Author Topic: 'I am truly sorry': Airbnb laying off a quarter of its employees  (Read 423 times)

Offline bilo

Rental company Airbnb is laying off 25% of its employees as the coronavirus pandemic ravages the travel industry.

The startup’s CEO announced the layoffs in an email to workers on Tuesday. Brian Chesky, who is also one of the company’s co-founders, said that the business has been “hit hard” during the health crisis, and revenue is predicted to be half of what it was last year.

“We are collectively living through the most harrowing crisis of our lifetime, and as it began to unfold, global travel came to a standstill,” Chesky said in the letter, according to CNN Business.

Airbnb, which allows people to rent out rooms or residences for any given period of time, said it plans to provide employees in the United States 12 months of health insurance through the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act and employees abroad insurance through the end of the year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/i-am-truly-sorry-airbnb-laying-off-a-quarter-of-its-employees
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Re: 'I am truly sorry': Airbnb laying off a quarter of its employees
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:07:51 pm »
I can't tell you how happy I am to see this. It's nice to see some good news.

Let me tell you about AirBNB. It's one of the sleaziest companies I've ever had to deal with. I own apartment buildings and had a tenant renting out their apartment (illegally) through AirBnB. I attempted to contact AirBnB for days to inform them that the apartment was not for daily rental by them. They make it impossible to reach them so they don't have to accept liability. I evicted the tenant, but was never able to reach anyone at AirBnB.

I will be dancing for joy if this company is put out of business because of the Wuhan Virus.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home