Author Topic: ‘Let us work’ protests spread all across the US this weekend; demonstrators labeled as ‘far-right’  (Read 1714 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘Let us work’ protests spread all across the US this weekend; demonstrators labeled as ‘far-right’
April 19, 2020 | Vivek Saxena

As protests against coronavirus-based lockdowns continue spreading across the country (and globe), authorities are growing increasingly despotic and arguably fascist in their enforcement of “stay-at-home” orders, with police in one community arresting a woman for simply planning a protest.

That woman, Kim Pagan of New Jersey, reportedly faces charges for “organizing a prohibited event” that involved protesters gathering in order “to demonstrate against” Gov. Phil Murphy‘s potentially unconstitutional coronavirus restrictions.

“Pagan has to answer to the charge in Muncipal Court. Violations of emergency orders constitute a disorderly persons offense carrying a potential sentence of up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine,” Fox News reported.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/04/19/let-us-work-protests-spread-all-across-the-us-this-weekend-demonstrators-labeled-as-far-right-910354
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
An example of "if it bleeeds, it leads" and if it doesn't bleed, cut it and slash it in order to find conflict, even violence.

There were peaceful demonstrations in the OC, non-partisan, yet the media looks for trouble.

#reopenoc

in two days, over 2200 members.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The funniest part is this:

For the screaming Mimis demanding everyone stay inside forever (really, how well has that worked for nursing homes and prisons?), it's a catch-22:

- If you don't practice social distancing, you're a hazard to society and making the crisis worse.
- If you do, you're proving yourself wrong.

The idea that people can still recognize the threat this virus poses but still think the measures being taken regarding shutting down businesses and bans on arbitrary things are draconian and/or ineffective seems to be lost on these people. (Word salad, I know, but I'm hoping you get my point.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

For the screaming Mimis demanding everyone stay inside forever (really, how well has that worked for nursing homes and prisons?), it's a catch-22:

- If you don't practice social distancing, you're a hazard to society and making the crisis worse.

The idea that people can still recognize the threat this virus poses but still think the measures being taken regarding shutting down businesses and bans on arbitrary things are draconian and/or ineffective seems to be lost on these people. (Word salad, I know, but I'm hoping you get my point.)

I have always believed that small businesses could have continued to work.  Small business with not many workers.  I don't agree with it all, and we shouldn't have had to spend 2 trillion had we been smart and did what made sense.  Running people out of business doesn't.  But stay home and only go out to work, get fresh air, get groceries with social distancing and masks.  That makes sense.

And of course very old people or people with underlying conditions should stay home.  It sure would have reduced the debt.

But after all the effort now we are going to protest and go backwards.  When we could have had leadership to institute common sense all along.  I certainly hope that Civil disobedience doesn't lead to increased cases of COVID leading to prolonged stay home order.  Or get off it and then have to do it all over again.  Because the people protesting here in Washington were not practicing social distancing or wearing masks for the most part.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:25:41 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump says we would have had millions of deaths if we hadn't shut down. 

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

Mixed messages  ****sheep****
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:36:06 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Trump says we would have had millions of deaths if we hadn't shut down. 

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

Mixed messages  ****sheep****

:facepalm2:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Whew,  I thought it was just me.   happy77
He's in a tough spot, looking for the "Goldilocks Zone". (Not too soon, not too late, but just right)

People need to understand, too, that jumping the gun will mean we get to do all this all over again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Apparently this virus is smarter than we are.  We think we can hide from it, but the virus knows better.

"Catch 22" is a good phrase for this.  The more we quarantine, the longer we are going to need to quarantine, because the virus is always going to be out there waiting for us to leave our houses.  This virus is so contagious, that so long as it exists anywhere on the planet, it can cause another pandemic UNTIL THE POPULATION BECOMES IMMUNE.

We aren't going to become immune until we go out and get the virus in large numbers.  I predict that we are going to start hearing the term "herd immunity" quite a bit as government at all levels succumbs to the reality of what the sequestration policy has wrought.

There is going to be a recognition that we are just going to have to bite the bullet and let the virus win over the short term so that humanity can win over the long term.  It is an awful trade off, but we have no choice but to make it.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
During a newscast yesterday, I heard one dipshit call the reprehensible OKC bombing a Right Wing terrorist attack in  commemoration.

Trying to remember ever when the MSM called anything a left wing terrorist attack.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Apparently this virus is smarter than we are.  We think we can hide from it, but the virus knows better.

"Catch 22" is a good phrase for this.  The more we quarantine, the longer we are going to need to quarantine, because the virus is always going to be out there waiting for us to leave our houses.  This virus is so contagious, that so long as it exists anywhere on the planet, it can cause another pandemic UNTIL THE POPULATION BECOMES IMMUNE.

We aren't going to become immune until we go out and get the virus in large numbers.  I predict that we are going to start hearing the term "herd immunity" quite a bit as government at all levels succumbs to the reality of what the sequestration policy has wrought.

There is going to be a recognition that we are just going to have to bite the bullet and let the virus win over the short term so that humanity can win over the long term.  It is an awful trade off, but we have no choice but to make it.

goopo
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

During a newscast yesterday, I heard one dipshit call the reprehensible OKC bombing a Right Wing terrorist attack in  commemoration.

Trying to remember ever when the MSM called anything a left wing terrorist attack.
That was the meme the Media pushed, saying it was retribution for Waco..and all those nasty, right winged gun owner types needed to have their "assault weapons" taken away (even though no firearms were discharged in the bombing of the Murrah Building and the loaded pistol the later convicted bomber had when stopped in a traffic stop for no license plates was never discharged). The whole "right winged" terrorist image has been pimped from time to time when it wasn't obvious the terrorists or other perpetrators were Muslim.
No mention of the Weathermen, though, when Bill Ayers or Bernadette Dohrn were diddy-bopping around the Obamas, because they were Left-wing terrorists.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep. "Herd immunity" will win out in the end, as it has with every novel pathogen. @roamer_1 said so here, numerous times.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

That's pretty much how I see it.

It's far better to eat better, build your immunity, and take antivirals. But if Americans got one achilles heel, it's a near absolute defiance against taking responsibility and taking care of one's health.

I also really love the media meme that somehow being working class and wanting to get paychecks again is 'far-right'. Sounds like Old Sniffy and the rest of the Dems rhetoric to get rid of any jobs that aren't green, and the rest of us on welfare I guess.

Talk about minting millions of new Republicans for the coming election.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:17:17 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

He's in a tough spot, looking for the "Goldilocks Zone". (Not too soon, not too late, but just right)

People need to understand, too, that jumping the gun will mean we get to do all this all over again.

I read a very good local non-partisan article to that effect.

It stated we have avoided the worst, by complying well with "mitigating" measures, and as you state it could be undone, by discarding said measures.

My local police attemded a demonstration, and wrote advice to comply, in order to get this over with the best outcome for all.

I hardly accept the "over-reaction" version, with over 180 countries getting the virus.

The 1918 Sanish Flue epidemic lasted 3 years, not 3 months.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

I am nowhere near this level of pessimism.

Viruses do not live forever. Without a host, they die in short order. Think of the numerous viruses that are practically dead now. Smallpox, polio, and so on. Most people these days carry no vaccinations against them nor any immunity—but they haven't roared back because they no longer exist in the wild. SARS was eradicated after two waves, the second much smaller than the first.

Looking at the stats, the curve right now is largely being crushed. For how long, we don't know, because people are already starting to protest (see: Harrisburg), and that's a natural progression.

But to look at it from the other side, you can look at South Korea, and note the hundreds who have NOT developed immunity from this after getting it twice, and conclude that herd immunity might not even be possible with this virus.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mortarman

These same ones who are insisting that we remain imprisoned without due cause in violation of our 6th Amendment Rights are the same ones who were inticing an' encouraging millions of invasive species (many who are a direct threat to American citizens) to violate our laws all for their oen political gain.

:pop41:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:45:58 pm by mortarman »
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
But to look at it from the other side, you can look at South Korea, and note the hundreds who have NOT developed immunity from this after getting it twice, and conclude that herd immunity might not even be possible with this virus.

I have thought about this too. The evidence that people can get it twice is very weak.  Yes, they test positive, but the symptoms the second time are negligible, and it is a very, very small number in comparison to the numbers of people who have probably been exposed while carrying the antibody, and nothing happened.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Here in Connecticut, we just had our highest one-day increase in infections and deaths yet:
1,853 new infections (19,815 total)
204 new deaths (1,331 total).

There doesn't seem to be "a peak" here, not yet.
"Open up for business", and those numbers will shoot up even higher, I reckon...

Victor wrote above in post 8:
"There is going to be a recognition that we are just going to have to bite the bullet and let the virus win over the short term so that humanity can win over the long term.  It is an awful trade off, but we have no choice but to make it."

I don't contest what you wrote. It's reasoned and logical.
But if we do this, Mr. Trump (and the rest of the Republicans along with him) face a high possibility of losing the election in November.
Folks here had better face up to that.

Offline truth_seeker

I have thought about this too. The evidence that people can get it twice is very weak.  Yes, they test positive, but the symptoms the second time are negligible, and it is a very, very small number in comparison to the numbers of people who have probably been exposed while carrying the antibody, and nothing happened.

Important antibody tsting in Los Angeles County CA and Santa Clara County CA.

Siimilar findings. Should help with further analysis, and LA says they intend to conduct followups, which will yield much more knowledge.

including the degree of immunity.

Taken together, these studies aare among the most extensive, in America.

Discouraging about the amount of spread, encouraging about the percent fatality.

Offline Smokin Joe

Here in Connecticut, we just had our highest one-day increase in infections and deaths yet:
1,853 new infections (19,815 total)
204 new deaths (1,331 total).

There doesn't seem to be "a peak" here, not yet.
"Open up for business", and those numbers will shoot up even higher, I reckon...

Victor wrote above in post 8:
"There is going to be a recognition that we are just going to have to bite the bullet and let the virus win over the short term so that humanity can win over the long term.  It is an awful trade off, but we have no choice but to make it."

I don't contest what you wrote. It's reasoned and logical.
But if we do this, Mr. Trump (and the rest of the Republicans along with him) face a high possibility of losing the election in November.
Folks here had better face up to that.
With the assumption that NO MATTER WHAT happens, the ABCNNBCBS media will inevitably blame Trump for the worst and give credit to 'heroic' Democrats for any good, no election will be a lock. Managing the number of cases so hospital facilities are not overwhelmed will be key, and that means addressing hot spots as they arise, the whole time we gather data about less severe cases, asymptomatic cases, and develop  serious testing capabilities for antibodies.

Waiting on a vaccine, which may or may not provide the hoped for level of protection is not going to be a viable way to retain any economy. Oil won't pull the economy out this time, like it did in the 2000s and 2010s.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The Edgar Allen Poe story The Masque of the Red Death is instructive.  That was a smart fellow, even if he did marry his cousin.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

I am nowhere near this level of pessimism.

Viruses do not live forever. Without a host, they die in short order. Think of the numerous viruses that are practically dead now. Smallpox, polio, and so on. Most people these days carry no vaccinations against them nor any immunity—but they haven't roared back because they no longer exist in the wild. SARS was eradicated after two waves, the second much smaller than the first.

Looking at the stats, the curve right now is largely being crushed. For how long, we don't know, because people are already starting to protest (see: Harrisburg), and that's a natural progression.

I like your glimmer of optimism; that viruses don't live forever, but keep in mind that the flu is a virus and it reappears every season and has done so for decades.

Consider:

Fact check: Herd immunity would not fully stop the spread of coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/18/fact-check-herd-immunity-would-not-fully-stop-spread-coronavirus/5156368002/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:59:11 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Consider:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/18/fact-check-herd-immunity-would-not-fully-stop-spread-coronavirus/5156368002/

Pretty good article.  I agree that herd immunity will not eliminate the virus, but given the highly contagious nature of it, it would come under control a lot sooner if we did not quarantine ourselves.  The only justification for the quarantine is to prevent hospital overcrowding.  That threat only exists in a few places, and now that new treatment protocols have been developed, it appears that hospitalization periods will be dramatically reduced.

Another issue is the governors and their edicts about "essential" and "nonessential" businesses.  There is no reason to close a business that can operate using social distancing.  These governors should have instead closed business based on "safe" or "not safe."  Obviously, restaurants, fitness clubs, beauty salons had to close.  But why close golf courses?  They could easily have adapted with one person per cart and other social distancing practices.  The same with most retail establishments.  There was no reason to shut down shopping malls, department stores, building centers and the like.

The virus is not a crisis of our own making, but the trashed economy is.  A lot of the carnage could have been prevented.

Offline Smokin Joe

I like your glimmer of optimism; that viruses don't live forever, but keep in mind that the flu is a virus and it reappears every season and has done so for decades.

Consider:

With the flu:

Avian influenza (AI) viruses are classified by a combination of two groups of proteins: hemagglutinin or “H” proteins, of which there are 16 (H1 to H16), and neuraminidase or “N” proteins, of which there are nine (N1 to N9).

Many different combinations of “H” and “N” proteins are possible. Each combination is considered a different subtype and can be further broken down into different strains.  AI viruses are further classified by their pathogenicity, low or high, based upon the ability of a particular virus strain to cause disease in chickens.

Highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses in poultry are usually H5 or H7 subtypes of Type A influenza, although low pathogenic forms of these H5 and H7 viruses also exist.
  USGS environmental health website

So, of the 16, you get one, and of the 9 you get another, 144 possible combinations. Some infect humans, some don't. Some will kill you some won't. Multiple combinations may be in circulation at any given time.

Spin the wheel, pays your money takes your choice.

The flu keeps "coming back" because of the different variants possible.
Any given year, the "flu shot" is a guess as to what is to be most likely to be circulating that year, infectious, and lethal.

C S Lewis