Author Topic: Michael Cohen To Leave Prison 18 Months Early Due To Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 385 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Chuck Ross
Investigative Reporter
April 17, 2020 6:59 AM ET

Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen will be released from prison 18 months earlier than scheduled due to concerns over coronavirus, his lawyer told several news outlets.

Cohen, 53, will be allowed to serve the remainder of his three-year prison sentence in home confinement. He is currently serving time at a minimum-security facility near Otisville, New York, on charges of bank fraud, tax evasion, lying to Congress, and making an illegal campaign payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels.

Cohen’s lawyer, Roger Adler, confirmed to CNN and NBC News that the Bureau of Prisons told Cohen on Thursday that he will be released to home confinement on May 1, after serving a 14-day quarantine.

He was slated to stay in jail until November 2021. He was sentenced on Dec. 12, 2018, and began serving his sentence on May 6, 2019.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/17/michael-cohen-prison-release-coronavirus/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Well, at least Cohen isn't likely to commit a violent crime if he's released.  Was just reading about a guy who was released early due to COVID 19.  He was promptly arrested for murder. 

But even though Cohen will reportedly be under house arrest upon his release, I can't help thinking he "got off easy."  And I look for Stone, Manafort, Weinstein and who knows how many others to be released too.  Just doesn't sit right for me.  Commit the crime, do the time.  And if you get sick, tough tookies.

Offline libertybele

IMHO I think it is ridiculous and absurd to let anyone out of prison short of doing their time because of this virus.  Why should they get the privilege of freedom?  They committed the crime, let them do the time.

The virus is either coming in from people visiting or new inmates.  So -- eliminate visitation and that cuts off that source of possible infection.  New inmates - quarantine them for 14 days and then test them.  Those testing positive should be sent to a medical facility able to handle a COVID-19 case.  Once complete -- they get sent back to do their time. 

Only other source of infection would be from people working there -- temperature test them.  Gloves and masks worn at all times.

Problem solved.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

But even though Cohen will reportedly be under house arrest upon his release, I can't help thinking he "got off easy."   

@Applewood

I have mixed feelings about this. Since he was in a minimum security institution and he is no danger to the public,I can't help but think "the taxpayers got off easy",too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IMHO I think it is ridiculous and absurd to let anyone out of prison short of doing their time because of this virus.  Why should they get the privilege of freedom?  They committed the crime, let them do the time.

@libertybele

He/they are "getting off easy"  in the sense that they are home with upscale entertainment,their favorite books,their favorite chairs,the ability to walk from room to room,take private showers,etc,etc,etc,but they are not "free to roam" because they have ankle bracelets that monitor their location,and they are restricted to their homes until they have served their sentences.

He and others like him are not dangerous,so I choose to look at the bright side,which is,"The taxpayers are getting off lightly".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

I have mixed feelings about this. Since he was in a minimum security institution and he is no danger to the public,I can't help but think "the taxpayers got off easy",too.

@sneakypete

My basic problem, as I said earlier, is that if Cohen gets out, every other famous or infamous lowlife in prison will want out too and probably will get their wish.  Of course, these guys have the priciest lawyers who can do the job, while some impoverished convicted car thief with a public defender will remain in prison and take his chances with the virus.

Seems to me all of them -- famous or wealthy or no -- should stay in prison.  @libertybele made some good points about preventing the spread of the virus from the outside.  Put some measures in place to help protect the inmates, but don't let them out. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Well, at least Cohen isn't likely to commit a violent crime if he's released.  Was just reading about a guy who was released early due to COVID 19.  He was promptly arrested for murder. 

But even though Cohen will reportedly be under house arrest upon his release, I can't help thinking he "got off easy."  And I look for Stone, Manafort, Weinstein and who knows how many others to be released too.  Just doesn't sit right for me.  Commit the crime, do the time.  And if you get sick, tough tookies.

Agree.  Exactly what I was thinking. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.