Author Topic: [updated] 'Feeding my kids is not selfish': Defiant Texas salon owner sentenced to seven days in jai  (Read 4276 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 washingtonexaminer.com
'Feeding my kids is not selfish': Defiant Texas salon owner sentenced to seven days in jail and fined $3,000 for opening business
by Spencer Neale  | May 05, 2020 08:43 PM

Texas businesses hoping to reopen their shuttered storefronts might be in for a rude and costly awakening.

Dallas hair salon owner Shelley Luther was sentenced to seven days in prison and charged with thousands of dollars in penalties on Tuesday after she decided to open her business amid an executive order from Republican Gov. Greg Abbott to remain closed.

Judge Eric Moye lashed out at Luther, accusing her of placing her ideas of liberty and freedom above the welfare of the Texan people.

"That you now see the error of your ways and understand that the society cannot function when one's own belief in a concept of liberty permits you to flaunt your disdain for the rulings of duly elected officials," Moye said. "That you owe an apology to the elected officials for whom you disrespected for flagrantly ignoring and, in one case, defiling their orders, which you now know obviously applies to you."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/feeding-my-kids-is-not-selfish-defiant-texas-salon-owner-sentenced-to-seven-days-in-jail-and-fined-3-000-for-opening-business
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:02:10 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdinVA

Re-Elect Judge Moyé
 Democrat
 14th Civil District Court
 Dallas County

http://judgemoye.com/about-judge-moye.html

Figures....

Offline roamer_1

This is a travesty, and she should appeal.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Dallas salon owner who reopened despite coronavirus restrictions gets 7 days in jail
Fox News, May 5, 2020

A Texas salon owner was given seven days in jail on Tuesday after she refused to apologize for defying coronavirus related restrictions by remaining open for business.

Dallas business owner Shelley Luther was given a choice: She could offer an apology for selfishness, pay a fine and shutdown until Friday, or serve jail time.

"I have to disagree with you, sir, when you say that I'm selfish because feeding my kids is not selfish," she told the judge. "I have hairstylists that are going hungry because they would rather feed their kids. So sir, if you think the law is more important than kids getting fed, then please go ahead with your decision. But I am not going to shut the salon."

After her refusal to show contrition, bailiffs led her away to be booked. Her sentence reportedly symbolizes the seven-days she stayed open, despite county regulations.

Luther had been cited by city officials but chose to ignore the warnings. She must also now pay a $7,000 fine.

Gov. Greg Abbott held a press conference Tuesday about the reopening of barbershops and salons, which is set to take place on Friday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dallas-salon-owner-reopened-coronavirus-restrictions-jail

She could offer an apology for selfishness, pay a fine and shutdown until Friday, or serve jail time.

"An apology for selfishness" --- this makes my blood run cold.  What the hell is happening in the United States?

.@GregAbbott_TX people around you talk about "criminal justice reform." Well, if its good enough for gang-bangers and meth traffickers, it's good enough for #ShelleyLuther #pardonshelleyluther— Daniel Horowitz (@RMConservative) May 6, 2020

https://twitter.com/RMConservative/status/1257836499573313536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

7 days in jail for cutting hair?? This is NUTS. And government officials don’t get to order citizens to apologize to them for daring to earn a living. https://t.co/3rulRlN0gE— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) May 6, 2020

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1257840863197179905?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Call the Governor, Senator.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/shelley-luther-fund

$128,293 raised of $250,000 goal

donors

shares

followers

Offline LegalAmerican

"An apology for selfishness" --- this makes my blood run cold.  What the hell is happening in the United States?

DITTO.  That is a liberal JUDGE.  They are all nuts. POWER HUNGRY. 

Offline mortarman

DITTO.  That is a liberal JUDGE.  They are all nuts. POWER HUNGRY.

Left-wing Fascist's beliebe they are the only ones who should have total authority over our lives. Time for the "Tree of Liberty" to be fed.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Applewood

I've said it elsewhere -- it's nuts to keep these salons closed, allegedly because they are unsafe since stylists can't practice social distancing.  I had a doctor appointment yesterday -- he examined me up close and personal.  He and I both wore masks and all other precautions were taken.  So if he can practice medicine without social distancing, but taking all other precautions,  why can't a salon do the same?

At least Texas is going to open their salons.  My state isn't even talking about a timetable for opening.  Stupid liberal fascists.

As an aside -- I don't trust GoFundMe, so I'm going to look for a more reliable way of donating to the salon or Miss Luther directly.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Where is Abbott with all of this?

Does he support jail time?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dallas Salon Owner Shelley Luther Fined and Jailed

Texas Scorecard By Robert Montoya May 5, 2020

https://texasscorecard.com/metroplex/dallas-salon-owner-shelley-luther-fined-and-jailed/

Luther’s hearing on the temporary restraining order—in Dallas County’s 14th District Court, presided over by District Judge Eric Moye—was held on May 5. Luther’s supporters gathered outside the court.

That same day, Abbott announced at a press conference that cosmetology salons, barber shops, and other related businesses could reopen on May 8 with restrictions.

Moye resumed the hearing after Abbott’s announcement and said a writ of mandamus appeal filed by Luther’s attorney, Warren Norred, had been denied.

“Hopefully, this experience has brought you to the realization that because you believe there’s something you want to do, you do not have the right to independently supersede state law,” Moye told Luther.

Moye then gave Luther an opportunity to decide the level of her own punishment by apologizing.

“If you would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge that your actions were selfish, putting your own interests ahead of those in the community in which you live; that they disrespected the executive orders of the state, the orders of the county, and this city; that you now see the error of your ways and understand that the society cannot function when one’s own belief in the concept of liberty permits you to flaunt your disdain for the rulings of duly elected officials; that you owe an apology to the elected officials who you disrespected by flagrantly ignoring and, in one case, defiling their orders which you now know obviously regard to you; that you know the proper way in an ordered society to engage concerns you may have had is to hire a lawyer and advocate for change, an exception, or amendment to laws that you find offensive.”

Luther stood up and spoke in reply:

“I have to disagree with you, sir, when you say that I’m selfish, because feeding my kids is not selfish. I have hair stylists that are going hungry because they’d rather feed their kids. So, sir, if you think the law is more important than kids getting fed, then please go ahead with your decision, but I am not going to shut the salon.”

Upon hearing that, Moye handed down his judgement.

“It is hereby ordered, judged, and decreed the defendant Shelley Luther having been found in criminal contempt of this court is hereby remanded to the custody of the Sheriff of Dallas County as punishment for her violation of this court’s order,” he said.

Luther must serve seven days for criminal contempt of court and seven days for civil contempt of court, both to be served concurrently. The location of her imprisonment will be decided by the Dallas County sheriff.

Concerned citizens may sign a petition asking Abbott to pardon Luther.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Where is Abbott with all of this?

Does he support jail time?

Last I heard, Abbott's is pretty much full time responding to County Judge's requests for clarifcation of his Re-open plan.
AG is probably the one who should be weighing in.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

The last thing hairdressers want is to spread disease among customers.  Our governor is a complete idiot.  We have experienced 46 deaths per million, and in response, he has thrown 20% of the work force into unemployment.

Taxpayers should just ignore the shutdown orders.  I paid my barber cash for a house call this morning, and am negotiating with other "non essential" human beings as needed.

Offline mountaineer

Democrat Dallas Judge Eric Moye Who Sentenced Shelley Luther to 7 Days in Jail for Opening Her Hair Salon Is an Obama Loyalist
By Joe Hoft
Published May 6, 2020 at 7:38am

Of course he is – Dallas Judge Eric Moye is a Democrat and an Obama faithful.

More from Gateway Pundit
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

The last thing hairdressers want is to spread disease among customers.  Our governor is a complete idiot.  We have experienced 46 deaths per million, and in response, he has thrown 20% of the work force into unemployment.

Taxpayers should just ignore the shutdown orders.  I paid my barber cash for a house call this morning, and am negotiating with other "non essential" human beings as needed.

We're at the point now where there is no more risk of infection today than there has been every year at this time of year. It's complete insanity and a perfect example of how dangerous bureaucrats and politicians are.

Offline Mod1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We're at the point now where there is no more risk of infection today than there has been every year at this time of year. It's complete insanity and a perfect example of how dangerous bureaucrats and politicians are.

How many times must this be proven?  I've come to detest most Judges, because they are the reason the legal system is too byzantine for us poor schlubs to understand to the point of being required to hire a lawyer for the most simple of cases.  Judges like this clown won't hear pro per cases fairly.  If you show up in court without a lawyer, they will simply ignore your arguments and find against you, even if you have an airtight case.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdinVA

How many times must this be proven?  I've come to detest most Judges, because they are the reason the legal system is too byzantine for us poor schlubs to understand to the point of being required to hire a lawyer for the most simple of cases.  Judges like this clown won't hear pro per cases fairly.  If you show up in court without a lawyer, they will simply ignore your arguments and find against you, even if you have an airtight case.

Exactly... The accuser (government) is the one required to have the air tight case, not the accused... somewhere we got all crossed up

Offline GrouchoTex

Embarrassed that some judge in my own state did this.

I hope she sues and wins.

I hope she wins enough that she only has to cut hair if she wants to.

Offline GrouchoTex

That part bothered the hell out of me, too.
I am glad she did not do that.
No one should ever have to apologize for LEGALLY providing for their families.
She had a license to cut hair from the State (which is also a scam), so she should have been able to, like anyone else, us discretion and common sense and be allowed to do her job.

Offline EdinVA

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on Wednesday sent a letter urging a Dallas judge to free a woman he sent to jail a day earlier after she refused to apologize for keeping her hair salon open in violation of Gov. Greg Abbott's order aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.
Soon after, Abbott said he agreed with his attorney general on the matter.
Paxton, whose office said Shelly Luther was "unjustly jailed" in a release, told Dallas County State District Judge Eric Moyé that he had abused his discretion and emphasized that the woman was keeping her business open in order to feed her family.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-ag-tells-judge-to-free-dallas-woman-unjustly-jailed-for-operating-salon

Offline Applewood

bravo to AG Paxton.     :yowsa:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Fat chance of the Judge re-sentencing her.  He did it to make an example out of somebody who doesn't Respect Mah Authoritah!  It's a matter of pride and principle.  If the Governor wants to do something about this, he'll have to Pardon her.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: