Author Topic: Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside because of Covid-1  (Read 1833 times)

Offline libertybele

Ok ... now thing ARE more than critical -- starting to cut off the food supply to people.  I'm tending to believe more and more that this virus is a means to control the populace.  People ARE going to revolt - they are already starting to push back.  The ONLY way that you can get delivery or curbside is with a credit card.  How about all those who don't have a credit or debit card???  Sure you can get a temporary debit card with cash ... but if the stores close up, how are you going to even get one of those?

Secondly, I don't want people picking out my darn food.  I'll go shop at a mom & pop store, until Big Brother decides to mandate shuttering them as well.

Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside because of Covid-19

Dozens of grocery store workers have died from the coronavirus, despite masks, temperature checks and capacity restrictions to keep them safe. So far, supermarkets have resisted the most draconian policy: banning customers from coming inside.
However, some worker experts, union leaders and small grocery owners believe it has become too dangerous to let customers browse aisles, coming into close range with workers. Grocery stores are still flooded with customers, and experts say it's time for large chains to go "dark" to the public and convert to curbside pickup and home delivery for food and other essential goods.
"Careless customers" are "probably the biggest threat" to workers right now, according to Marc Perrone, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers' union. The union said 85% of its grocery store member workers reported that customers are not practicing social distancing in stores.
"Anything that reduces the need for interaction with the public and allows for greater physical distancing will ultimately better protect grocery workers," said John Logan, professor and director of Labor and Employment Studies at San Francisco State University. "Shuttering stores and repurposing them for pickup and delivery only would be a positive step."

Many small, independent grocery stores have done this to protect their staff.
Mike Houston, general manager of Takoma Park Silver Spring Co-op in Takoma Park, Maryland, decided to close his grocery store to the public in late March, when the state announced a shelter-in-place order, and switch to curbside pickup...........

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/19/business/grocery-stores-coronavirus-pickup-delivery/index.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

What happened to 'lets flatten the curve until more ICU beds become available'?

Offline Applewood

The ONLY way that you can get delivery or curbside is with a credit card.

And even with a card, you often can't get delivery.  I finally got a time slot for this coming Sunday -- almost a week from today.  Been trying every day for about a week.

I did have to go to the store today only because it's the only one in my town that has a functioning ATM and a bank branch that's open. The other banks closed their branches in this town and disabled their ATMs.

When I got there, there was a line outside.  The market only allows a certain number of people inside at one time.  I managed to cut in front only when I told the guard I was only going to the bank. 

Once I got inside, there were one-way aisles.  Could not go up or down an aisle if there were already 2-3 people in the aisle.  There were guards at each end of the aisles making sure people were social distancing. 

Only two or three registers were open -- spaced so to adhere to social distancing.  Plexiglass was installed so contact with the cashier was limited.  And all but one register -- only credit or debit cards.  Only a self-serve checkout was open if you wanted to pay cash. 

Ordinarily, when I shop, I have a list, buy only what is on the list, then I'm in and out as fast as possible.  I don't spend all day.  But with all this krap, I can see if I had to actually grocery shop, it will now take hours. 

Now they want to force us into curbside pickup or delivery -- neither of which is working out so well, at least where I live.  This is a friggin' nightmare and totally unnecessary.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And even with a card, you often can't get delivery.  I finally got a time slot for this coming Sunday -- almost a week from today.  Been trying every day for about a week.

I did have to go to the store today only because it's the only one in my town that has a functioning ATM and a bank branch that's open. The other banks closed their branches in this town and disabled their ATMs.

When I got there, there was a line outside.  The market only allows a certain number of people inside at one time.  I managed to cut in front only when I told the guard I was only going to the bank. 

Once I got inside, there were one-way aisles.  Could not go up or down an aisle if there were already 2-3 people in the aisle.  There were guards at each end of the aisles making sure people were social distancing. 

Only two or three registers were open -- spaced so to adhere to social distancing.  Plexiglass was installed so contact with the cashier was limited.  And all but one register -- only credit or debit cards.  Only a self-serve checkout was open if you wanted to pay cash. 

Ordinarily, when I shop, I have a list, buy only what is on the list, then I'm in and out as fast as possible.  I don't spend all day.  But with all this krap, I can see if I had to actually grocery shop, it will now take hours. 

Now they want to force us into curbside pickup or delivery -- neither of which is working out so well, at least where I live.  This is a friggin' nightmare and totally unnecessary.

Curb side works well for companies that were already doing it, like Walmart.  If a store can afford extra security to police the social distancing within the store, then it can afford to make those guards into shoppers ("pickers" as Walmart calls them).

We've been doing curb side at Wally World for over 6 months now, and it works well, even now that more people are using it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"Experts" is being tossed around loosely. These aren't epidemiologists we're talking about; these are union bosses.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

888high58888    I've experienced the same problems -- first my card was compromised almost immediately after an on-line grocery order attempt.  The "shopper" texted me with more items that she couldn't get than she could get so I cancelled.  I didn't appreciate her snarky comments either ... and then she deleted one item at a time.

I then have tried Walmart -- no slots are available for a week. 

So ... I will try to venture out and hopefully the Mom & Pop store that has excellent meats and fresh market vegs will still be open.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

"Experts" is being tossed around loosely. These aren't epidemiologists we're talking about; these are union bosses.

Well, either union bosses are a much bigger entity, like those wanting to control the populace by controlling the food. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, either union bosses are a much bigger entity, like those wanting to control the populace by controlling the food.

Leftist reply:  "You conservatives are all conspiracy freaks."  Newsflash:  Conspiracy is a real thing, a prosecutable crime when the circumstances like evidence permit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

Curb side works well for companies that were already doing it, like Walmart.  If a store can afford extra security to police the social distancing within the store, then it can afford to make those guards into shoppers ("pickers" as Walmart calls them).

We've been doing curb side at Wally World for over 6 months now, and it works well, even now that more people are using it.

Well, the local chain had been doing pickup and delivery for a couple of years.  In bad weather when I couldn't get out, I would use the delivery service and it was awesome. I just think this store has been overwhelmed.  Most people around these parts like to do their own shopping --  I'm one of them.  But now with the experts telling us to stay home -- particularly us old and/or chronically ill people -- the demand has increased suddenly and the stores were caught off guard.  Same with the outside delivery services contracted to deliver for these stores.  They all had to hurry up, hire more people and train them.    But things happened so fast and they  just weren't ready for the onslaught.

Things might be slowly improving, but if we are going to be forced to stay out of the stores entirely, pickup and delivery had better improve  even more quickly.   Iff any governor decides to close these markets, he or she had better talk to the markets first and give them time to get ready. 

Offline DB

Well...

I suspect those who try to go curbside only will go bankrupt.

Lots of problems with someone else picking out your purchases remotely. Even at Walmart things go wrong. We've tried several curbside pickup purchases and every one of them has had something wrong that required further action on our part to try to straighten out. Usually with significant frustration because you can't talk to anyone about the problem.

Offline Applewood

888high58888    I've experienced the same problems -- first my card was compromised almost immediately after an on-line grocery order attempt.  The "shopper" texted me with more items that she couldn't get than she could get so I cancelled.  I didn't appreciate her snarky comments either ... and then she deleted one item at a time.

I then have tried Walmart -- no slots are available for a week. 

So ... I will try to venture out and hopefully the Mom & Pop store that has excellent meats and fresh market vegs will still be open.

Yes, my local market has the same problem with the supply chain. After all these weeks and presumably restrictions to prevent hoarding, the store still does not have toilet paper, disinfectant wipes or cleaners and a lot of other items.  Forget meat and poultry too.  Ok, I get that some processing plants have had to close because of outbreaks, but aren't there others?  And what's this I hear about some food items being dumped because restaurants are closed?   What about us consumers who buy at the supermarket?  This lack of supply makes me suspicious. 

Anyway, good luck at your local store. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, the local chain had been doing pickup and delivery for a couple of years.  In bad weather when I couldn't get out, I would use the delivery service and it was awesome. I just think this store has been overwhelmed.  Most people around these parts like to do their own shopping --  I'm one of them.  But now with the experts telling us to stay home -- particularly us old and/or chronically ill people -- the demand has increased suddenly and the stores were caught off guard.  Same with the outside delivery services contracted to deliver for these stores.  They all had to hurry up, hire more people and train them.    But things happened so fast and they  just weren't ready for the onslaught.

Things might be slowly improving, but if we are going to be forced to stay out of the stores entirely, pickup and delivery had better improve  even more quickly.   Iff any governor decides to close these markets, he or she had better talk to the markets first and give them time to get ready.

By the time this is over, the major grocery chains will have acquired the necessary infrastructure to make curbside pickup a regular thing.  That means cell phone apps, credit cards tied to accounts, and the physical requirements of reserved parking spaces wit people picking the items to check out. 

As I said, the Walmart Supercenter in my town already had this going for months, and if there's a problem it's because the usage blew up into a huge thing.  Walmart needs to expand their investment.  Their sister stores, like Sam's Club, are behind.  They have curb-side pickup but they don't have the bugs ironed out yet.  Sam's is a PITA until they fix this.  I told the Manager to just get on the horn to Walmart down the street and see what they're doing.  Then do that.

Related:  My Home Depot has also been doing pickups, with special lockers in the front of the stores where you can retrieve your merchandise.  Little Caesars has what they call their "Pizza Portals."  They have hot boxes set up in the lobby where you just have to walk up, enter a code and retrieve your pizza.  They have a drive-up window at my local LC, too.  Order and prepay on the app, show up at the window.

Bottom line:  What they ominously call "Social Distancing" had been supplanting normal commerce for months before the COVID, and will continue in even larger fashion in the future.  There will be stores that have no interior shopping at all, and will only do pickup.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well...

I suspect those who try to go curbside only will go bankrupt.

Lots of problems with someone else picking out your purchases remotely. Even at Walmart things go wrong. We've tried several curbside pickup purchases and every one of them has had something wrong that required further action on our part to try to straighten out. Usually with significant frustration because you can't talk to anyone about the problem.

You must live near my old Wally World.   :laugh:

(No, you don't.  I am sure you are not using the store at Alma School and Warner in Chandler.)
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdinVA

However, some worker experts, union leaders and small grocery owners...

What is a "worker expert"?  None of the others mentioned are experts at anything health related.

Click bait sensationalism...

Offline libertybele

Yes, my local market has the same problem with the supply chain. After all these weeks and presumably restrictions to prevent hoarding, the store still does not have toilet paper, disinfectant wipes or cleaners and a lot of other items.  Forget meat and poultry too.  Ok, I get that some processing plants have had to close because of outbreaks, but aren't there others?  And what's this I hear about some food items being dumped because restaurants are closed?   What about us consumers who buy at the supermarket?  This lack of supply makes me suspicious. 

Anyway, good luck at your local store.

A lot of things about this virus makes me suspicious.  China's non-reporting of this virus.  The remaining DEM candidates other than Slow Joe stepped down, around the same time that the public was made aware of the virus as it was introduced in WA state.  Many businesses were closed other than "essential" (?) and massive amounts of money are being spent in trying to save (?) this country.  So millions have been forced out of their jobs and now dependent on Uncle Sam (if their money ever gets to them) and now our food sources are being manipulated. 

Talk of yet another stimulus is supposedly going to be implemented.  More unsustainable debt. Though Trump stated that we would never be a socialist country, that's surely exactly where we are heading.  8888crybaby

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What is a "worker expert"?  None of the others mentioned are experts at anything health related.

Click bait sensationalism...

"Worker experts" are called "Consulting Firms."  It's a thing.  Efficiency Experts have existed for at least 100 years.  The Father figure in Cheaper by the Dozen was an Efficiency Expert who applied his business knowledge to a family with 12 children, set in the 1920's.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Commies love nothing more than to ban, ration, and restrict, so I imagine they love the idea of closing stores and just doing deliveries so everyone is waiting in line and jumping thru hoops.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Commies love nothing more than to ban, ration, and restrict, so I imagine they love the idea of closing stores and just doing deliveries so everyone is waiting in line and jumping thru hoops.

Most people won't stand for that, as long as companies are permitted to trade with them without such restrictions.  And that is the crux of the matter right there.
I will NOT comply.

Offline cato potatoe

I fully expect our inbred governor to heed this advice.  He keeps adding restrictions every week.  We have experienced 199 deaths, and in response he has put 672,000 people out of work. 

Offline Applewood

@libertybele

Though Trump stated that we would never be a socialist country, that's surely exactly where we are heading

Every time Trump signs off on one of those spending spree bills, he proves once again he's no conservative.  And the Republicans themselves are just as tax and spend as the Democrats. 

For both parties, this outbreak has been about winning elections, particularly the presidential one later this year.  Republicans know -- just as the Democrats always have -- that throwing money around is a sure way of getting votes.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If grocery stores start locking their doors, sumthin' tells me this situation is going to result in some "unintended consequences"...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Tacoma Park (Montgomery County) MD, just outside DC.  One of MDs 'hot zones'.

Put those 'experts' in Tioga, ND....

{It's a compound word. Ex is a has-been, spurt is a drip under pressure}
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If grocery stores start locking their doors, sumthin' tells me this situation is going to result in some "unintended consequences"...

I've heard tell....

I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I've heard tell....

Looks more like Prince George's County.... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Looks more like Prince George's County.... :whistle:

Close.  Londonistan.
I will NOT comply.