Author Topic: Land O’Lakes makes over packaging, apparently retiring Indian maiden logo  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

Land O’Lakes is quietly changing its look, and the American Indian maiden on the Minnesota company’s butter and dairy packaging for nearly a century is disappearing.

Land O’Lakes President and CEO Beth Ford said in a news release that the Arden Hills-based company is repackaging its products as the company “looks toward our 100th anniversary.” The company plans to add images of their farmer-owners, “whose milk is used to produce Land O’Lakes products,” Ford said.

But the front-of-package design remains the firm’s traditional lake-and-woods theme, absent the Indian maiden. The words “Farmer-Owned” have also been made more prominent in the design.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/04/15/land-olakes-makes-over-packaging-does-away-with-indian-maiden-logo/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline dfwgator

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That's a shame.  My late grandmother was born the year the Land O Lakes Indian Maiden first appeared on their packaging.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Given they are in Minn,I guess they are going to replace the Indian maiden with a creature in a Burka.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Given they are in Minn,I guess they are going to replace the Indian maiden with a creature in a Burka.

Ilhan Omar? 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From the article linked at the OP:

Native people have called the imagery racist, and that it goes “hand-in-hand with with human and sex trafficking of our women and girls … by depicting Native women as sex objects,” according to North Dakota state Rep. Ruth Buffalo, D-Fargo, who is a registered member of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation.

“Yes, it’s a good thing for the company to remove the image. … But we can’t stop there,” Buffalo said. “We as a whole need to keep pushing forward to address the underlying issues that directly impact an entire population that survived genocide.”
With that sort of offended spokesperson for all the members of the Three Affiliated Tribes (of which my oldest great granddaughter is one, only not offended), who mostly aren't in Fargo to be offended there, I can see the company heading off potential victimhood litigation at the pass. But the Lake Country was where the Sioux were chased out of by the Chippewa, not the white man.

Four Bears would be humiliated.

Mrs. Joe (Chippewa) What racism?
Me: Well, now it will look like the rest of the packages out there. So, what's on sale?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

From the article linked at the OP:
With that sort of offended spokesperson for all the members of the Three Affiliated Tribes (of which my oldest great granddaughter is one, only not offended), who mostly aren't in Fargo to be offended there, I can see the company heading off potential victimhood litigation at the pass. But the Lake Country was where the Sioux were chased out of by the Chippewa, not the white man.

Four Bears would be humiliated.

Mrs. Joe (Chippewa) What racism?
Me: Well, now it will look like the rest of the packages out there. So, what's on sale?
We know about those "spokespersons" for Indians who shout racism and being offended at every opportunity.
It's like the controversy over Indian nicknames for sports teams.
Except every poll I've seen on the matter shows a large majority of Indians NOT!!! being upset at sports teams using Indian names for nicknames/mascots.
If we don't allow Indian names for mascots etc., why should we allow Indian names for many American cities, towns, rivers, lakes, states, etc.?
Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Cheyenne, Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, the Mississippi River, etc.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:08:02 pm by goatprairie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ilhan Omar?

@txradioguy

Who can tell? For all we know,it could be Star Jones or Megan McLunatic.

Or even Boy Jorge. He likes kissing Muslim men.

Offline dfwgator

We know about those "spokespersons" for Indians who shout racism and being offended at every opportunity.
It's like the controversy over Indian nicknames for sports teams.
Except every poll I've seen on the matter shows a large majority of Indians NOT!!! being upset at sports teams using Indian names for nicknames/mascots.
If we don't allow Indian names for mascots etc., why should we allow Indian names for many American cities, towns, rivers, lakes, states, etc.?
Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Cheyenne, Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, the Mississippi River, etc.

The only ones who get offended are White Liberals.

Online Smokin Joe

@txradioguy

Who can tell? For all we know,it could be Star Jones or Megan McLunatic.

Or even Boy Jorge. He likes kissing Muslim men.

ICK. :terror: :3:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

Clearly, Land-O-Lakes hates Native Americans since they are embarrassed to have their image on their packaging.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Clearly, Land-O-Lakes hates Native Americans since they are embarrassed to have their image on their packaging.

@Hoodat

Maybe they could represent them better by using an icon with 6 or 8 drunken and/or doped up Reservation Rats riding down the street in a 68  Pontiac with burned out taillights and a dragging muffler?

BTW,before the bitching starts,I am 1/4 Tuscarora.

Online Smokin Joe

@Hoodat

Maybe they could represent them better by using an icon with 6 or 8 drunken and/or doped up Reservation Rats riding down the street in a 68  Pontiac with burned out taillights and a dragging muffler?

Powwow Highway?

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Powwow Highway?

@Smokin Joe

Pretty much. Maybe THE first example in this country of a good intention backfiring.

We,as a nation,didn't learn a damn thing from it,either. The modern-day version of a Reservation is called "The Projects",and the results seem to be the same.

Offline mortarman

What's next? Are they gonna drop the Mrs. Butterworth bottle? Being bald myself, I find Mr. Clean to be rather offensive. Come to think of it, while we're at it, i am also of Danish descent so we can get rid of any Viking logo. I'm also offended by the term jackass so let's eliminate the Dis-Loyal Opposition while we're at it.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Online Hoodat

What's next? Are they gonna drop the Mrs. Butterworth bottle? Being bald myself, I find Mr. Clean to be rather offensive. Come to think of it, while we're at it, i am also of Danish descent so we can get rid of any Viking logo. I'm also offended by the term jackass so let's eliminate the Dis-Loyal Opposition while we're at it.

Funny how no one is pushing for a name change here.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Pretty much. Maybe THE first example in this country of a good intention backfiring.

We,as a nation,didn't learn a damn thing from it,either. The modern-day version of a Reservation is called "The Projects",and the results seem to be the same.
I should have linked the IMDB...https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098112/

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Whatever. I buy the butter that costs the least. How the package is decorated is irrelevant.

As for @sneakypete 's comment:

just yesterday I saw a reference online to helping people at the local Indian reservation (during this time of great national corona crisis, etc., etc.) because they don't have running water. What the heck! The federal government pours gazillions of dollars into the reservations and it didn't occur to anyone to put in water lines?

Decades ago I was a summer intern with the US Department of the Interior and my boss had recently spent several years working with Indian tribes in Oklahoma. He said it was all so pointless. They lived in shacks with no utilities, he said, but they all somehow were driving the biggest, baddest, most jacked-up pickup trucks on the market. What they didn't spend on souped-up vehicles, they spent on liquor, he said. Gubmint money.

Sorry if anyone considers this a broad generalization or stereotype, but I'm just reporting what an eyewitness told me.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Funny how no one is pushing for a name change here.

@Hoodat

I would if my name were Jack.

"Hoo yew talk-kin,bout,willis?"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Whatever. I buy the butter that costs the least. How the package is decorated is irrelevant.

As for @sneakypete 's comment:just yesterday I saw a reference online to helping people at the local Indian reservation (during this time of great national corona crisis, etc., etc.) because they don't have running water. What the heck! The federal government pours gazillions of dollars into the reservations and it didn't occur to anyone to put in water lines?

Decades ago I was a summer intern with the US Department of the Interior and my boss had recently spent several years working with Indian tribes in Oklahoma. He said it was all so pointless. They lived in shacks with no utilities, he said, but they all somehow were driving the biggest, baddest, most jacked-up pickup trucks on the market. What they didn't spend on souped-up vehicles, they spent on liquor, he said. Gubmint money.

Sorry if anyone considers this a broad generalization or stereotype, but I'm just reporting what an eyewitness told me.  :shrug:

@mountaineer

They were waiting for someone from the gubbermint to come fix it for them.

Pets are to be pampered.

After all,does your cat clean it's own litterbox?

Offline goatprairie

@mountaineer

They were waiting for someone from the gubbermint to come fix it for them.

Pets are to be pampered.

After all,does your cat clean it's own litterbox?
There is scene in "Rancho Deluxe" where Sam Waterston, playing an Indian cattle rustler,  is talking to his father. His father remarks on his son, Waterston, having a pickup truck. The old man said things started going downhill for Indians when they started acquiring pickup trucks.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There is scene in "Rancho Deluxe" where Sam Waterston, playing an Indian cattle rustler,  is talking to his father. His father remarks on his son, Waterston, having a pickup truck. The old man said things started going downhill for Indians when they started acquiring pickup trucks.

@goatprairie

Well,it really started going downhill for them when they accepted being "Reservation Indians" as an acceptable way of life.

True,many/most of the originals had no other real  options. It was either go to the reservation or get killed,but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have had enough pride left over to start providing for themselves. "Adapt or die" is a choice EVERY group of peoples have faced. Unfortunately,too many Indians have accepted being pets because it's easier to lay on your drunken/drugged ass and whine about the white man than it is to go out into the world and carve out a path for you and your family.

The federal governments efforts in this process has also got to be pointed out. There were people making a career out of baby-sitting the Reservation Indians,and they didn't want to lose their jobs or their retirement benefits,so they made zero efforts to try to teach their wards how to adapt to the modern world and be successful. Easier to sign them up for welfare,food stamps,and drug and alcohol counseling.

I wonder if any of this sounds familiar to the "peepulls stil libb-n id de hood"?

The government has a vested interest in keeping these people ignorant and helpless via lowered expectations,no successful legitimate role models,and the acceptance of that "racism is at the root of all their problems."

The truth is the welfare state and the piss-poor leadership and outright betrayal of their "rev-rund class" are responsible for most of it. When you expect nothing out of people,that is usually what you get.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:27:31 pm by sneakypete »