Author Topic: COVID-19, gun sales and guns in homes  (Read 653 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
COVID-19, gun sales and guns in homes
« on: April 12, 2020, 01:32:42 am »
In March an astounding 3,740,688 background checks took place, according to the FBI.

While this does not correlate exactly with gun sales, it is close and tells us that more guns were sold than any time since the background check system began in 1998.

This purchasing of firearms is not surprising now that the COVID-19 virus is causing unpredictable health and financial disruption. People are afraid a desperate person will break into their home. President Trump has called COVID-19 “the Chinese virus” as if we were being attacked by foreigners.

Even before this, for decades, the gun industry marketed guns as the best defense against home invasions. But there is scientific research on the use of guns for self-defense and on the risks of having guns in homes.

Dr. David Hemenway, a professor at Harvard’s school of Public Health, summarized the research studies on the risks vs. the benefits of owning firearms and found, “there is no credible evidence of a deterrent effect of firearms.” Defensive gun use is rare, and “it does not appear that self-defense gun use is more effective at preventing injury than many other methods of resistance,” Hemenway found.

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/492353-coronavirus-gun-sales-and-guns-in-homes
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: COVID-19, gun sales and guns in homes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 02:31:08 am »
The always trusty FBI.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 02:46:48 am »
The always trusty FBI.

@truth_seeker

If we've learned anything over the last three years...it's that the FBI can't be trusted in its current state.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:52:12 am »
Defensive gun use is rare, and “it does not appear that self-defense gun use is more effective at preventing injury than many other methods of resistance,”

Well that sounds like a product of the north end of a southbound horse to me.

First, the professor is summarizing other research, without testing that research or data for bias or error.

Second, if my defensive use of a firearm is successful and I do not have to discharge my weapon (preferred because of the lack of paperwork involved), there may be no official record of the event.

Third, if I have to discharge my firearm, then someone is going to be injured, at the very least. With a noted tendency for researchers to include perpetrators as "victims" of "gun violence", I wonder that the numbers are skewed.

Fourth, What "other means of defense" is the writer talking about? Not  all of us are masters of some other martial art, nor does everyone stand an even chance against one or more younger, stronger perpetrators. Sam Colt's equalizer evens those odds whether you are an NFL Linebacker, Black Belt, or a little old lady. Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away, if the perpetrators even let you dial 911. (The time needed to bludgeon someone to death is well under 1 minute, and 672 people were murdered with fists and feet in 2018, alone --more than twice the number who were killed with those mean looking "assault weapons" (rifles)).

I'll keep my guns, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:53:32 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 03:43:52 am »
Well that sounds like a product of the north end of a southbound horse to me.

Yep