Author Topic: 7 in 10 say shopping for groceries is a risk: poll  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: 7 in 10 say shopping for groceries is a risk: poll
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 03:21:59 pm »
Where I live, the main supermarket chain's "senior hour" is between 6-7 am.  It also includes anyone with certain health conditions regardless of age -- people with COPD for example -- who are particularly at risk.    However, from what I've heard it's not strictly enforced.  No one asks for a photo ID or a note from the doctor to prove a shopper is a senior or at risk.  There is also a limit as to how many people can be in the store at one time; so regardless of age and health, a shopper just can't walk into the store.   If the number of shoppers inside is at the limit, people have to wait in line till people exit; then more shoppers can be admitted into the store.

Ordinarily, when I shop, I know what I want and most of the time I only buy what's on the list.  I don't dawdle -- in and out as fast as possible.  However,  most people take their time, chat with people they know and so forth.  I can see  grocery shopping  which used to take me no more than ten or 15 minutes, now taking hours to complete.
I'm sort of torn on the limits thing.
Not that there are limits, but that they are sometimes too low.
For instance, one gallon of distilled water won't keep my household in coffee, so I have to go to multiple stores to get enough water, or I have to bring a bunch of grandkids along and hand each of them a couple of bucks to go through the line with a gallon separate from me. Otherwise, I'd be making two store trips a day instead of one every two or three days.

In terms of people exposure hours, though, that means instead of one person exposed one time to get, say, five or six gallons of water, now six people/exposure events are mandated for the same outcome. To me, that increases the odds of an infection.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 03:48:56 pm »
Quite agree. Once in the past several weeks have I seen TP on the shelves at Kroger. I didn't buy it at that time, because we're probably set for at least a couple of months. But this really is ridiculous. People can be such idiots!  9999hair out0000
I don't know about grocery stores but I went to Costco yesterday morning and they had pallets of TP and paer towels in the aisles and in the back section of the store where they normally stock paper goods there was the normal mountain of TP and paper towels. And for those talking about Ibuprofen the shelves at Costco were fully stocked with both name brand and Kirkland :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 04:00:38 pm »
I don't know about grocery stores but I went to Costco yesterday morning and they had pallets of TP and paer towels in the aisles and in the back section of the store where they normally stock paper goods there was the normal mountain of TP and paper towels. And for those talking about Ibuprofen the shelves at Costco were fully stocked with both name brand and Kirkland :shrug:
Nearest Costco is 300 miles away, well into the next state.  :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 04:00:46 pm »
For instance, one gallon of distilled water won't keep my household in coffee, so I have to go to multiple stores to get enough water, or I have to bring a bunch of grandkids along and hand each of them a couple of bucks to go through the line with a gallon separate from me.

My wife has a cousin whose husband works at a nu-cular plant.  They get all the distilled water they use from the plant.  Seriously.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 04:10:26 pm »
My wife has a cousin whose husband works at a nu-cular plant.  They get all the distilled water they use from the plant.  Seriously.
No nuke plants within 700 miles of here.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 07:37:40 pm »
Well, if you live in western PA and were looking for toilet paper or paper towels:

Tractor trailer carrying paper towels bursts into flames along I-70 in Washington County

https://www.wtae.com/article/tractor-trailer-carrying-paper-towels-bursts-into-flames-along-i-70-in-washington-county/32154981

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2020, 07:40:20 pm »
Well, if you live in western PA and were looking for toilet paper or paper towels:

Tractor trailer carrying paper towels bursts into flames along I-70 in Washington County

https://www.wtae.com/article/tractor-trailer-carrying-paper-towels-bursts-into-flames-along-i-70-in-washington-county/32154981

Speaking of western PA......... youns guys need to stop coming across the state line to get our liquor!   wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 07:48:26 pm »
Speaking of western PA......... youns guys need to stop coming across the state line to get our liquor!   wink777

Okay, time to get the conspriacy tin foil hats on....     :cool:

From a couple of weeks ago....

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Truck-hauling-toilet-paper-catches-fire-on-Texas-15171462.php
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 07:53:57 pm »

LOL  I know -- it's been a problem, right? Aren't your stores checking IDs or something? 

Actually, people here have been crossing the border for liquor for years since in other states it's a heckuva lot cheaper.  Stupid PA still has a state-controlled liquor store system.   Just recently, the state started allowing certain supermarkets to sell beer and wine.  Since supermarkets are open, beer and wine drinkers are ok if they live near a market that sells them.  But connoisseurs of the hard stuff are out of luck. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2020, 07:55:16 pm »
Okay, time to get the conspriacy tin foil hats on....     :cool:

From a couple of weeks ago....

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Truck-hauling-toilet-paper-catches-fire-on-Texas-15171462.php

Hmmm.  Does sound suspicious, doesn't it?  LOL

Online mountaineer

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2020, 08:02:06 pm »
I just heard from someone in Weirton, WV, that Pennsylvanians are swarming over the state line and sitting in the parking lot at Shop N Save, begging random West Virginians going into the store to buy them some liquor. Yikes.

The WV governor has restricted liquor sales to people with WV ID, and then only three bottles at a time. I joked to some Pittsburghers that I'd gladly buy for them my allotted three bottles (since I don't drink the stuff), but seriously - that's some real dependency there, begging strangers in a parking lot!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2020, 08:06:51 pm »
LOL  I know -- it's been a problem, right? Aren't your stores checking IDs or something? 

Actually, people here have been crossing the border for liquor for years since in other states it's a heckuva lot cheaper.  Stupid PA still has a state-controlled liquor store system.   Just recently, the state started allowing certain supermarkets to sell beer and wine.  Since supermarkets are open, beer and wine drinkers are ok if they live near a market that sells them.  But connoisseurs of the hard stuff are out of luck.

Yep.  They're checking ID's to keep the Western PA folks from buying our liquor.  It's especially bad with those Amish folks in New Wilmington.  :laugh:

That's the problem in conservative run states right next to liberal ones.  Our taxes are lower, so our prices are lower, and the proximity to lower priced spirits is just too much to resist!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2020, 08:08:39 pm »

Spilled Water? I've never cleaned in there before.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2020, 08:16:14 pm »
Yep.  They're checking ID's to keep the Western PA folks from buying our liquor.  It's especially bad with those Amish folks in New Wilmington.  :laugh:

That's the problem in conservative run states right next to liberal ones.  Our taxes are lower, so our prices are lower, and the proximity to lower priced spirits is just too much to resist!

Where I live, I'm close to both Ohio and West Virginia.  It just makes sense to go where alcohol is cheaper.   

Online mountaineer

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2020, 08:20:04 pm »
Where I live, I'm close to both Ohio and West Virginia.  It just makes sense to go where alcohol is cheaper.   
And I'm close to W.Pa. and Ohio, right between the two. Comparison shopping certainly does make sense.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2020, 08:21:47 pm »

It certainly does!

(Or, you could consider moving!  wink777)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2020, 08:23:33 pm »
8888crybaby I'm too far from the border to make the tax savings exceed the gas cost...unless it gets to $0.15 a gallon

Offline Applewood

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 08:27:58 pm »
It certainly does!

(Or, you could consider moving!  wink777)

If I was a few years younger, I would.   happy77

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:07 pm »
8888crybaby I'm too far from the border to make the tax savings exceed the gas cost...unless it gets to $0.15 a gallon

It seems to be on its way.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:16 pm »
I just heard from someone in Weirton, WV, that Pennsylvanians are swarming over the state line and sitting in the parking lot at Shop N Save, begging random West Virginians going into the store to buy them some liquor. Yikes.

The WV governor has restricted liquor sales to people with WV ID, and then only three bottles at a time. I joked to some Pittsburghers that I'd gladly buy for them my allotted three bottles (since I don't drink the stuff), but seriously - that's some real dependency there, begging strangers in a parking lot!
I dunno. Until beer and wine were sold to 18 year-olds in my youth (and we could 'pass') it wasn't that rare an event.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2020, 09:10:39 pm »
When I was a youth, the legal age for purchasing liquor in WV was 18 while it was 21 in VA.  But the two-hour drive across the Valley and over the Appalachians made it impractical, especially with moonshine less than 20 min away with no age restriction.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2020, 10:49:25 pm »
It's not only gas. It's oil and wear and tear on the car. Driving twenty miles or so out of your way just get some item that's cheaper than closer to home is usually fruitless. It better be A LOT!!! cheaper to rationalize driving a good distance to get the item or items.
Way back when I remember reading where it cost a person fifty cents a mile to drive their car all factors included. Of course, the newer/better the car the costlier driving it. The cost has probably gone up since then, early nineties.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2020, 12:12:48 am »
It's not only gas. It's oil and wear and tear on the car. Driving twenty miles or so out of your way just get some item that's cheaper than closer to home is usually fruitless. It better be A LOT!!! cheaper to rationalize driving a good distance to get the item or items.
Way back when I remember reading where it cost a person fifty cents a mile to drive their car all factors included. Of course, the newer/better the car the costlier driving it. The cost has probably gone up since then, early nineties.

Good points.  Any know the recipe for Jenkum?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2020, 12:25:21 am »
Good points.  Any know the recipe for Jenkum?
I really doubt you will run your vehicle far on that. Probably ruin your intake and valves...

C S Lewis