Author Topic: Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside because of Covid-1  (Read 1834 times)

Online libertybele

@libertybele

Every time Trump signs off on one of those spending spree bills, he proves once again he's no conservative.  And the Republicans themselves are just as tax and spend as the Democrats. 

For both parties, this outbreak has been about winning elections, particularly the presidential one later this year.  Republicans know -- just as the Democrats always have -- that throwing money around is a sure way of getting votes.

To an extent, I agree with you.  However, the economy was doing great until the virus hit and IMHO it has turned political since then.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LadyLiberty

So far I have not had any problems getting groceries.  The week before the official quarantine it was more crowded than usual, but nowhere near as bad as before Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Since then, there are much less people in the store compared to before all of this started.  Kroger limits the number of customers to 1 per 120 sq ft, and I've never had to wait in line to get in.

Every Tuesday I make out a menu for the following week and make a list of what is needed that I don't already have.  I know which aisle everything is on, so I go straight to what I need and get out ASAP.  I have been able to get everything on my list, with the only issue being that I needed one ribeye but had to buy two because that was the smallest package they had.  It takes less time than before covid-19.  I have done zero panic buying.

Online libertybele

So far I have not had any problems getting groceries.  The week before the official quarantine it was more crowded than usual, but nowhere near as bad as before Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Since then, there are much less people in the store compared to before all of this started.  Kroger limits the number of customers to 1 per 120 sq ft, and I've never had to wait in line to get in.

Every Tuesday I make out a menu for the following week and make a list of what is needed that I don't already have.  I know which aisle everything is on, so I go straight to what I need and get out ASAP.  I have been able to get everything on my list, with the only issue being that I needed one ribeye but had to buy two because that was the smallest package they had.  It takes less time than before covid-19.  I have done zero panic buying.

You are very fortunate.  I was in the store a couple of weeks ago -- shelves were still bare with no toilet paper or paper towels, eggs, bread, cereal and crackers are scarce, limit on pasta and pasta sauce, limited quantities on bottled water,  and poultry is scarce.  Social distancing was put into practice, but few adhered to those limitations. Most people didn't have masks, including the cashiers. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You are very fortunate.  I was in the store a couple of weeks ago -- shelves were still bare with no toilet paper or paper towels, eggs, bread, cereal and crackers are scarce, limit on pasta and pasta sauce, limited quantities on bottled water,  and poultry is scarce.  Social distancing was put into practice, but few adhered to those limitations. Most people didn't have masks, including the cashiers.

Geezus, it's like trying to get plywood before a Hurricane.  If I lived there, I'd have the steel slat rails built in for my windows so I can slide those slats in to seal up the windows and doors to prep for the Hurricanes.  Along with other abatement modifications.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

Geezus, it's like trying to get plywood before a Hurricane.  If I lived there, I'd have the steel slat rails built in for my windows so I can slide those slats in to seal up the windows and doors to prep for the Hurricanes.  Along with other abatement modifications.

FL building code now requires that any home built after 2001 MUST have hurricane shutters; the design, and durability of those shutters must meet specific wind standards.  Most shutters provided by builders attach directly to the home.  You can go the additional cost of having rails placed and purchasing shutters that fit into those rails and then attached.  Lots of different options -- but very expensive.

I'm just hoping and praying that the U.S. doesn't get hit with a hurricane this year. Nowhere to go.  Nowhere to hide. I still have plenty of food, water and paper goods -- but I've dipped into that supply a bit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

disabled their ATMs.

@Applewood

That makes no sense at all to me. Why in the world would a bank disable their ATM's?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

disabled their ATMs.

@Applewood

That makes no sense at all to me. Why in the world would a bank disable their ATM's?

@sneakypete

I'm asking why about a lot of senseless things related to this virus. 

I will concede it's possible the machines ran out of money and there is no one to replenish them.  I just know they are "out of service." 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:58:22 pm by Applewood »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I'm asking why about a lot of senseless things related to this virus. 

I will concede it's possible the machines ran out of money and there is no one to replenish them.  I just know they are "out of service."

@Applewood

Following the "Never let a tragedy go unexploited" philosophy of the globalists,it is starting  to look like we will be going to a cashless society sooner than expected.

Which will result in the loss of ALL personal freedoms.

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

Following the "Never let a tragedy go unexploited" philosophy of the globalists,it is starting  to look like we will be going to a cashless society sooner than expected.

Which will result in the loss of ALL personal freedoms.

@sneakypete

I was reading something along those lines yesterday.  The premise was that during this coronavirus mess, since we may have to do our grocery shopping and other transactions online instead of in person, it's possible that even once this outbreak is over, we will still have to do everything online and cash will disappear. 

For me, it's not just the loss of freedoms; if we do go cashless, it will be a royal PITA.   For example, when I go to the grocery store, I pay cash for my groceries.  But I always get in line behind some *bleep* with a credit, debit or EBT card and the darn thing doesn't work, so we all have to wait till a store employee comes over to try to fix what's wrong.  And usually, the purchase is something cheap like a pack of gum.    Good Grief, People!  Don't you carry at least a few bucks? 

If this is going to be the new normal permanently, then put me on a rocket ship and send me to another planet 'cuz I won't want to live on this one.

Offline PeteS in CA

"Careless customers" are "probably the biggest threat" to workers right now, according to Marc Perrone, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers' union. The union said 85% of its grocery store member workers reported that customers are not practicing social distancing in stores.

Does this union operative have proof these store workers were infected by store customers rather than by coworkers or family or personal socializing or buses/trains or ...? And how many stores have aisles 9 feet wide or wider, which is necessary for 6' distancing without knocking stuff off shelves?

A less draconian (and less #Resist?) approach is what local stores do here, limit the number of customers in the stores when busy, open only every other check-out station, and have check-out lines marked for appropriate distancing. The local Target (and others, probably) allows customers to order online and pick up their orders at the door, which lessens the line of people going into the store.

IMO, stores' layouts are too individual, too adapted to specific buildings for government to be imposing one-size-fits-all regs. Given the flexibility, the managers of individual locations can cobble together the best combination of measures for their facility, workers, and customers.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

IMO, stores' layouts are too individual, too adapted to specific buildings for government to be imposing one-size-fits-all regs. Given the flexibility, the managers of individual locations can cobble together the best combination of measures for their facility, workers, and customers.

The store where I go was built in the late 80's or early 90's.  It is a smaller space with narrow aisles.  Now as i said, the chain has setup this one-way aisle thing with monitors at each end so you don't go the "wrong way" or go into an aisle that already has more than 2 people in it.  It's ridiculous and totally impractical.   

Now maybe one-way aisles will work in a newer store; the chain has a few huge mega-stores built only a few years ago that are more spacious with wider aisles.  But for older, smaller stores, these social distancing tactics just don't work.

Offline Applewood

County officials suggest people grocery shop on specific days based on last name

In the latest attempt to reduce crowding at grocery stores during the coronavirus pandemic, health officials in a Maryland county are asking residents to only do their shopping on certain days based on their last name.

Officials at the Calvert County Health Department asked residents in an announcement on Wednesday to "voluntarily limit trips for groceries to once every 5 days on the following schedule," listing two suggested dates each for five different groups of people, based on the first letter of their last names.

For instance, people with last names starting with A-C would shop on dates ending with 0 and 5.

https://www.today.com/food/maryland-county-asks-people-go-grocery-shopping-specific-days-t179117

**nononono*

Offline Hoodat

Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside because of Covid-19

Experts? Really?  So who are these experts?

However, some worker experts, union leaders and small grocery owners believe it has become too dangerous to let customers browse aisles, coming into close range with workers.

Oh, so now it's "some worker experts", none of whom are named.  Not virus experts.  Not contagion experts.  Not biohazard experts.  But "some worker experts" (who only make up part of the pool which includes union leaders and small grocery owners).  More fake news from CNN.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sooooo,what happens if they are out of baby wipes,baby food,milk,coffee,laundry detergent,etc,etc,etc on the day you are ALLOWED to shop there,leave the child out in the street for the wolves to eat,and learn how to live in dirty clothes and not drink coffee?

Yeah,what could go wrong with THAT plan?

Online libertybele

Sooooo,what happens if they are out of baby wipes,baby food,milk,coffee,laundry detergent,etc,etc,etc on the day you are ALLOWED to shop there,leave the child out in the street for the wolves to eat,and learn how to live in dirty clothes and not drink coffee?

No worries ... this plan was created by "experts".  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
@sneakypete

I was reading something along those lines yesterday.  The premise was that during this coronavirus mess, since we may have to do our grocery shopping and other transactions online instead of in person, it's possible that even once this outbreak is over, we will still have to do everything online and cash will disappear. 

For me, it's not just the loss of freedoms; if we do go cashless, it will be a royal PITA.   For example, when I go to the grocery store, I pay cash for my groceries.  But I always get in line behind some *bleep* with a credit, debit or EBT card and the darn thing doesn't work, so we all have to wait till a store employee comes over to try to fix what's wrong.  And usually, the purchase is something cheap like a pack of gum.    Good Grief, People!  Don't you carry at least a few bucks? 

If this is going to be the new normal permanently, then put me on a rocket ship and send me to another planet 'cuz I won't want to live on this one.
On a semi-related note, can you imagine how much of a goldmine this has been for the NSA? What, with all the communication that used to be in person now being funneled through online platforms they're already monitoring through PRISM (and even less secure platforms like Zoom) and all...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

No worries ... this plan was created by "experts".  *****rollingeyes*****

88devil

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I would imagine there are limits on certain essential items. If grocery store visits are to be limited to, say, one every five days, then the limits on essential items will have to come off. Otherwise, people just won't be able to get enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I would imagine there are limits on certain essential items. If grocery store visits are to be limited to, say, one every five days, then the limits on essential items will have to come off. Otherwise, people just won't be able to get enough.

@Smokin Joe

Can't wait to see celebs,politicians and their relatives,and people like Bill Gates standing in line to buy their allotted amount of toilet paper rolls.

Offline Applewood

@sneakypete

I can see riots erupting at my local supermarket when shoppers show up on the "wrong" day and are refused entry.    People around here are armed.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Next stop: central planning.

Offline mortarman

Wasn't it the Pantsuit Assassin who postulated that it was the patriotic right of every American to speak out against any administration they do not agree with?

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Can't wait to see celebs,politicians and their relatives,and people like Bill Gates standing in line to buy their allotted amount of toilet paper rolls.
I was referring to bottled water, among other things. The Sheryl Crow set only needs one square, anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mortarman

I'm not worried about TP. Last time I bought any was before the panic began an' I only bought a 4 pack of one ply 1000 squares per roll. I'm only halfway through that an' as backup I have a 16 inch tall stack of old telephone books, so I'm good. As far as water, I've been drinking tap water all my life an' I'm still here. My pantry is well stocked. I figger I can last at least 4 months on what I got. An' my rent is paid up till October. All I'd need would be the fiddling bits like milk, soda, eggs, bread an' cigars I can pick up easily at the corner convenience store which is ruled an essential bidniss. The convenience store has an ATM, so I can take care of my banking there as well. I figger that I'll only have to go to Wally-World or the supermarket once a month.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.