Author Topic: All roads into Gallup, New Mexico, are closing over "uninhibited" COVID-19 spread  (Read 672 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CBS News by Audrey McNamara 5/2/2020

New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham invoked the state's Riot Control Act on Friday to essentially lock down the city of Gallup after its mayor requested that she do so on Thursday. Under the act, all roads leading into Gallup are now closed off "to mitigate the uninhibited spread of COVID-19 in that city."

"Effective at 12 p.m., May 1, all roads into Gallup are closed. Businesses in the city of Gallup will close from 5 p.m. through 8 a.m. Vehicles may only have a maximum of two individuals. Residents of the city should remain at home except for emergency outings and those essential for health, safety and welfare," Grisham's office said in a press release.

Gallup, a city of nearly 22,000 people about 100 miles west of Albuquerque, has been particularly affected by the coronavirus. As of Friday, McKinley County, where Gallup is located, had 1,027 confirmed cases and 19 deaths, according to the New Mexico Department of Health. The county now has the highest number of cases in all of New Mexico, which has 3,411 cases in total.

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-new-mexico-riot-control-act-roads-closed-coronavirus/

Offline mountaineer

New Mexico Dem governor uses Riot Control Act to close all roads into town over virus
May 2, 2020
 Vivek Saxena

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, a Democrat who supports granting rights to illegal aliens, has used the state’s controversial Riot Control Act to completely lock down the reportedly hard-hit city of Gallup and close all roads leading into and out of town.

“Effective at 12 p.m., May 1, all roads into Gallup are closed. Businesses in the city of Gallup will close from 5 p.m. through 8 a.m. Vehicles may only have a maximum of two individuals. Residents of the city should remain at home except for emergency outings and those essential for health, safety and welfare,” she announced Friday. ...

Gallup is situated in McKinley County, which boasted 1,064 coronavirus cases as of Friday, meaning it boasted more than 30 percent of the state’s total count while only containing roughly 3 percent of the state’s total population.

Grisham’s order was issued in response to requests from outgoing Gallup Mayor Jackie McKinney and incoming Gallup Mayor Louis Bonaguidi. ...
Full story at BizPacReview

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

...  Those in violation of the order, which expires at noon Monday, will be punished with a misdemeanor charge.   ...
The Hill, "Governor closes all roads leading into New Mexico city grappling with coronavirus outbreak"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I guess a thousand cases and 19 deaths in a city of 22K is probably beyond curing the problem with fake masks.   :shrug:

That really is a "hot spot."  I wonder if they were in Nursing Homes?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Gallup is known as the "Heart of Indian Country" or "The Heart of Indians" because it is on the edge of the Navajo reservation and is home to members of the the Navajo, Hopi, and Zuni tribes.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I guess a thousand cases and 19 deaths in a city of 22K is probably beyond curing the problem with fake masks.   :shrug:

That really is a "hot spot."  I wonder if they were in Nursing Homes?
I'd say, at that point, there have probably been enough undiagnosed cases that they'll probably end up with a sharp decline once herd immunity kicks in.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd say, at that point, there have probably been enough undiagnosed cases that they'll probably end up with a sharp decline once herd immunity kicks in.

Gallup is spread along I-40, so closing all the roads in and out is problematic....

I ate lunch there once.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: