Author Topic: Quarantine bakers are making flour a hot commodity  (Read 787 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Quarantine bakers are making flour a hot commodity
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:48:52 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/quarantine-bakers-are-making-flour-a-hot-commodity/ar-BB12qmn9

by Lydia Mulvany and Michael Hirtzer, Bloomberg
April 10, 2020

The art of baking at home, while not exactly lost, has been on a decline as Americans slowly shifted from eating in to dining out. But with over 90% of the U.S. under some form of stay-at-home order due to the ongoing pandemic, it appears that an increasing number are dusting off old recipes for breads, pastries, cookies and cakes. Sales of baking yeast were up 457% over last year for the week ending March 28, according to Nielsen data. Flour was up 155%, baking powder up 178%, butter up 73% and eggs up 48%.

Home baking began dropping off in the 1960s, and today, with many households having two working parents, there's less time for even basic meal preparation, never mind baking. Food away-from-home accounted for 54.4% of total food expenditures in 2018, compared to 26% in 1953, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data. Still, a rising U.S. population contributed to consumption gains for wheat-based flour in recent years even as per-capita use dropped from 146 pounds in 2000 to 132 pounds in 2018, DOA data show.
Now, stuck at home and trained to perform for social media, Americans are posting pictures of their edible triumphs under hashtags like #isolationbaking and #lockdownbaking.

(excerpts)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Re: Quarantine bakers are making flour a hot commodity
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:56:31 pm »
Early in the "stay at home" period, I couldn't believe how the baking supplies had been decimated at my local Kroger. I finally found some flour at Walmart, a week or so after I first needed it. Now I hear everyone's making sourdough bread, all of a sudden. I wonder where they're getting their starter.

I got some hazelnuts at a greatly reduced price the other day, so I'll probably bake something tomorrow. I'll put it to a vote: biscotti or pumpkin-hazelnut bread?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 03:22:33 am »
Early in the "stay at home" period, I couldn't believe how the baking supplies had been decimated at my local Kroger. I finally found some flour at Walmart, a week or so after I first needed it. Now I hear everyone's making sourdough bread, all of a sudden. I wonder where they're getting their starter.

I got some hazelnuts at a greatly reduced price the other day, so I'll probably bake something tomorrow. I'll put it to a vote: biscotti or pumpkin-hazelnut bread?

I neglected my starter for so long that I couldn't revive it so I ordered a live starter from https://breadtopia.com/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 03:37:27 am »
Now I hear everyone's making sourdough bread, all of a sudden. I wonder where they're getting their starter.

I started a starter about 2 weeks ago - Though I have been doing it in half measures... She got bubbly about 4 days ago and it's good to go now. Almost in time... I am on my last loaf of store-bought right now.

And the OP is right. I have had 25 lbs on order with the Azure truck for going on a month and a half. Just a normal order for me, before all this blew up. I probably have 15 lbs laying here, but that won't last too long feeding a production starter and making a loaf or two a week plus biscuits and pizza/pie crusts and such...

It's turning into a bother. Might have to abandon the thought and just go to bannock. Or figure out how to shell some animal feed and get to the berries...  :shrug:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 03:53:18 am »
Providing I behave well, I get cookies, cake, or both.

She has me all schizzo.

She says I should not have it, then she bakes it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 03:54:31 am »
I neglected my starter for so long that I couldn't revive it so I ordered a live starter from https://breadtopia.com/

I find it hard to keep a stater going, me by myself. Normally there is a lot of pressure to use it, and there is way too much...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 10:02:08 am »
I think I’ll do this when the holidays are over. Thanks for the idea.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️