Author Topic: New Data Shows U.S. Companies Are Definitely Leaving China  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

New Data Shows U.S. Companies Are Definitely Leaving China
« on: April 08, 2020, 12:11:34 am »
Forbes, Apr 7, 2020, Kenneth Rapoza

U.S. companies are leaving China thanks to the trade war. They’ll leave even more thanks to the pandemic.

Sorry, Davos Man. Your China-led globalization is going out of style like bell bottoms.

Global manufacturing consulting firm Kearney released its seventh annual Reshoring Index on Tuesday, showing what it called a “dramatic reversal” of a five-year trend as domestic U.S. manufacturing in 2019 commanded a significantly greater share versus 14 Asian exporters tracked in the study. Manufacturing imports from China were the hardest hit.

Last year saw companies actively rethinking their supply chain, either convincing their Chinese partners to relocate to southeast Asia to avoid tariffs, or by opting out of sourcing from China altogether.

"Three decades ago, U.S. producers began manufacturing and sourcing in China for one reason: costs. The trade war brought a second dimension more fully into the equation―risk―as tariffs and the threat of disrupted China imports prompted companies to weigh surety of supply more fully alongside costs. COVID-19 brings a third dimension more fully into the mix­, and arguably to the fore: resilience―the ability to foresee and adapt to unforeseen systemic shocks," says Patrick Van den Bossche, Kearney partner and co-author of the 19-page report.

More:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/04/07/new-data-shows-us-companies-are-definitely-leaving-china/#7db0559640fe

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: New Data Shows U.S. Companies Are Definitely Leaving China
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:12:40 am »
FTA

The full extent of the societal and economic trauma the coronavirus pandemic may cause is unknown still, the Kearney report’s authors wrote. But whatever the outcome, a return to status quo China trade pre-pandemic is unlikely.

Kearney predicts companies “will be compelled to go much further in rethinking their sourcing strategies, (and) their entire supply chains.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:53:45 am »
China miscalculated.

The extent of our response remains to play out.

" fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto%27s_sleeping_giant_quote
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 01:51:53 pm »
China miscalculated.

The extent of our response remains to play out.

" fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto%27s_sleeping_giant_quote
Am not convinced China guessed wrongly.  It has a very long strategic horizon.

Have you heard this podcast?
http://www.iheart.com/podcast/1069-newts-world-30589442/episode/episode-16-china-how-we-42915717/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 06:15:22 pm »
The question that needs to be asked is "How much are we going to charge them to allow them to come back?"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:46:20 pm »
Am not convinced China guessed wrongly.  It has a very long strategic horizon.

Have you heard this podcast?
http://www.iheart.com/podcast/1069-newts-world-30589442/episode/episode-16-china-how-we-42915717/

I have listened to Gingrich a couple of times recently.

I would not call this virus a win for China. Their own people can't be happy about dying. And most of the world can't be happy, either.

A strong case damages them, for delays reporting thetruth and severity about the virus.

If the US and major trading partners "decouple" from China, they lose.

I do not claim to predict the future.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 06:59:41 pm »
I have listened to Gingrich a couple of times recently.

I would not call this virus a win for China. Their own people can't be happy about dying. And most of the world can't be happy, either.

A strong case damages them, for delays reporting thetruth and severity about the virus.

If the US and major trading partners "decouple" from China, they lose.

@truth_seeker

China doesn't care what you or I think. Nor do they care about what other governments think. They (The Chinese ruling families)  are "in" with the international banking families now,and as long as they are all making money,everything is just peachy-keen.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:00:40 pm by sneakypete »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 07:12:19 pm »
@truth_seeker

China doesn't care what you or I think. Nor do they care about what other governments think. They are "in" with the international banking families now,and as long as they are all making money,everything is just peachy-keen.

China must keep their subjects happy enough to not revolt.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 11:06:39 pm »
China must keep their subjects happy enough to not revolt.

@truth_seeker

The ruling class in China command the largest army in the world. They don't give a damn if their subjects are happy or not,as long as they behave themselves.

They have no qualms at all about turning tanks loose on crowds.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:47 pm »
China has ruined its' international reputation. They have lost face.

Foreign investment will flee China. Foreign manufacturing companies will flee China. The government of China is going to get sued for billions of dollars. There those law suits are successful Chinese assets will be seized.

China is totally screwed and our cold war with China could very easily and quickly turn hot. Which is why President Trump is speaking very softly and respectfully about China.

The CCP does not mind killing millions of people, it has done that before. We had better be ready for them to try again. I would not want to be on an aircraft carrier patrolling the South China Sea.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 11:34:31 pm »

Foreign investment will flee China. Foreign manufacturing companies will flee China. The government of China is going to get sued for billions of dollars. There those law suits are successful Chinese assets will be seized.

China is totally screwed and our cold war with China could very easily and quickly turn hot. Which is why President Trump is speaking very softly and respectfully about China.

The CCP does not mind killing millions of people, it has done that before. We had better be ready for them to try again. I would not want to be on an aircraft carrier patrolling the South China Sea.

@jpsb

I could easily be wrong,but I don't think there is anything to worry about. The Chinese leadership are not fools. They KNOW they can't defeat us,and will die themselves if they declare war.

They have morphed from being communists to being fascists,and they will just write this off as a learning experience,and move on to newer investments.

When you outright OWN a nation so large and populous,you can afford to do that.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 11:40:27 pm »

I've read that the Chinese think they can win a nuclear war in sheer numbers.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jpsb

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 11:54:06 pm »
No one wins a nuclear war. Think about all the nuclear plants that would melt town a few days after a nuclear strike. Human kind would be lucky to survive. Maybe New Zealand, maybe Alaska, maybe Amazon rain forest. Continental US and Mainland China would be toast.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 11:54:17 pm »
I've read that the Chinese think they can win a nuclear war in sheer numbers.

Sheer numbers of troops or sheer numbers of warheads?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:48 am »
Sheer numbers of troops or sheer numbers of warheads?

Just plain old sheer number of people.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jpsb

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 12:27:47 am »
Just plain old sheer number of people.

Well "they" should read "The Day After Tomorrow" it is a good book but it missed the fact that all the nuclear power plants will melt down without proper maintenance. Imagine hundreds of Fukushima's in Continental USA. Dido China, just about everyone dead, even if you have a very good bunker.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 12:29:24 am »

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 12:31:42 am »
   IMHO, this is BS, purely a Trumper's pipe dream.

The CofC is ALWAYS going to follow the 'Cheap Labor', regardless of Country of Origin, bank it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 12:37:44 am »
Well "they" should read "The Day After Tomorrow" it is a good book but it missed the fact that all the nuclear power plants will melt down without proper maintenance. Imagine hundreds of Fukushima's in Continental USA. Dido China, just about everyone dead, even if you have a very good bunker.

It has been some years since I read the info, so I can't t supply a link.

There is a book I read a long time ago. Published late 50's or early 60's.

Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald

I have the thought that if anyone would go nuke in a war it would be the CCP leaders. As long as THEY thought THEY would survive to hell with the rest of the world.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 12:39:30 am »
It is my understanding that all the Nuclear reactors in the US have the ability to Scram, Trip, Emergency Shutdown.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 12:45:49 am »
It is my understanding that all the Nuclear reactors in the US have the ability to Scram, Trip, Emergency Shutdown.

You would hope so. I think any failures of the failsafe would be from a nuke strike. I don't know about an earthquake event that 'hit' dead on a reactor. Causing a breach.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:54 am »
It has been some years since I read the info, so I can't t supply a link.

There is a book I read a long time ago. Published late 50's or early 60's.

Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald

I have the thought that if anyone would go nuke in a war it would be the CCP leaders. As long as THEY thought THEY would survive to hell with the rest of the world.

I agree with you, the Chicoms don't give a damn about anything other then the Chicoms, given the chance they would burn the world if they thought they would survive. But they won't and they know it. At least I hope they know it. Thousands and thousands of nukes would rain down on China. Yeah they could take us out, but we could turn all of inhabitable China into radioactive glass.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 12:56:59 am »

Wrong, all require active cooling to avoid a meltdown. However there are new designed that don't, we need to start building 3rd gen nuke power plants.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 12:59:39 am »
You would hope so. I think any failures of the failsafe would be from a nuke strike. I don't know about an earthquake event that 'hit' dead on a reactor. Causing a breach.

Shutting down is not the issue, Fukushima shut down successfully, keeping the reactor cool is the issue and that requires big working pumps. And no broken pipes.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 01:34:02 am »

This of course comes AFTER these US companies gave them the blue prints to build their factories in China, filled those factories with the capital goods and intellectual know-how needed for manufacturing, and then taught China how to produce their product.  The US companies may be leaving, but their 'product' will continue to be manufactured in China for Chinese owners who will keep 100% of the revenue.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-