Author Topic: Farmer says his 61,000 chickens were euthanized as demand for eggs during pandemic drops  (Read 538 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Farmer says his 61,000 chickens were euthanized as demand for eggs during pandemic drops
By Zack Budryk - 04/21/20 08:36 PM EDT

A Minnesota contract egg farmer said 61,000 of his chickens were euthanized amid falling demand for eggs.

Closures of schools, restaurants and caterers has trickled down to farming, affecting egg producers as well as demand for milk and ripe lettuce. Kerry Mergen, who works near Albany Minn., told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that Daybreak Foods, which owned and paid to feed the chickens, made the decision after a fluid egg plant in Big Lake temporarily shut down last week and laid off 300 workers.

Mergen told the Star-Tribune a crew of about 15 workers arrived in the early hours of April 9 with carbon dioxide to euthanize the birds.

"They come in with carts, put them all in carts, wheel them up to the end, put a hose in that cart and gas them, then dump them over the edge into a conveyor and convey them up into semis and the semis haul them out," he said.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/494027-farmer-says-his-61000-chickens-were-euthanized-as-demand-for
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Who stopped eating eggs? We're eating the same amount as we always have.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Us too...you would think with everyone home their would be a shortage of eggs...didn't people buy them for Easter?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There's no egg glut or drop in demand--eggs are as pricey as ever here.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Us too...you would think with everyone home their would be a shortage of eggs...didn't people buy them for Easter?

I'm eating *more* eggs than usual; since my morning commute is now a walk to the home office I detour through the kitchen and fry up a couple, or Mrs HoustonSam will make me a sourdough/egg/ham breakfast sandwich.  Our grocery stores west of Houston have been very low on eggs; they've been completely out several times so we buy a bit extra when they are available.
James 1:20

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Generally low on eggs in this area, too, although seldom out. Still the cases are pretty empty.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis