Author Topic: The great Texas oil shutdown has begun  (Read 687 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The great Texas oil shutdown has begun
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:42:38 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  James Osborne , Sergio Chapa and Erin Douglas April 24, 2020

The mass shutdown of Texas oil fields has begun after an unprecedented crash that last week drove crude prices into negative territory for the first time in history. From the Permian Basin in the west to the Eagle Ford in the south, drilling rigs are getting pulled from operation, wells are getting plugged and layoff notices are going out fast, bringing an abrupt halt to one of the world’s great oil booms.

A decade after the shale revolution revived the state’s oil production -- eventually increasing five-fold to a record 5.4 million barrels a day in January - Texas oil and gas workers watched with mouths agape Monday as the price of the U.S. benchmark crude, West Texas Intermediate, fell to negative $37 on plunging energy demand and shrinking storage capacity.

One day in early April, oil field services giant Halliburton laid off more than 600 people across Texas and Oklahoma. Three days later, in a 24-hour span, five oil field services companies informed the Texas Workforce Commission they were laying off a combined 1,100 workers.

The next day, Houston-based Pacific Drilling laid off more than 80 crew members from its drilling ship in the Gulf of Mexico, the Pacific Sharav.

Since mid-March, more than 17,000 oil field layoffs have been announced across Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and New Mexico, according to analysis of state employment records.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/The-great-Texas-oil-shut-in-has-begun-15224199.php

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: The great Texas oil shutdown has begun
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:40:50 pm »
Another oil patch bust. The cycle never ends...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:53:30 pm »
When I was laid of by the space biz many of my fellow laid off workers migrated to the oil patch.

Now recently my son was laid off by the oil patch(for the 3rd time) and has now migrated to the space biz.

I guess what goes around comes around.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:43:35 pm »
My cousin works for one of the largest independent O&G Co.'s in West Texas.  They shut in ALL their production last week.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:43:56 pm »
This too will pass.

The industry always has cycles.  One lives with it.  Make a lot during good times and plan for those hard times.

The oil and gas ain't going anywhere and remains in the ground.  And the technology is already known.

While it is sad people are losing their jobs and businesses are folding, guess what?

Another generation of business startups and workers will appear and tap that oil.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:20:29 am »
This too will pass.

The industry always has cycles.  One lives with it.  Make a lot during good times and plan for those hard times.

The oil and gas ain't going anywhere and remains in the ground.  And the technology is already known.

While it is sad people are losing their jobs and businesses are folding, guess what?

Another generation of business startups and workers will appear and tap that oil.
Yeah, and if we're still around for that we can tell 'em about working worm's corner on a kelly rig...

Show them a picture because that's all changed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis