won't happen.  This clown still thinks he did the right thing.  But now with new orders in place, thanks to Governor Abbott. perhaps his nonsense won't happen again.

Online roamer_1

Online roamer_1

I think the $500,000 in GoFundMe money should cover it...lol. 

That's good too, but not right. It needs to be made right.

The judge should APOLOGIZE TO HER!

That's right.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick pays fine for salon owner who refused to close

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-salon-owner-shelley-luther-fine-paid-lt-governor-dan-patrick/

Why?  He needed to vacate and expunge the penalty. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Why?  He needed to vacate and expunge the penalty.

Abbot has shown a willingness to vacate the jail, but the $7K fine stands. And, as @roamer_1 rightly points out, that should be lifted as well, and the Judge needs to be forced to apologize to her for his dressing her down and demanding she apologize for feeding her kids, and the families of her employees.  After that, the Judge needs to be sacked, by whatever means the State of TX does it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

Guys, in a perfect world, the judge would vacate the sentence, apologize and what not, but in the real world I doubt any of these things will ever happen.  So I for one am going to be grateful Miss Luther can go home to her family, reopen her shop and hopefully, get back to some kind of normalcy and maybe put this all behind her. 

While I've seen a lot of people step up and do good in a crisis, there will always be those who won't.    This judge showed no mercy.  Technically, he might have been right for enforcing a governor's order, but like most judges, he had some leeway as to how to deal with Miss Luther's situation.  He chose to be a hard *bleep*.  Well, I happen to think somewhere along the line, his callousness will come back upon him.  Someday, he might be looking for forgiveness or leniency himself and he may not get it. 

So I say, let it go.

Mods:  Sorry if the above borders on religion, but I happen to think most people, regardless of faith (or of no faith) know what I'm talking about and have a similar viewpoint.    But I'll accept it you disagree and delete the above.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Guys, in a perfect world, the judge would vacate the sentence, apologize and what not, but in the real world I doubt any of these things will ever happen.  So I for one am going to be grateful Miss Luther can go home to her family, reopen her shop and hopefully, get back to some kind of normalcy and maybe put this all behind her. 

While I've seen a lot of people step up and do good in a crisis, there will always be those who won't.    This judge showed no mercy.  Technically, he might have been right for enforcing a governor's order, but like most judges, he had some leeway as to how to deal with Miss Luther's situation.  He chose to be a hard *bleep*.  Well, I happen to think somewhere along the line, his callousness will come back upon him.  Someday, he might be looking for forgiveness or leniency himself and he may not get it. 

So I say, let it go.

Mods:  Sorry if the above borders on religion, but I happen to think most people, regardless of faith (or of no faith) know what I'm talking about and have a similar viewpoint.    But I'll accept it you disagree and delete the above.
Sorry, but the judge never proved that the governor's order was actually lawful.

Just because a governor orders something does not mean it is within the law.

There is something called constitutional law and constitutional liberties.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

Sorry, but the judge never proved that the governor's order was actually lawful.

Just because a governor orders something does not mean it is within the law.

There is something called constitutional law and constitutional liberties.

Well, I don't know that the judge has to "prove" anything.  But, see, this is what I mean. We are looking for "justice" against the judge, looking to force him to make it right and IMHO that's not going to happen.   This is why I say, let it go.  He will get his someday.

By the way, I've said the same thing about Hillary.  She will never formally answer for her misdeeds.  But in some way, I think she is paying for them and will pay for them in the future.  I believe something similar will happen to this judge.