Author Topic: New document reveals significant fall from grace for Boeing’s space program  (Read 459 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
ARS Technica by Eric Berger - 4/10/2020

"I have decided to eliminate Boeing from further award consideration."

Much has been made of Boeing's difficulties in aviation, most notably with the 737 Max. This airplane has been grounded for a year after two crashes that killed 346 people between them, collectively making for the worst air disaster since September 11, 2001.

Then there are the issues with the company's KC-46 Pegasus tanker program, which is $3 billion over budget, three years behind schedule, and beset by technical issues. Most recently, in March, the Air Force revealed that it had upgraded chronic leaks in the aircraft's fuel system to a Category I deficiency. This is a problem for an aircraft that is supposed to perform aerial refueling.

Since December, the company's space issues have also become more widely known following the failure of the company's Starliner capsule to successfully carry out a test flight to the International Space Station. NASA labelled this aborted mission, during which the spacecraft was nearly lost two times, a "high visibility close call." The company has agreed to perform a second test flight without crew to assure NASA of Starliner's safety.

More: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/a-nasa-analysis-of-boeings-lunar-cargo-delivery-plan-is-very-unflattering/

Offline Joe Wooten

They deserve to get slammed. Boeing needs to go back to their roots as an engineer run company. Bring back EVERYTHING they offshored and get rid of ALL the money boys in the executive department. Move the HQ back to Redmond and close the Chicago office. Then the company MIGHT have a chance to survive.

If it goes bankrupt, make damn sure no furriners, especially the Chinese, buy any piece of the company.

Offline dfwgator

If it's Boeing, I ain't going.