Author Topic: Markets sink following record retail drop, Trump's WHO defunding  (Read 688 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Markets sink following record retail drop, Trump's WHO defunding
By Niv Elis - 04/15/20 09:39 AM EDT

Markets plunged Wednesday morning following news that retail sales suffered a record drop in March and President Trump announced plans to defund the World Health Organization.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 500 points, or 2.1 percent, while the S&P 500 was down 62 points, or 2.2 percent.

On Tuesday, Trump said he would withhold funding from the WHO pending a review of the organization as the world deals with the worst pandemic in a century. The move faced significant pushback from a slew of health experts.

The pandemic and efforts to contain it have battered the economy. The Commerce Department on Wednesday reported an 8.7 percent drop in March retail sales, the largest one-month drop since tracking began 28 years ago.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/492888-markets-sink-following-record-retail-drop-trumps-who-defunding
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Markets sink following record retail drop, Trump's WHO defunding
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:52:01 pm »
Why tie the market drop to defunding WHO? Thats just ludicrous.

Online Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:05:05 pm »
Just "The Hill" having a "snit fit" over the (temp.?) de-funding of the ineffective "WHO"...if anything Wall Street should like the $400 million in savings on the debt/deficit...but compared to $27 trillion then "pocket change".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:24:06 pm »
Right.  Defunding WHO had to be good for at least 100 of the 475 or so lost on the DJIA.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 10:18:26 pm »
Bigger news was that oil dropped down below $20bbl for a good while (it's back up over $20 right now)...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 12:03:38 am »
Why tie the market drop to defunding WHO? Thats just ludicrous.
I didn't get that, either. Was the WHO buying that much stuff in retail stores in the US?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 12:05:59 am »
Bigger news was that oil dropped down below $20bbl for a good while (it's back up over $20 right now)...
Yeah, that's a big chunk. Until things get going again, the surplus will not be consumed as if we had normal commerce and travel, so I'm not expecting the price to recover much until a few months after the restrictions are lifted.

I'm on the bank for now, at least a couple of months.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 05:39:08 pm »
Oil @ 18.22bbl  (1.37pm).

Could it drop down into the 17's ??

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 05:46:08 pm »
Oil @ 18.22bbl  (1.37pm).

Could it drop down into the 17's ??

I reckon we're going to find out. :shrug:

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:32:53 pm »
Yesterday:
Dow jumps 700 points on hope for a coronavirus treatment, closes at highest level since March
Published Thu, Apr 16 20205:13 PM EDT
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/sp-500-etf-jumps-2percent-after-hours-on-report-gilead-drug-showing-effectiveness-treating-coronavirus.html

Today:
Stock market news live updates: Dow rally on coronavirus treatment optimism, reopening talk
[Yahoo Finance]
Emily McCormickandJavier E. David
•April 17, 2020
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stock-market-news-live-april-17-2020-221218382.html

...  Stocks rose Friday afternoon, with a late-afternoon rally sending the Dow up more than 700 points by market close.

Here’s where the markets settled at the end of regular equity trading Friday:

S&P 500 (^GSPC): +75.01 points (+2.68%) to 2,874.56

Dow (^DJI): +704.81 points (+2.99%) to 24,242.49

Nasdaq (^IXIC): +117.78 points (+1.38%) to 8,650.14

Gold (GC=F): -$37.20 (-2.15%) to $1,694.50 per ounce

10-year Treasury (^TNX): +3.9 bps to yield 0.65%

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org