Author Topic: 'We have flattened the curve': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announces plans for soft reopening  (Read 494 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'We have flattened the curve': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announces plans for soft reopening
Washington Examiner, May 4, 2020

Virginians anxious to escape the state's lockdown are in luck after the state's governor announced a soft reopening of the economy as soon as next week.

During his daily coronavirus briefing, Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam said he was considering phase one of a plan to reopen, which will allow Virginians to get their hair cut and restaurants to serve customers with limited seating.

"We have flattened the curve, and our hospitals have not been overwhelmed," Northam said. "I am keenly aware that it has come with a tremendous cost. Now we can start to move into a new phase of our response."

"We must not relax our vigilance or think that the risk has passed," Northam added. "To be clear, we are not entering phase one today nor this week. Based on the data, I expect that we may be able to enter it as soon as next week. Today, I'm going to outline what our phased approach of easing restrictions will look like and when that will happen."

Northam said Virginians were still safest when they are at home and suggested residents refrain from large gatherings of more than 10 people. Face masks in public are recommended, and Northam said Virginia citizens should still practice social distancing to the best of their abilities.

Northam announced that phase one of Virginia's reopening would last between two to four weeks or longer, depending on how many become infected with the virus.

"Here's the bottom line: You'll be able to get your hair cut, but you'll need an appointment," Northam added. "It means you can go out to eat again, but restaurants will use less of their seating so to spread people out more. Employees will wear face coverings, and they'll do more cleaning. Phase one means more retail establishments can be open, but they'll have to operate at lower capacity."

Northam also said the state would "accommodate the needs of churches" as legal battles between houses of worship and state officials boiled over this week.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/we-flattened-the-curve-virginia-gov-ralph-northam-announces-plans-for-soft-reopening-next-week

Thank you Mr. President for calling out this jackass by name during last evening's town hall.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:04:14 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Here's a little more info:

Northam extends executive order closing nonessential businesses and says the state will open in a three-phase plan
ABC/Richmond, May 4, 2020

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Gov. Ralph Northam presented his reopening guidelines for Virginia today during his update on the coronavirus outbreak in the commonwealth.

Northam said the state will have three phases to open up. Phase I will allow businesses to re-open with limitations.

The state will be publishing specific health and guidelines for businesses to follow during this phase, according to Northam. For example, people can go to the hair salon but will need to make an appointment and restaurants can reopen but will need to limit their seating to allow for social distancing.

“We will accommodate the needs of churches and houses of worship to gather in person, but social distancing still matters even at church,” Northam said.

He said phase I will likely last three weeks and won’t happen until at least next week.

After phase I, Northam said the state will go into phase II. This will lift some of the restrictions the state is under, but life will not go back to normal.

He said phases II and III will likely also last 3 weeks as long as the health data supports it.

Northam said they will look to moving into phase III after their is no rebound in cases for “a sustained period of time.”

The governor said even when the state is ready to move into a new phase, the virus will still present and people should remain vigilant. He said it will not be irradicated until there is a vaccine.

In addition, Northam extended his executive order 53, which closes nonessential businesses and restricting social gatherings, through May 14. His original executive order closed non-essential businesses through April 23, but he extended the closure to May 8. He didn’t say if that would be extended again or not today.

“I anticipate moving into phase I on the 15th,” he said.

More:  https://www.wric.com/health/coronavirus/watch-northam-to-present-re-opening-guidelines-for-virginia-at-2-p-m/?fbclid=IwAR0P1i0OsFc2KqLaw5tr8rTq0Unc2WFlb9oDH8ZfFTkcjFoYF3BzQ-E84pk

Offline EdinVA

...remain vigilant
What does that mean????
Do we call the cops on people with a fever?

What does that mean????
Do we call the cops on people with a fever?

Don't give the fool any ideas @EdinVA