Author Topic: The Next Chapter of the Oil Crisis: The Industry Shuts Down  (Read 870 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Next Chapter of the Oil Crisis: The Industry Shuts Down
« on: April 29, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »

https://energynow.com/2020/04/the-next-chapter-of-the-oil-crisis-the-industry-shuts-down/?source=de&wtv=geology@nemont.net

Negative oil prices, ships dawdling at sea with unwanted cargoes, and traders getting creative about where to stash oil. The next chapter in the oil crisis is now inevitable: great swathes of the petroleum industry are about to start shutting down.

The economic impact of the coronavirus has ripped through the oil industry in dramatic phases. First it destroyed demand as lockdowns shut factories and kept drivers at home. Then storage started filling up and traders resorted to ocean-going tankers to store crude in the hope of better prices ahead.

Now shipping prices are surging to stratospheric levels as the industry runs out of tankers — a sign of just how distorted the market has become.

The specter of production shut-downs — and the impact they will have on jobs, companies, their banks, and local economies — was one of the reasons that spurred world leaders to join forces to cut production in an orderly way. But as the scale of the crisis dwarfed their efforts, failing to stop prices diving below zero last week, shut-downs are now a reality. It’s the worst-case scenario for producers and refiners.

North Dakota has shut in roughly a third of its production, and the pump jacks I have observed are moving so slowly as to be almost imperceptible (Hess wells, slowed way down).

The article notes this has spilled into the refinery operations as well.

FIll 'em up while fuel is cheap.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The Next Chapter of the Oil Crisis: The Industry Shuts Down
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 02:33:41 pm »

https://energynow.com/2020/04/the-next-chapter-of-the-oil-crisis-the-industry-shuts-down/?source=de&wtv=geology@nemont.net

North Dakota has shut in roughly a third of its production, and the pump jacks I have observed are moving so slowly as to be almost imperceptible (Hess wells, slowed way down).

The article notes this has spilled into the refinery operations as well.

FIll 'em up while fuel is cheap.
The best place to store the oil is in the ground, so shutting in production or reducing it makes sense.  Only exceptions is if well is in midst of flowback after frac.

The oil will still be there when prices return

Opinion: If Moscow and Riyadh think they can put the U.S. shale industry out of business, they’d better think again https://www.marketwatch.com/story/if-moscow-and-riyadh-think-they-can-put-the-us-shale-industry-out-of-business-theyd-better-think-again-2020-04-29?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:43:22 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 02:54:18 pm »
 :silly:
 And give up $10 billion per month profit.... not a chance..

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 03:08:00 pm »
?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 03:12:34 pm »

Large intergrated oils will end up coming up smelling like roses in a few years.  Cheap buyouts, and improved margins? Cha...ching.

In fact most of them like CVX and XOM are up 30-40% in equtiy price since the big dip last month.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 03:39:15 pm »
Large intergrated oils will end up coming up smelling like roses in a few years.  Cheap buyouts, and improved margins? Cha...ching.

In fact most of them like CVX and XOM are up 30-40% in equtiy price since the big dip last month.
happy77

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 03:46:18 pm »
happy77

I'm retired from big oil, and if I wasn't retired, I would have went "all in" last month. 

Some of the dip's Market Cap #'s for these companies were ridiculously low, and in fact, well below hard asset value.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 10:05:01 pm »
Looks like the USA is gonna go back to be a large "oil importer" again -- at least for the near-term future.

Might as well buy it from where it's cheap.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 10:26:51 pm »
Looks like the USA is gonna go back to be a large "oil importer" again -- at least for the near-term future...
Currently, storage is full, refineries are cutting back (due to lack of demand). So, with no place for the oil to go, and adequate supplies overseas, wells are being shut in. We have enough, and the only importers will be those refineries which get their supplies from the East because it is as/more convenient, often in the northeast.

There will be some adjustment when things start rolling again (lockdowns are lifted and America goes back to work), but we won't need to import oil, on balance, for a long time. Not only are there plenty of producing wells, the shut in and the Drilled but UnCompleted (DUC) wells represent a significant reserve, and there is still a lot left to develop when the time comes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:27:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis