Author Topic: New Yorker Snob on MSNBC: Trump's White Male 'Lower-Educated' Base Just Too Dumb  (Read 1404 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Mark Finkelstein | April 19, 2020 3:01 PM EDT

Today's AM Joy show on MSNBC provided a virtual parody of liberal-elite condescension to Trump supporters. Joy Reid kicked things off by finding it "confusing" that Trump's populist base supports him despite supposedly not "getting anything economically out of this plutocracy."

It's a recycling of the old liberal complaint of "What's the Matter with Kansas?": those poor, benighted cultural conservatives allegedly voting against their own interests (against redistributing all the wealth).

Ultraliberal writer Jane Mayer of The New Yorker [infamous for co-authoring a book trashing Justice Clarence Thomas with Jill Abramson while they were reporters at The Wall Street Journal] explained to the befuddled Reid that Trump's "racist and anger-laced" rhetoric "excites the lower-educated part of his base, the white-male base, particularly. And so he's saying things that make his supporters feel good."

In other words, according to Mayer, those racist hayseeds, hicks, and rubes are too dumb to understand, or just don't care, that they're getting ripped off by the ruling class. Mayer sounds like a perfect echo of longtime New Yorker film critic Pauline Kael, who proclaimed in 1972 “I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon."

more
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/mark-finkelstein/2020/04/19/joy-reid-guest-trumps-lower-educated-base-doesnt-realize-its
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
More sanctimonious drivel from people who couldn't handle life outside their bubble.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
By uneducated, he means the artsy fartsy fruity degrees that get McJobs, bureaucrat makework, and teaching positions.

Most people that have real, practical degrees and skills tend to lean Trump.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

By uneducated, he means the artsy fartsy fruity degrees that get McJobs, bureaucrat makework, and teaching positions.

Most people that have real, practical degrees and skills tend to lean Trump.
People with STEM degrees tend to have to deal with reality.

All that theory stuff works just fine--in theory--but doesn't do so well in snowdrifts or frozen ground, not to mention mud.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
More sanctimonious drivel from people who couldn't handle life outside their bubble.

@Smokin Joe

I used to get mad at fools like that. Now I just laugh.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

I just envision them, standing on the side of the road in their everyday nightclothes at 20 below with a flat and no clue how to change it.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I just envision them, standing on the side of the road in their everyday nightclothes at 20 below with a flat and no clue how to change it.

@Smokin Joe

Ok,so you laugh at them,too.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Ok,so you laugh at them,too.
Well, yes, but then I have a deep moral quandry. Do I let them wait on AAA which may take hours, Or do I stop and save their lives?

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, yes, but then I have a deep moral quandry. Do I let them wait on AAA which may take hours, Or do I stop and save their lives?

My quandary is, do I let them freeze, or what f-stop should I use when I take a picture to post on Bookface?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

I hope the MSM keep pumping out this ignorant snob-sludge and the Dem Party incorporates it into their Party Platform.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

I hope the MSM keep pumping out this ignorant snob-sludge and the Dem Party incorporates it into their Party Platform.
I thought it was their party platform. :pondering:

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

@Smokin Joe

Like Elvis Costello put it: "Well I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

If you stop to help them you will be destroying the environment by wasting gas and polluting the atmosphere unnecessarily.

So do the "right thing" by just cruising right past them. They will understand,and approve.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Smokin Joe

If you stop to help them you will be destroying the environment by wasting gas and polluting the atmosphere unnecessarily.

So do the "right thing" by just cruising right past them. They will understand,and approve.

@sneakypete

I feel the same way about making Darwin work for me.  I'm in the "Remove all labels and let Darwin sort them out!" school of thought.  Who am I to throw a monkey wrench into Darwinism?  God?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I feel the same way about making Darwin work for me.  I'm in the "Remove all labels and let Darwin sort them out!" school of thought.  Who am I to throw a monkey wrench into Darwinism?  God?

@Cyber Liberty

There ya go,please EVERYBODY!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

They have an app for that!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@truth_seeker

LOL! The funny thing is they probably do,and it has never occurred to any of them there is such a thing as being out of range of a cell phone tower.

Or a bagel,AFATG.

Offline Smokin Joe

Batteries suck in the cold. Especially when the widget has to ramp up to get two bars...

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

@truth_seeker

LOL! The funny thing is they probably do,and it has never occurred to any of them there is such a thing as being out of range of a cell phone tower.

Or a bagel,AFATG.

My "app" is Automobile Club of America. AAA.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@truth_seeker

Mine,too,but I suspect there are still areas in this country where you will be out of range of any cell phone towers.

Maybe not,though. It has been several years since I made a serious road trip anywhere,and it is just a matter of time before you will have to leave our solar system before you are out of range of calls from the boss's phone.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@truth_seeker

Mine,too,but I suspect there are still areas in this country where you will be out of range of any cell phone towers.

Maybe not,though. It has been several years since I made a serious road trip anywhere,and it is just a matter of time before you will have to leave our solar system before you are out of range of calls from the boss's phone.

AKA, "Blessed Relief!   :smokin:
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

You know you are old these days when you can remember "the good old days",when the boss couldn't call you in on your day off because you could tell him you weren't home and missed his phone calls.

There has now been a whole generation grown up and have children of their own who have never enjoyed having that ability.

Offline Smokin Joe

Can still easily be an hour or more wait here, on the side of the road.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

I am far from being a "techie" butisn't "satellite" based cable-tv and inernet available, for remote rural areas?

Highes I think. Therefore I think some cellular phones services might be satellite, also.

Somebody here can explain the "big picture" of satellites, cellular towers, ground repeaters, etc.

I first got Sirius XM satellite radio in 2004. I still do in cars. And for years I had a handheld XM receiver.

But now it is an app on an celular smartphone, using the "cellular" radio signal, phone, internet etd.

Offline Smokin Joe

I am far from being a "techie" butisn't "satellite" based cable-tv and inernet available, for remote rural areas?

Highes I think. Therefore I think some cellular phones services might be satellite, also.

Somebody here can explain the "big picture" of satellites, cellular towers, ground repeaters, etc.

I first got Sirius XM satellite radio in 2004. I still do in cars. And for years I had a handheld XM receiver.

But now it is an app on an celular smartphone, using the "cellular" radio signal, phone, internet etd.
For satellite based TV and internet you have to have a line of sight view of the satellite. Not available in all locations. Cell signal, bandwidth are similarly not there in many places, and not just in flyover country states, either.

Do NOT expect to get high speed or streaming bandwidth reliably, either.

C S Lewis