Author Topic: US oil prices plunge to $11 per barrel, lowest in two decades, in pandemic-fueled free fall  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Cyber wrote:
"Oh, yes it can go lower!  Current price is negative $8."

What I want to know is...
... how does this work at the local gas pump...?    ;)

Probably not alot unless the next month futures follow.

This is an expiry squeeze. Usually it's to the upside when there's no physical commodity to deliver. Often happens with agricultural products in a heavy drought or flood year.

I've never seen it to the downside. Not like this. Basically the physical buyers are saying you have to pay them to take it, to hedge for storage, transportation, interest, and other costs/risks, while the speculative guys who are long are trying to get out and/or roll over to the June contract.

There's no storage left. No one really wants to take delivery, and the traders are trying to get out of their long positions.

Pretty crazy history being made today.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:51:08 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Closest refinery is in New Mexico.  Does not good if you can't get the oil to a refinery (which is why the prices is so low).

Meridian is working on building a refinery in Winkler County.  But that is far off.

Something really screwy has happened, and it will be THE topic of discussion on the business channels after the market closes today.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

Something really screwy has happened, and it will be THE topic of discussion on the business channels after the market closes today.

For less than it offered for Anadarko, Chevron can now buy Oxy and Anadarko.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
What's going on?

My "oil prices" widget (Dashboard on the Mac OS) shows:
34.88  (perhaps it can't show "negatives")

But if I search for "commodities prices" on the web, it shows:
-35.70  (that's a "minus" sign out front)

Are prices really down to -35 or so right now?

How can this even work...?

Maybe it's time to suspend trading for a while...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:35:51 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Occidental must be kicking themselves now over Anadarko.  Some Oxy execs should be jumping out of top floor windows by now, while Chevron execs emit sighs of relief.
Well, the Oxy Executive who put in this hedge won't be jumping.

He'll likely have a good line of work at another company.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What's going on?

Yes, it's really negative 38 bucks, for a loss of >300%.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:41:20 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

What's going on?

This is a local anomaly.  A producer has put forth the investment to create a setup where a continuous stream of oil comes out of the ground and is handed over to buyers in a competitive market.  When buyer demand increases, the price goes up.  When demand falls, the price goes down.  The producers anticipated that demand would remain near a certain level, and that they could engage in a continuous operation to transfer their oil to buyers.

But now local buyer demand has fallen.  There are no local buyers wanting their oil.  Sure, there are buyers in Deer Park, Port Arthur, Pascagoula, etc. that would love to be paid to take this oil off their hands.  But they are already pushing the limit with contract purchases and have no ability to gather Permian oil at the local level.

So you have these producers with oil continuing to come out of the ground afraid to suspend operations (and the high cost that goes along with that) and who are hoping this is just a temporary glitch.  So instead of simply dumping oil out on the ground (which they used to do over a century ago), they pay people to save them the cost of an environmental catastrophe.

It all comes down to supply and demand, and the ease with which one can enter/leave the market.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Cyber wrote:

Now if you can find a pump that will pay you one fill up, I've got.........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
This is a local anomaly.  A producer has put forth the investment to create a setup where a continuous stream of oil comes out of the ground and is handed over to buyers in a competitive market.  When buyer demand increases, the price goes up.  When demand falls, the price goes down.  The producers anticipated that demand would remain near a certain level, and that they could engage in a continuous operation to transfer their oil to buyers.

But now local buyer demand has fallen.  There are no local buyers wanting their oil.  Sure, there are buyers in Deer Park, Port Arthur, Pascagoula, etc. that would love to be paid to take this oil off their hands.  But they are already pushing the limit with contract purchases and have no ability to gather Permian oil at the local level.

So you have these producers with oil continuing to come out of the ground afraid to suspend operations (and the high cost that goes along with that) and who are hoping this is just a temporary glitch.  So instead of simply dumping oil out on the ground (which they used to do over a century ago), they pay people to save them the cost of an environmental catastrophe.

It all comes down to supply and demand, and the ease with which one can enter/leave the market.

Exactly..... a commodity glitch.  And a real lucrative one to those who stock up, and have the capacity to store.  Some refiners are going to see astronomical margins.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Exactly..... a commodity glitch.  And a real lucrative one to those who stock up, and have the capacity to store.  Some refiners are going to see astronomical margins.

Who has inventory storage capacity in the Just In Time supply chain corporate world of today?
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Who has inventory storage capacity in the Just In Time supply chain corporate world of today?

From what I can read almost no one, or at least aren't admitting to it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

There are still plenty of monthballed tank farms here in Texas ,that could be brought up to standard pretty easily.  As far as supply chain.....   In most of these locations, all you need is a barge, a pump, and a tank.  Then sit on the black gold until prices adjust.  Wow, the potential margins make my mouth water.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
There are still plenty of monthballed tank farms here in Texas ,that could be brought up to standard pretty easily.  As far as supply chain.....   In most of these locations, all you need is a barge, a pump, and a tank.  Then sit on the black gold until prices adjust.  Wow, the potential margins make my mouth water.

Crude looks like one of those contracts that trades to expiry (which is tommorow), so I wonder if there will suddenly be storage capacity that appears and buyers that say 'Oh yes sir, I will let you pay me to take it!'
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:44:57 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
From what I can read almost no one, or at least aren't admitting to it.

Warehouses add less than zero value to a widget.  They are liabilities the green-eyeshade guys are paid to minimize.
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Warehouses add less than zero value to a widget.  They are liabilities the green-eyeshade guys are paid to minimize.

Futures contracts are graduated to compensate for carry or storage cost/risk to ease that problem and basically grease the market.

For those guys who have the means and capacity, contract expirations such as this can be a windfall for simply being able to hold it a month or two and selling it at a much better price, spot or hedged.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

Crude looks like one of those contracts that trades to expiry (which is tommorow), so I wonder if there will suddenly be storage capacity that appears and buyers that say 'oh yes sir, I will let you pay me to take it!'

Again these are futures prices, which tend to get tempered over period time to arrive at their spot price.  I am not an oil commodities expert, but I can gurantee no one is going to be paid to take oil off a producer.  They would stop production before that.

With that said, with today's unpredecented collapse of prices, I wouldn't doubt seeing much of the world's capacity of oil production, idled, or throttled back to minimum rates  until demand gets closer to production supply.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:45:32 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline libertybele

Again these are futures prices, which tend to get tempered over period time to arrive at their spot price.  I am not an oil commodities expert, but I can gurantee no one is going to be paid to take oil off a producer.  They would stop production before that.

With that said, with today's unpredecented collapse of prices, I wouldn't doubt seeing much of the world's capacity of oil production, idled, or throttled back to minimum rates  until demand gets closer to production supply.

It's going to be a long while till demand gets closer to supply. I cannot find any accurate stats as to how many people are out of work globally.  IF our economy doesn't make a recovery soon, we will enter into a depression and the rest of the world will follow.

With continuing to print $$ I believe the collapse of the U.S. economy is imminent. 

There is a book that was printed in 2015 that I purchased entitled " Porter Stansberry America 2020" forwarded by Dr. Ron Paul -- I've started reading it again -- lots of things happening that were predicted and lots of good information.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

They will refuse to produce if the non-zero cost of delivery goes below a point, in addition to a negative price.

That is guaranteed.  It sucks to be in the oilpatch business this day.  Everybody from roustabouts to tanker drivers to Geologists will suffer.  There are several of our fellow BRiefers in that category.
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical

You would think, though I haven't been paying attention to that market for years, so it's hard to say. The physical delivery/storage aspect of the futures game is quirky, twisty, and has lots of angles. I would assume no producer would be sitting on oil they couldn't store or at least stop from producing. I could see some getting burned on fulfillment agreements or quotas if they didn't hedge.

Part of the plunge was speculative traders that were trying to get out to avoid taking delivery according to the business sites, which I don't doubt. Although what dumbass would take that kind of a risk is beyond me, but I also imagine there were hedges and other derivative plays that were unwound as part of today's action.

The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
The other thing is that for every buyer of a contract, there is a seller, so someone will get left holding the bag at contract expiry.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The other thing is that for every buyer of a contract, there is a seller, so someone will get left holding the bag at contract expiry.

Yes, that is the one guarantee.  The seller is not guaranteed a profit, nor is the speculator, nor the reseller of the goods.  IOW, there may be a winner, but for sure there will be losers.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Cyber wrote:

You put the nozzle in and it sucks the tank dry...??
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The US Strategic Petroleum Reserve currently has 77 million barrels of capacity until it is full because Pelosi will not let the US purchase crude now that it is cheap to fill it up.

The easiest place to store crude is there, so all Trump has to do is to rent out part of this ready-to-go storage to whoever wishes to use it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington