Author Topic: Trump claims he, not governors, has power over states on deciding reopening country  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
ABC News by Elizabeth Thomas and Jordyn Phelps 4/13/2020

Trump claims he, not governors, has power over states on deciding reopening country

President Trump says both "facts" and "instinct" will influence his decision.

Now that his once-hoped-for goal of reopening the country by Easter has come and gone, President Donald Trump has set his sights on May 1 as a target date as he moves to launch an economic-focused council to tackle what a reopening amid the coronavirus pandemic would look like.

At the same time, on Monday he claimed he has power over the nation’s governors in setting the terms of any reopening in individual states.

But as governors maintain they will have the final say over their states, Trump, who has pledged to strongly weigh the advice of his health experts against economic concerns, is now asserting the decision is up to him.

“For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government. Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect. It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons. With that being said, the Administration and I are working closely with the Governors, and this will continue. A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!” Trump tweeted Monday morning.

More: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-claims-governors-power-states-deciding-reopening-country/story?id=70119115

Offline Applewood

Uh....no.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
So it's not just the Liberal Dem Governor's and Mayor's that need a refresher course on the 9th and 10th Amendments...it's the POTUS as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

Well sorta... If he lifts the emergency, the govs get no more money...

Online NavyCanDo

He was on a roll until that reply. I did not like the "I'm the one with complete power over the States" answer at all, making me very uncomfortable.  And this after I was just battling a Leftist on Facebook,  me saying Trump doesn't close States or open States, but workes with them as they make the decision internally and respects the decision that Governor makes. The 7 States that did not go in lockdown as evidence.   Trump just destroyed my argument. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online NavyCanDo

He handled the question on the Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer's draconian stay at home order banning the sale of non essential items including vegetable seeds and American Flags poorly as well.  Saying he likes Michigan and they are doing a fine job, and "we'll see how it goes".     Seemed totally uninformed on what has been all over Facebook.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline oldno7

I believe what he is saying about power to control the States is strictly from the Emergency proclamation--ONLY.

I think he intentionally leaves that part off(ONLY) to twist the media and Democrat panties in a tighter bunch.

And of course it works.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 201 and 301 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) and consistent with section 1135 of the Social Security Act (SSA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5), do hereby find and proclaim that the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States constitutes a national emergency, beginning March 1, 2020.  Pursuant to this declaration, I direct as follows:

Section 1.  Emergency Authority.  The Secretary of HHS may exercise the authority under section 1135 of the SSA to temporarily waive or modify certain requirements of the Medicare, Medicaid, and State Children’s Health Insurance programs and of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule throughout the duration of the public health emergency declared in response to the COVID‑19 outbreak.

Sec. 2.  Certification and Notice.  In exercising this authority, the Secretary of HHS shall provide certification and advance written notice to the Congress as required by section 1135(d) of the SSA (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5(d)).

Sec. 3.  General Provisions.  (a)  Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i)   the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii)  the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b)  This proclamation shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c)  This proclamation is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirteenth day of March, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-fourth.

DONALD J. TRUMP

Online Hoodat

Yep.  Trump can't force Democrat governors to reopen their States.  But he can definitely cut off the money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Absalom

Leaving Trump's ignorance aside a moment, what resonates here is his arrogance.

Offline skeeter

Yep.  Trump can't force Democrat governors to reopen their States.  But he can definitely cut off the money.
He acknowledged that he can’t force the states to reopen in the briefer. He said they will want to.

I guess the media needed a shiny object after the thrashing they got.

Offline skeeter

Trump may be referring to some reading his lawyers are giving him on emergency powers.

Offline Absalom

Trump may be referring to some reading his lawyers are giving him on emergency powers.
------------------------------------------
Reading???.............. READING!!!
Is that comment supposed to be some sorta joke???
Anyone who has watched but 2 minutes of Trump on
tee-vee knows he can't read!!!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Seems he isn't the only one. :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:30:35 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Right_in_Virginia

I believe what he is saying about power to control the States is strictly from the Emergency proclamation--ONLY.

Maybe Pence's answer can help illuminate this (for others) @oldno7  ... Pence's answer begins around 1:17:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNaCSwezJHo

Offline dancer

You forgot the /s tag.  Since he is in the 99.995490555% genius level, I'm sure he can read quite well.

Offline Applewood

Well, according to some news outlets in Pennsylvania, the feds have not exactly been generous with equipment and supplies to fight the virus, so maybe the Trump administration is already putting the financial squeeze on the states:

Pennsylvania has received less than half of the coronavirus supplies it requested from the federal government, according to Federal Emergency Management documents released by House Democrats.

The list of requested supplies includes personal protective equipment such as gloves, surgical masks, surgical gowns and face shields. It also includes testing supplies.

https://whyy.org/articles/coronavirus-update-philly-city-council-approves-85m-in-emergency-funding/

Don't know how that compares with other states, but it has been alleged that PA and maybe some other states were shut out because they are governed by Democrats. 

I can see where, if Trump tries to make this a federal decision only and tries to overrule the states' individual shutdown orders, he could have a legal battle on his hands.  Just seems to me that had Trump not taken a hard lined approach toward the states from the beginning, but instead worked with them, maybe the reopening of the economy would go a lot smoother. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Someone needs to train Trump.  Prepare his statements and have him on Teleprompter.  Any devation from script needs a low voltage shock, much like Pavlov's Dog. 

He really needs to stop giving the media ammo to destroy him.  His added bickering with the media slimes, only plays into their hand.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

Maybe Pence's answer can help illuminate this (for others) @oldno7  ... Pence's answer begins around 1:17:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNaCSwezJHo

And today the headlines read 'governors on east and west coasts are uniting to reopen economies'.

Offline Absalom

You forgot the /s tag.  Since he is in the 99.995490555% genius level, I'm sure he can read quite well.
---------------------------------
I stand corrected having forgotten his "stable genius" label.
Upon reflection, his name brings to mind Pericles who raised
Athens to the pinnacle of the ancient world, prior to Rome.
He also had hobbies such as creating the Acropolis Citadel which
included the Parthenon of Athena, unsurpassed to this moment.
Yep, Trump sure is blessed by the company he keeps.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:14:50 pm by Absalom »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I stand corrected having forgotten his "staple genius" label.
Yep, Trump sure is surrounded by good company.
Pericles? That's all Greek to me! :shrug: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

Leaving Trump's ignorance aside a moment, what resonates here is his arrogance.

That doesn't come close to the arrogance of the press.  It is clear from the President's statements (i.e. the ones that were omitted from this story) that Trump acknowledged the State's right to remain closed.

More fake news.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

I stand corrected having forgotten his "staple genius" label.
Yep, Trump sure is surrounded by good company.

You've got the wrong genius.

Offline Absalom

That doesn't come close to the arrogance of the press.  It is clear from the President's statements (i.e. the ones that were omitted from this story) that Trump acknowledged the State's right to remain closed.
More fake news.
-----------------------------
Agree that the media is his mortal enemy which is why leaders MUST "know their enemy."
Trump emphatically does not, which is why yip-yap is his core tool of leading.
The media has absolutely no fear of him which is why they bait him virtually every minute
of the day and what is his response? Why to engage them in a mutual urinary contest!!!
An old Roman asserted " it is far better the Prince be feared rather than loved."
Were Trump feared, the media would never even think of abusing him.
At his core Trump is an entertainer and narcissist who sadly never heard of either
Sun-tzu or Niccolo Machiavelli and we are the worse for it in the eyes of the  world.

Offline musiclady

-----------------------------
Agree that the media is his mortal enemy which is why leaders MUST "know their enemy."
Trump emphatically does not, which is why yip-yap is his core tool of leading.
The media has absolutely no fear of him which is why they bait him virtually every minute
of the day and what is his response? Why to engage them in a mutual urinary contest!!!
An old Roman asserted " it is far better the Prince be feared rather than loved."
Were Trump feared, the media would never even think of abusing him.
At his core Trump is an entertainer and narcissist who sadly never heard of either
Sun-tzu or Niccolo Machiavelli and we are the worse for it in the eyes of the  world.

“Oderint dum metuant.” - Lucius Accius, later the motto of Caligula....

(And many centuries later, of my son’s Unit in Iraq.  happy77)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:55:32 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.