Author Topic: Make room for bigger, better WiFi  (Read 788 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Make room for bigger, better WiFi
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:09:54 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Dwight Silverman April 28, 2020

Last week, the Federal Communications Commission agreed to add another chunk of radio spectrum for use with WiFi, an important decision for the future of wireless data.

It also means, as you may have guessed, that it will cost you some money if you want to take advantage of it.

The FCC gave the nod to unlicensed usage of the 6-GHz spectrum with an eye toward its use in WiFi. Modern residential and commercial WiFi routers send and receive data via the 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz bands, and this decision adds 6 GHz to the mix. It's a huge swath of spectrum, effectively quadrupling the amount of frequency space allotted to WiFi.

That's important because the WiFi bands are getting crowded. As more people add more devices to their residential and commercial networks — I have a total of 20 devices connected to my home network as I write this, for example — it begins to affect performance. Adding more spectrum gives WiFi some breathing room.

WiFi 6E will be considered an extension of WiFi 6. The 6-GHz band has the same theoretical maximum speed of 9.6 gigabits a second as the 5-GHz band on the WiFi 6 standard. But by adding lots more spectrum, routers and the devices that connect to them will have less interference and thus run faster because they're not crowding each other.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/techburger/article/Make-room-for-bigger-better-WiFi-15230107.php