Author Topic: 'Honey, I Shrunk the NASA Payload' challenge seeks tiny designs for the moon  (Read 471 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Space.com By Chelsea Gohd 4/12/2020

"Smaller payloads are game-changing."

NASA has launched a "Honey, I Shrunk the NASA Payload" contest to send tiny experiments to the moon.

Do you love adorable, tiny things? Have you ever dreamed of having something you designed land on the moon? If you answered yes to both these questions, you should probably enter NASA's new competition: "Honey, I Shrunk the NASA Payload."

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) has issued a public challenge for people to design instruments that could support a long-term human presence on the moon. The contest's name references the hit movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids," which debuted in 1989.

"Smaller payloads are game-changing," Sabah Bux, a JPL technologist, said in a NASA statement. "They will allow us to develop technologies to do more prospecting and science on smaller, more mobile platforms."

Those who enter the competition have the chance to win a portion of $160,000 which will be spread among prizes in various categories, according to the statement. JPL has teamed up with the NASA Tournament Lab to launch the contest on the heroX crowdsourcing site.

More: https://www.space.com/nasa-moon-shrunk-payload-contest.html