Author Topic: ‘I Wasn’t Thinking Of The Bill Of Rights’: New Jersey Gov Responds To Tucker’s Question About Social  (Read 560 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘I Wasn’t Thinking Of The Bill Of Rights’: New Jersey Gov Responds To Tucker’s Question About Social Distancing Order

Scott Morefield
Reporter
April 15, 2020 9:28 PM ET

Democratic New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy told Fox News host Tucker Carlson that he “wasn’t thinking of the Bill of Rights” when he imposed social distancing orders in his state that included a ban on religious gatherings.

During a wide-ranging interview on Wednesday night’s edition of “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” Carlson asked Murphy about New Jersey synagogue congregants who were “arrested and charged for being in a synagogue together.”

“Now, the Bill of Rights, as you well know, protects Americans’ right, enshrines their right to practice their religion as they see fit and to congregate together, to assemble peacefully,” Carlson said. “By what authority did you nullify the Bill of Rights in issuing this order? How do you have the power to do that?”

more w/video
https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/15/phil-murphy-bill-of-rights-new-jersey-social-distancing-religious-gatherings/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Liberals consider the constitution when making decisions?    :silly:
A great many libs are on record as saying the constitution is too old to be taken seriously, or it's a "living" constitution made to be interpreted by the times.  A "living" constitution is as worthless as the paper it's printed on.

Offline skeeter

Should be carved on every modern politician’s headstone.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I saw this last night.  The idiot Governor was shocked at being asked that question, in that way.  Priceless!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline conservativevoter

More than priceless!  It could be the start of his downfall (hopefully).  Interesting was the mention of a man - single individual, with no others around - who was arrested while sitting on a  park bench; mention of a conversation with the Archbishop in North New Jersey about NOT having drive through services (sacraments?) of any kind because, you know, those priests could pass on the covid-19; and please don't forget those 15 (fifteen!!!) Jews who dared to meet in their synagogue while being settled around at social distancing guidelines to have a worship service.  How dare they!    This all reminds me of the incident that happened at my daughter's church (Baptist, btw)…. very early in Murphy's ruling over his people, 22 were sparsely settled around the small Baptist church they attended when 2 (TWO) policemen knocked at the door threatening their arrest if they did not disband.  Don't worry though, folks!  The liquor stores still remained open through everything because, you know, selling booze IS essential!   :patriot:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
More than priceless!  It could be the start of his downfall (hopefully).  Interesting was the mention of a man - single individual, with no others around - who was arrested while sitting on a  park bench; mention of a conversation with the Archbishop in North New Jersey about NOT having drive through services (sacraments?) of any kind because, you know, those priests could pass on the covid-19; and please don't forget those 15 (fifteen!!!) Jews who dared to meet in their synagogue while being settled around at social distancing guidelines to have a worship service.  How dare they!    This all reminds me of the incident that happened at my daughter's church (Baptist, btw)…. very early in Murphy's ruling over his people, 22 were sparsely settled around the small Baptist church they attended when 2 (TWO) policemen knocked at the door threatening their arrest if they did not disband.  Don't worry though, folks!  The liquor stores still remained open through everything because, you know, selling booze IS essential!   :patriot:

Darn right it's essential.  That reminds me, I have a Keg to pick up tomorrow for the Castle Bar.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

A strong contrarian opinion.
This Plague has killed tens of thousands across the globe w/many more to follow, before it abates.
As a result it has inflicted serious to critical damage within many national economies.
As a consequence, it is now foremost in the Psyche of those w/functioning brains.
Now along trots Carlson waving a copy of the Bill of Rights regarding free religious assembly at
Murphy who responded that he did not consider this in his decision about social distancing.
Is this not a clash between life/death itself and freedom; and if so, which is the more
compelling and immediate matter??? Also which involves the greater/higher good for Man???
Ancient Greece and Rome founded Western Civilization and both were inflicted by plagues.
Does anyone seriously believe that the Greek Assembly and/or the Roman Senate ever
chose freedom of assembly as the greater good in the midst of any one of those plagues???
Someone alert Carlson.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:56:53 pm by Absalom »

Offline goatprairie

"Does anyone seriously believe that the Greek Assembly and/or the Roman Senate chose
freedom of assembly as the greater good in the midst of any one of those plagues?"

That's a good question. But there are a number matters involved here.
One is the plague,  another is a citizen's constitutional rights during  a plague, and a third question is what is the economic impact of a total shutdown.
Let's start with the plague. Shouldn't the seriousness of the particular plague have a bearing on what transpires later as far as what a country does?
The plagues of 500 or so years ago and more often killed off the third of the population of Europe.
That isn't going to happen with this plague. Even if the virus in the worst scenario killed three million people in the U.S., that's still only one percent of Americans.
They're now predicting 60,000. But it looks like it will go past that maybe 100,000. That's still  less than one tenth of one percent of Americans. And most of those people are the elderly and people already beset by serious illnesses.
Should we shut everything down because a fraction of one percent of the citizens will be killed by the virus? I think not.
One other question is the one about civil rights. How much can the state force you to do things even in an emergency? You don't think the state is going over the line when they force people from going outside their homes to gatherings even when those people are keeping safe distances?
And what about the economic impact of a total shutdown?  Obviously, unless enough people are working, everything collapses. People are forced to live on subsistence supplies.
This disease is proving to be not like the plagues of the middle ages.  Even during the Spanish Flu pandemic America did not shut down. And more than half a million Americans are estimated to have died from the flu.
Time to get things going.

Offline Absalom

"Does anyone seriously believe that the Greek Assembly and/or the Roman Senate chose
freedom of assembly as the greater good in the midst of any one of those plagues?"

That's a good question. But there are a number matters involved here.
One is the plague,  another is a citizen's constitutional rights during  a plague, and a third question is what is the economic impact of a total shutdown.
Let's start with the plague. Shouldn't the seriousness of the particular plague have a bearing on what transpires later as far as what a country does?
The plagues of 500 or so years ago and more often killed off the third of the population of Europe.
That isn't going to happen with this plague. Even if the virus in the worst scenario killed three million people in the U.S., that's still only one percent of Americans.
They're now predicting 60,000. But it looks like it will go past that maybe 100,000. That's still  less than one tenth of one percent of Americans. And most of those people are the elderly and people already beset by serious illnesses.
Should we shut everything down because a fraction of one percent of the citizens will be killed by the virus? I think not.
One other question is the one about civil rights. How much can the state force you to do things even in an emergency? You don't think the state is going over the line when they force people from going outside their homes to gatherings even when those people are keeping safe distances?
And what about the economic impact of a total shutdown?  Obviously, unless enough people are working, everything collapses. People are forced to live on subsistence supplies.
This disease is proving to be not like the plagues of the middle ages.  Even during the Spanish Flu pandemic America did not shut down. And more than half a million Americans are estimated to have died from the flu.
Time to get things going.
------------------------
Fair retort.
For me the matter involves the greater good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
------------------------
Fair retort.
For me the matter involves the greater good.

The Road to Hell is paved with "the greater good" and "good intentions."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

The Road to Hell is paved with "the greater good" and "good intentions."
---------------------------
So those in their coffins can roll over and muse;
" Boy that last meeting we had sure was packed w/members."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
---------------------------
So those in their coffins can roll over and muse;
" Boy that last meeting we had sure was packed w/members."

Whatever that meant.  :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

"I, Philip Dunton Murphy, elected governor of the State of New Jersey, do solemnly promise and swear, that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New Jersey, and that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and to the governments established in the United States and in this state under the authority of the people, and that I will diligently, faithfully, impartially, justly, and to the best of my knowledge and ability, execute the said office in conformity with the powers delegated to me, and that I will to the utmost of my skill and ability, promote the peace and prosperity and maintain the lawful rights of the said state, so help me God."

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

New Jersey Constitution

Article 1, Sec 1:  All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.

Article 1, Sec 3:   No person shall be deprived of the inestimable privilege of worshipping Almighty God in a manner agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience

Article 1, Sec 14:   The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless in case of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it. 

Article 1, Sec 18:  The people have the right freely to assemble together, to consult for the common good, to make known their opinions to their representatives, and to petition for redress of grievances.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/lawsconstitution/constitution.asp
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Absalom

New Jersey Constitution
Article 1, Sec 1:  All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.
Article 1, Sec 3:   No person shall be deprived of the inestimable privilege of worshipping Almighty God in a manner agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience
Article 1, Sec 14:   The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless in case of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it. 
Article 1, Sec 18:  The people have the right freely to assemble together, to consult for the common good, to make known their opinions to their representatives, and to petition for redress of grievances.
----------------------------
Obviously for some, freedom transcends life itself.
So if all Mankind were to expire from a plague, the only ones still
around to enjoy this freedom would be the Animals and Plants.
Hmm..............sure makes sense, don't it???