Author Topic: The Economy Won’t Recover Until Americans’ Coronavirus Fears Fade  (Read 409 times)

Offline mountaineer

The Economy Won’t Recover Until Americans’ Coronavirus Fears Fade
If the American public stays home en masse even after public officials lift stay-at-home orders, the ‘re-opened’ economy will look nearly as morose as the current one.
By Christopher Jacobs
April 14, 2020

If we reopen it, will they come? That paraphrase of the signature line from “Field of Dreams” illustrates a dilemma facing the Trump administration, along with state and local leaders, as they contemplate when and how to reopen elements of the economy shut down by the coronavirus pandemic.

Just because the Trump administration gives word that individuals and businesses can reopen doesn’t mean that most, or even any, of them will do so.  ...

The administration needs to approach the American people where they are—anxious about the virus’ spread—and offer clear explanations not just for what they are doing, but why:

*Why reopen a given area, sector, or activity now? Why not two weeks ago, or two weeks (or two months) from now?
    *What will the federal government do (and what can it do) regarding interstate travel? What happens to the businessman who needs to fly for work—will a governor in another state attempt to stop him or her from traveling?
    *The administration’s initial proposal to classify areas as high, medium, or low risk makes a great deal of sense. But what metrics will go into those classifications—number of cases, growth in cases, number of deaths, health-care capacity, or something else? Will the criteria remain transparent and objective, and not subject to political manipulation or pressure?
    *What metrics will determine any potential need to reactivate shutdown orders?

This advice applies not just to President Trump, but to governors and other policy makers as well.  ... Rest of article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is a pretty good article, as it reaffirms the notion that the people are really the ones in charge, not self-important government "officials."  There is another side of the coin:  If folks think the government is overreaching, they'll simply refuse to comply with the unreasonable demands.

It's in the American Nature.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've been keeping my own spreadsheet in which I tally up each day's increase of infections in my county in SW Connecticut.

It's still jumping around and unpredictable.

So... regardless of when "restrictions" here are lifted... I'm going to keep on wearing gloves and a mask UNTIL I see the number of new daily infections drop down into the single digits.

Or until I can get a vaccination against COVID -- or perhaps a shot of "antibodies"...