Author Topic: Former FDA Chief: Social Distancing 'Didn't Work as Well as We Expected'  (Read 540 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Former FDA Chief: Social Distancing 'Didn't Work as Well as We Expected'
Townhall, May 3, 2020

On CBS's Face the Nation on Sunday, former Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said social distancing and other mitigation measures put in place to stop the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus don't appear to be working as much as public health experts had hoped.

"When you look across the country, it's really a mixed bag," Dr. Gottlieb explained.

The former FDA chief said while New York is really driving the national statistics, other areas of the country are continuing to see a rise in the number of coronavirus cases.

"[W]hen you back out what’s happening in New York ... around the nation, hospitalizations and new cases continue to rise. There are about 20 states where we see a rising number of new cases. Illinois, Texas, Maryland, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, have a lot of new cases on a daily basis," Gottlieb said.

The commissioner stopped short of declaring the mitigation efforts a failure but said the numbers don't reflect the results that experts were hoping to see.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronsonstocking/2020/05/03/former-fda-chief-on-social-distancing-didnt-work-as-well-as-we-expected-n2568108

Offline roamer_1

Yeah... Go figger...  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah. Let a nation's teenagers out of school and expect them to stay 6 feet apart?
They what? They didn't?
Hoodathunkit?

Other cultural behaviours may apply.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

Social distancing is not really happening in my neighborhood.  Neither is wearing a face covering.  And forget self-isolation.  Yesterday, it was warm here. Everyone it seemed was outside.  Not just teenagers either.  I've done what I was told for several weeks now and yes, it is getting old.  Just can't keep people away from each other for so long.  Many of us need face-to-face interaction.  There are protests now, but I see them getting bigger and uglier as we get into summer.  This has to end.

Offline Smokin Joe

Social distancing is not really happening in my neighborhood.  Neither is wearing a face covering.  And forget self-isolation.  Yesterday, it was warm here. Everyone it seemed was outside.  Not just teenagers either.  I've done what I was told for several weeks now and yes, it is getting old.  Just can't keep people away from each other for so long.  Many of us need face-to-face interaction.  There are protests now, but I see them getting bigger and uglier as we get into summer.  This has to end.
It will. As noted, sunlight kills the virus quickly. People need to get back to work, rebuild businesses, lives, stand on their own two feet again, and the need is not just financial. Providers exist to provide, builders to build. We crave that sense of accomplishment, which is why being idle chafes so much.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

It will. As noted, sunlight kills the virus quickly. People need to get back to work, rebuild businesses, lives, stand on their own two feet again, and the need is not just financial. Providers exist to provide, builders to build. We crave that sense of accomplishment, which is why being idle chafes so much.

The ones I feel for are those confined to nursing homes and other facilities.  My best friend has an uncle, age 97.  Up until January he was still very active -- went to the gym three times a week, still traveled a lot.  But he became ill and as he declined, it was decided in early March, he should go to a nursing facility.    Then all this virus stuff started and he hasn't seen his family in weeks.  At least he is still lucid enough to know why the family can't visit.  There are so many whom are so incapacitated, they don't understand why they are being left alone.  It's painful for everyone concerned. 

Offline Idiot

Yeah. Let a nation's teenagers out of school and expect them to stay 6 feet apart?
They what? They didn't?
Hoodathunkit?

Other cultural behaviours may apply.
LOLOLOL...isn't that the truth.  I see kids everywhere right next to each other.  Maybe the raging hormones? LOLOLOL

Offline Idiot

Sunlight sure took a toll on everything here yesterday as it hit 101.  I put in my 3 mile walk at 3 pm and it was a bit on the toasty side.  Supposed to be even hotter today.  At least it's a dry heat...lolololol….whatever the heck that is.

Offline Smokin Joe

LOLOLOL...isn't that the truth.  I see kids everywhere right next to each other.  Maybe the raging hormones? LOLOLOL
The mating instinct has been known to overwhelm the instinct for self-preservation.

Lots of old school dads and uncles who could attest to that, but they ain't talking... :whistle:

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

The mating instinct has been known to overwhelm the instinct for self-preservation.

Lots of old school dads and uncles who could attest to that, but they ain't talking... :whistle:

That's right.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1