Author Topic: Could virus crisis kill debt-laden US Postal Service? (Yahoo)  (Read 335 times)

Offline corbe

Could virus crisis kill debt-laden US Postal Service?

Susan STUMME

AFP•April 16, 2020

Washington (AFP) - For many Americans, checking the mailbox is a daily ritual, a constant in a quickly changing world that can yield anything from wedding invitations to tax audits to new clothes.

But as with many ordinary things as the coronavirus crisis unfolds, the US Postal Service -- already compromised by a mountain of debt -- has a most uncertain future.

"The Postal Service is holding on for dear life," congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, a New York Democrat who chairs the House Oversight Committee, said last week.

"Unless Congress and the White House provide meaningful relief in the next stimulus bill, the Postal Service could cease to exist."

<..snip..>

https://news.yahoo.com/could-virus-crisis-kill-debt-laden-us-postal-013411819.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Could virus crisis kill debt-laden US Postal Service? (Yahoo)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 01:05:56 am »
Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman (1965) HD

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 01:14:03 am »
Not if they mail out the checks to the right address.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 04:00:51 pm »
COFFEE & TESTICLES

A guy went into the Washington, D. C. Post Office last week to apply for a job.

The interviewer asks him, "Are you allergic to anything?"

The guy replies, "Yes, caffeine. I can't drink coffee."

"OK, Have you ever been in the military service?"

"Yes," he says, "I was in Afghanistan for two tours."

The interviewer says, "That will give you five extra points toward employment."

Then he asks, "Are you disabled in any way?"

The guy says, "Yes. A bomb exploded near me and I lost both my testicles."

The interviewer grimaces and then he says, "Disabled in your country's service!

Well, that qualifies for extra bonus points.

Okay. Looking at the regulations you have got enough points for me to hire you right now.

Our normal hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

You can start tomorrow at 10:00 am, and plan to start at 10:00 a.m. every day."

The guy is puzzled and asks, "If the work hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., why don't you want me here until 10:00 am?"

"This is a government job," the interviewer says.

"For the first two hours, we just stand around drinking coffee and scratching our balls.

No point in you coming in for that."

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 04:48:33 pm »
US Postal Service can’t be saved by bailouts unless serious reforms come attached

by Thomas Aiello

April 18, 2020 06:00 AM

Congress and President Trump have responded to the coronavirus crisis with trillions of dollars of relief, and in all likelihood, more will soon be on the way. It should surprise no one that the horribly mismanaged United States Postal Service, or USPS, is trying to secure as much of this taxpayer-financed relief as it possibly can.

In the most recent aid package, the federal government extended a $10 billion line of credit to ensure USPS remains afloat for the short term. Just two weeks later, the postmaster general asked lawmakers for an additional $75 billion in federal aid that included $25 billion in emergency appropriations to offset coronavirus-related losses, $25 billion to bankroll “shovel-ready” projects to modernize the Postal Service, and another $25 billion in unrestricted borrowing from the Treasury Department, according to the Federal News Network.

Providing assistance totaling $85 billion from taxpayers to bail out USPS would only subsidize reckless behavior and kick the can down the road for much-needed postal reform.

It’s no secret that USPS is in severe financial distress and in urgent need of reform. Despite maintaining a government-sponsored monopoly over the delivery of traditional mail, USPS has lost $75 billion since 2007 and has more than $140 billion in unfunded obligations. It desperately needs to implement structural changes, or USPS will continue to rely on multibillion-dollar bailouts from taxpayers to survive.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/us-postal-service-cant-be-saved-by-bailouts-unless-serious-reforms-come-attached

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 05:14:51 pm »
I dunno...It depends on the junk mail volume. I'm still getting that. In fact, the Mrs got one of those extended car warranty offers in the mail today, (I guess they got tired of us not answering when they call).

The youngest vehicle in the fleet is old enough to vote...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:52 pm »
Is not the postal service one of the few enumerated functions the government is supposed to provide, as per the Constitution?

It will survive.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 10:21:46 pm »
Is not the postal service one of the few enumerated functions the government is supposed to provide, as per the Constitution?

It will survive.
Yep. And maintaining the  "post roads".

C S Lewis