Author Topic: Bush Center Slams Trump: We Want More Migration  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Bush Center Slams Trump: We Want More Migration
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:40:49 am »
Bush Center Slams Trump: We Want More Migration
Breitbart, May 3, 2020

The economics director at President George W. Bush’s advocacy center slammed President Donald Trump’s popular, pro-American immigration policy.

The May 1 slam came just before Bush posted a May 2 video urging national unity in the coronavirus crash that has pushed more than 25 million Americans out of jobs.

“The most important thing to remember in this is that we don’t want [Trump’s] temporary policy to become permanent immigration policy,” economic director Laura Collins said in a video posted on the center’s Twitter account.

She continued: "We know immigrants are good for the economy. We know they’re good for our culture. We know they’re in this fight with us together, and we’re going to meet them working with us side by side in any recovery after the pandemic is over."

Trump’s April 22 immigration policy says the economic needs of American employees are more important than the immigration preferences of foreigners. His policy temporarily trims the annual inflow of legal immigrants and directs agencies to review visa worker programs in 30 days.

Polls show the public — including recent immigrants — is overwhelmingly aligned with Trump in prioritizing jobs for Americans over welcomes for legal immigrants.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/03/bush-center-slams-trump-we-want-more-migration/

Offline EdinVA

Re: Bush Center Slams Trump: We Want More Migration
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 01:51:18 am »
Open border globalists that want to subordinate the US to the UN

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 02:21:09 am »
It’s a wonder we survived 2000 till 2016 as a sovereign nation at all.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 02:26:17 am »
It’s a wonder we survived 2000 till 2016 as a sovereign nation at all.

W's first term wasn't bad, but his last 4 years were a complete disaster.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 02:31:51 am »

Well, given that Bush did NOTHING to prevent 911 and tangled us into 3 wars we did not want to win, in his first term, IMO bush was a disaster all the way around...

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:19 am »
Yes, he became a compassionate idiot! And what kind of morons at the Bush Center pushes for more immigration(I'm sure he didn't mean legal) in the middle of a national crisis with millions of Americans out of work and businesses shuttered? Exactly where do they propose those ignorant unskilled 'immigrants' work..........the welfare office lines?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 02:42:45 am »
"Compassionate Conservatism" is neither.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:49:31 am »
I read it @Right_in_Virginia and you are only bringing attention to the same things Trump has done.  Increased HB Visa's.  This EO is only temporary.  I'm sorry, but he also made an exception for migrant farm workers.  And now on the farms migrants are either coming with COVID or getting it in their tight living situations on the farms. 

There are plenty of people out of work and out of school to pick fruit and vegetable's.  Even plenty of illegal immigrants already in the US.

And don't deny it.  Here is his tweet in this video on FOX News.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/trumps-lies-about-coronavirus/608647/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:57:47 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 03:54:52 am »
Thirty Million Americans out of work and he wants to import a labor force?

Beyond "out of touch"....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 04:01:18 am »
And believe me at the time I gave Bush hell.  When he let President Vincente Fox come and dictate how we should treat Mexican immigrants.  I said The Fox was in the hen house.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 04:41:33 am »
About Trump EO

Several exceptions for migrant workers including those in the food industry and technology. 

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/21/trump-60-day-immigration-pause-green-card-permanent-resident/

Who isn't an exception?

Believe me I was no fan of Bush immigration policy.  Not impressed with Trump either.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 04:51:05 am »
About Trump EO

Several exceptions for migrant workers including those in the food industry and technology. 

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/21/trump-60-day-immigration-pause-green-card-permanent-resident/

Who isn't an exception?

Believe me I was no fan of Bush immigration policy.  Not impressed with Trump either.

But but butt... WAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!1   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:17:10 am »
But but butt... WAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!1   *****rollingeyes*****

And the crazy thing is he touts this EO like its something special.  Reality is that we should have stopped all labor immigration anyway because of COVID.  Not to spread it.  But the exceptions allow immigrants to come from and through Mexico where they are experiencing a yuuuuuuuge outbreak of COVID. 

There is also problems with the American companies inside Mexico shutting down because of COVID.  Trump has warned them to open back up.

US pushes Mexico to reopen border factories, even as more workers die from COVID-19

See article on: www.latimes.com By Kate Linthicum, Wendy Fry and Gabriela Minjares, Los Angeles Times 2 days ago

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 05:37:55 am »
I read it @Right_in_Virginia and you are only bringing attention to the same things Trump has done.  Increased HB Visa's.  This EO is only temporary.  I'm sorry, but he also made an exception for migrant farm workers.  And now on the farms migrants are either coming with COVID or getting it in their tight living situations on the farms. 

There are plenty of people out of work and out of school to pick fruit and vegetable's.  Even plenty of illegal immigrants already in the US.

And don't deny it.  Here is his tweet in this video on FOX News.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/trumps-lies-about-coronavirus/608647/

Wading through your hate looking for a kernel of rationality to latch on to is exhausting @Chosen Daughter and I've reached my limit.  Our interactions are over.     

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 05:39:32 am »
And the crazy thing is he touts this EO like its something special.  Reality is that we should have stopped all labor immigration anyway because of COVID.  Not to spread it.  But the exceptions allow immigrants to come from and through Mexico where they are experiencing a yuuuuuuuge outbreak of COVID. 

I have never believed his closed  border rhetoric... It's that 'big beautiful door' that told the tale.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
I voted for G.W. twice.
But now... he and the rest of his family... should just go away.

Hard to admit it, but Jesse Jackson had it right:
"Stay outta da Bushes!"
(at least I think that quote came from him...)

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 10:48:31 pm »
I voted for G.W. twice.
But now... he and the rest of his family... should just go away.

Hard to admit it, but Jesse Jackson had it right:
"Stay outta da Bushes!"
(at least I think that quote came from him...)

You are right @Fishrrman   happy77

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 11:05:15 pm »
6 minutes ago#18. MY OLD POST

President TRUMP has talked about this at every rally and press conference!  First HE FOLLOWS THE LAWS!
second., CONGRESS WILL NOT CHANGE THE LAWS THAT HARM AMERICANS. So much for helping minorities, who now stab us in the back!  IMMIGRATION LAWS  that allow people from Africa, Asia,LATIN AMERICA, into America. THANK JFK, LBJ, TEDDY KENNEDY. NOW DEMON-RATS WON'T CHANGE LAWS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. Immigration Since 1965.  HISTORY.COM EDITORS

CONTENTS
Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965
Immediate Impact
Continuing Source of Debate
Immigration in the 21st Century

The Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965, also known as the Hart-Celler Act, abolished an earlier quota system based on national origin and established a new immigration policy based on reuniting immigrant families and attracting skilled labor to the United States. Over the next four decades, the policies put into effect in 1965 would greatly change the demographic makeup of the American population, as immigrants entering the United States under the new legislation came increasingly from countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America, as opposed to Europe.

Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965

By the early 1960s, calls to reform U.S. immigration policy had mounted, thanks in no small part to the growing strength of the civil rights movement. At the time, immigration was based on the national-origins quota system in place since the 1920s, under which each nationality was assigned a quota based on its representation in past U.S. census figures. The civil rights movement’s focus on equal treatment regardless of race or nationality led many to view the quota system as backward and discriminatory. In particular, Greeks, Poles, Portuguese and Italians–of whom increasing numbers were seeking to enter the U.S.–claimed that the quota system discriminated against them in favor of Northern Europeans.

President John F. Kennedy even took up the immigration reform cause, giving a speech in June 1963 calling the quota system “intolerable.”

Did you know? A report in early 2009 by the DHS's Office of Immigration Statistics estimated the number of "unauthorized immigrants" in the United States at 10.7 million, down from 11.6 million in 2008. The recent decline in immigration coincided with the economic downturn in the U.S., but figures were still up from 2000, when illegal immigrants numbered some 8.5 million.

After Kennedy’s assassination that November, Congress began debating and would eventually pass the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965, co-sponsored by Representative Emanuel Celler of New York and Senator Philip Hart of Michigan and heavily supported by the late president’s brother,

Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts. During Congressional debates, a number of experts testified that little would effectively change under the reformed legislation, and it was seen more as a matter of principle to have a more open policy. Indeed, on signing the act into law in October 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson stated that the act “is not a revolutionary bill. It does not affect the lives of millions….It will not reshape the structure of our daily lives or add importantly to either our wealth or our power.”

Immediate Impact
In reality (and with the benefit of hindsight), the bill signed in 1965 marked a dramatic break with past immigration policy, and would have an immediate and lasting impact. In place of the national-origins quota system, the act provided for preferences to be made according to categories, such as relatives of U.S. citizens or permanent residents, those with skills deemed useful to the United States or refugees of violence or unrest. Though it abolished quotas per se, the system did place caps on per-country and total immigration, as well as caps on each category. As in the past, family reunification was a major goal, and the new immigration policy would increasingly allow entire families to uproot themselves from other countries and reestablish their lives in the U.S.

In the first five years after the bill’s passage, immigration to the U.S. from Asian countries–especially those fleeing war-torn Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia)–would more than quadruple. (Under past immigration policies, Asian immigrants had been effectively barred from entry.) Other Cold War-era conflicts during the 1960s and 1970s saw millions of people fleeing poverty or the hardships of communist regimes in Cuba, Eastern Europe and elsewhere to seek their fortune on American shores.

All told, in the three decades following passage of the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965, more than 18 million legal immigrants entered the United States, more than three times the number admitted over the preceding 30 years.

By the end of the 20th century, the policies put into effect by the Immigration Act of 1965 had greatly changed the face of the American population.

Whereas in the 1950s, more than half of all immigrants were Europeans and just 6 percent were Asians, by the 1990s only 16 percent were Europeans and 31 percent were of Asian descent, while the percentages of Latino and African immigrants had also jumped significantly. Between 1965 and 2000, the highest number of immigrants (4.3 million) to the U.S. came from Mexico, in addition to some 1.4 million from the Philippines. Korea, the Dominican Republic, India, Cuba and Vietnam were also leading sources of immigrants, each sending between 700,000 and 800,000 over this period.

Continuing Source of Debate
Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, illegal immigration was a constant source of political debate, as immigrants continue to pour into the United States, mostly by land routes through Canada and Mexico. The Immigration Reform Act in 1986 attempted to address the issue by providing better enforcement of immigration policies and creating more possibilities to seek legal immigration. The act included two amnesty programs for unauthorized aliens, and collectively granted amnesty to more than 3 million illegal aliens. Another piece of immigration legislation, the 1990 Immigration Act, modified and expanded the 1965 act, increasing the total level of immigration to 700,000. The law also provided for the admission of immigrants from “underrepresented” countries to increase the diversity of the immigrant flow.

The economic recession that hit the country in the early 1990s was accompanied by a resurgence of anti-immigrant feeling, including among lower-income Americans competing for jobs with immigrants willing to work for lower wages.

In 1996, Congress passed the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which addressed border enforcement and the use of social programs by immigrants.

Immigration in the 21st Century
In the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the Homeland Security Act of 2002 created the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which took over many immigration service and enforcement functions formerly performed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). With some modifications, the policies put into place by the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 are the same ones governing U.S. immigration in the early 21st century. Non-citizens currently enter the United States lawfully in one of two ways, either by receiving either temporary (non-immigrant) admission or permanent (immigrant) admission. A member of the latter category is classified as a lawful permanent resident, and receives a green card granting them eligibility to work in the United States and to eventually apply for citizenship.

There could be perhaps no greater reflection of the impact of immigration than the 2008 election of Barack Obama, the son of a Kenyan father and an American mother. (from Kansas), as the nation’s first African-American president. Eighty-five percent white in 1965, the nation’s population was one-third minority in 2009 and is on track  for a nonwhite majority by 2042.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 11:14:35 pm »
Wading through your hate looking for a kernel of rationality to latch on to is exhausting @Chosen Daughter and I've reached my limit.  Our interactions are over.   

It's like listening to a song played on a defective turntable. It just keep skipping back to the same place.

If you'll allow the dated reference.

Offline mortarman

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 11:36:09 pm »
I'm still completely amazed that nobody has made the connection between the ecoli infected lettuce outbreaks an' the fact that the lettuce came from fields harvested by the invasive species that an open borders policy has inflicted upon us.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 11:58:03 pm »
I'm still completely amazed that nobody has made the connection between the ecoli infected lettuce outbreaks an' the fact that the lettuce came from fields harvested by the invasive species that an open borders policy has inflicted upon us.

Oh, not just e coli, but EV D-68 and a host of other pathogens we never knew before.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:25 am »
When I was growing up toddlers throwing temper tantrums got their bare a** beat with a wooden spoon.

The political equivalent should be done to these guys.

We got mass population thrown out of work and they're worried about this crap?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:12 am »

Truth hurts.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:58 am »
When I was growing up toddlers throwing temper tantrums got their bare a** beat with a wooden spoon.

The political equivalent should be done to these guys.

We got mass population thrown out of work and they're worried about this crap?

FACTS.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 12:28:25 am »

Correct.  More than just lettuce. Cantaloupe.  Watermelon.  The migrants poop in the fields and pick the produce.