Author Topic: Shake Shack returns $10 million small business loan granted as part of CARES Act  (Read 308 times)

Offline libertybele

Wow...a company with some integrity and doing the right thing!

Shake Shack returns $10 million small business loan granted as part of CARES Act

Shake Shack Inc. SHAK, +7.44% will return the $10 million loan the burger chain received as part of the CARES Act relief for small businesses, the company said early Monday. The announcement was made by Chief Executive Randy Garutti and Danny Meyer, chief executive of Union Square Hospitality Group and founder of Shake Shack, in a joint letter posted to LinkedIn. The loan was granted under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) that was part of the $2.2 trillion CARES Act. PPP is meant to provide a lifeline to small businesses, including restaurants, that have seen sales sink or come to a halt amid the response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The program is open to all companies with 500 or fewer employees. "The 'PPP' came with no user manual and it was extremely confusing," the executives said. "Both Shake Shack (a company with 189 restaurants in the U.S., employing nearly 8,000 team members) and Union Square Hospitality Group (with over 2,000 employees) arrived at a similar conclusion. The best chance of keeping our teams working, off the unemployment line and hiring back our furloughed and laid off employees, would be to apply now and hope things would be clarified in time." Garutti and Meyer say Shake Shake has about 45 workers per location and faced $1.5 million in weekly operating losses. All of Union Square Hospitality Group's restaurants closed on March 13 and 2,000 workers were laid off, but were rehired once the company applied for loans. .............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shake-shack-returns-10-million-small-business-loan-granted-as-part-of-cares-act-2020-04-20?mod=home-page

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:30:31 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How can a company with 8,000 "Team Members" even be considered a "Small Business?"

This was the good point @Chosen Daughter was making yesterday, that monies meant for mom & pop companies is being hoovered up by companies with thousands of employees. 

I agree with her.  This is wrong.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
How can a company with 8,000 "Team Members" even be considered a "Small Business?"

This was the good point @Chosen Daughter was making yesterday, that monies meant for mom & pop companies is being hoovered up by companies with thousands of employees. 

I agree with her.  This is wrong.

It sure is.  And it looks like they are preparing for round 2 of wrong.  I think what has been done is a smear on this country.  It shows that even in desperate times a corrupt government has no shame.  No shame in their greedy way. 

Shake shack did the right thing, but it took public shaming to get there.  They should never have even had the door opened to them.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.