Author Topic: This respected market-timing model just flashed a bullish four-year outlook for stocks  (Read 568 times)

Online libertybele

IMHO this may hold true, but ONLY if Trump is re-elected.

This respected market-timing model just flashed a bullish four-year outlook for stocks

The median U.S. stock will produce an annualized price-only gain of 6.0% over the next four years. With dividends, that’s equivalent to nearly 8% annualized.

This cheerful forecast is produced by a market timing model that has an excellent track record predicting the market’s return over the subsequent four years. It is based on a single number that is printed each week in the Value Line Investment Survey. That number represents the median of the projections made by Value Line’s analysts of where the 1,700 widely-followed stocks they closely monitor will be trading in three- to five years’ time.

Researchers who have analyzed its market timing potential call this number the VLMAP, which stands for Value Line’s Median Appreciation Potential. They translate the number into a return forecast by searching for the formula that, when applied to the VLMAP, best fits the historical data.

One such study appeared in the Journal of Wealth Management in 2013, co-authored by Daniel Seiver, a member of the economics faculty at Cal Poly State University and editor of an investment advisory service named The PAD System Report. Seiver reported that the VLMAP “has strong medium- and long-horizon stock-return forecasting ability.” (Full disclosure: Seiver’s newsletter is not one that utilizes my firm to audit its returns.)........

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-respected-market-timing-model-just-flashed-a-bullish-four-year-outlook-for-stocks-2020-04-24?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't know if it would be wise to trust ANY "stock market model" right now...

Online libertybele

Agreed.  Definitely not.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

A couple of Old School strategies should be available now.

--Buy low

--Hold long term

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

A couple of Old School strategies should be available now.

--Buy low

--Hold long term

True -- but has the market hit its low?  It's very difficult to 'time' the market, especially now.  The only recent event that's been unexpected such as this pandemic was 9/11 -- this has thrown more people out of work and the country is in astronomical debt and printing more $$$ continues to be thrown at the situation.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
True -- but has the market hit its low?  It's very difficult to 'time' the market, especially now.  The only recent event that's been unexpected such as this pandemic was 9/11 -- this has thrown more people out of work and the country is in astronomical debt and printing more $$$ continues to be thrown at the situation.

I don't claim to know the exact bottom.

I am a real estate broker, not a stock broker.

I do better with the former, than the latter.

But both together are the way people store/invest for wealth.

Locally I am watching widely respected sources about real estate, in my area and nationally.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln