Author Topic: IHME Model Lowers U.S. Coronavirus Death Projections  (Read 687 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
IHME Model Lowers U.S. Coronavirus Death Projections
« on: April 07, 2020, 12:00:54 am »
Michael Patrick Leahy 6 Apr 2020

On Monday the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model cited by the White House Coronavirus Task Force lowered its projections of coronavirus deaths in the United States by August 4 to 81,776, down more than ten percent from the 93,765 projected on April 1, as Breitbart News reported on Wednesday.

Notably, the model also lowered projections of the number of states that will not have enough regular or ICU hospital beds to admit all identified coronavirus patients at the peak in their states from 37  in the April 1 projection to 20 in Monday’s projections.

Tennessee is one of the states in which IHME lowered projections for deaths and hospital capacity dramatically.

On Friday, the IHME model projected 93,531 coronavirus deaths in the United States by August 4, including more than 3,000 in the Volunteer State. The model also projected Tennessee would not have sufficient hospital capacity on the peak date of April 19. But on Monday, the model lowered the death projections in the state to 587 and projected the state would have more than enough hospital capacity on a new peak date of April 15.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/06/ihme-model-lowers-u-s-coronavirus-death-projections/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: IHME Model Lowers U.S. Coronavirus Death Projections
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 02:34:00 am »
I always take breitbart with a hand full of salt.  It is both frightening that 80k is a best case scenario and comforting that they too finally recognize the danger and huge number of fatalities we face.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 06:04:50 am »
I always take breitbart with a hand full of salt.  It is both frightening that 80k is a best case scenario and comforting that they too finally recognize the danger and huge number of fatalities we face.
Okay, then look at the IHME projections, themselves. COmpare them to your State. They are insanely high for mine compared to actual numbers. https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »
Okay, then look at the IHME projections, themselves. COmpare them to your State. They are insanely high for mine compared to actual numbers. https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
I guess breitbart must be fear mongering COVID-19 to score points against my President. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:38:29 pm »
I guess breitbart must be fear mongering COVID-19 to score points against my President.
Currently they show a cumulative number of fatalities, adding the numbers (solid line on their graph) of daily deaths that is 7 times the number who have died in my state. I have contacted them and pointed out the discrepancy, with sources so they can verify my assertion. We will see if they correct it.

I recommend anyone check those numbers against your State's Dept of Health website of other sources. We really don't need unnecessary panic. This is bad enough without inflating the effects.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 07:49:51 pm »
Currently they show a cumulative number of fatalities, adding the numbers (solid line on their graph) of daily deaths that is 7 times the number who have died in my state. I have contacted them and pointed out the discrepancy, with sources so they can verify my assertion. We will see if they correct it.

I recommend anyone check those numbers against your State's Dept of Health website of other sources. We really don't need unnecessary panic. This is bad enough without inflating the effects.
@Smokin Joe You almost got me to click on a link to breitbart.  I'm willing to concede their numbers are fictitious without investigation due to past investigations of their journalism.  I trust them less than the MSM.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 07:55:03 pm »
@Smokin Joe You almost got me to click on a link to breitbart.  I'm willing to concede their numbers are fictitious without investigation due to past investigations of their journalism.  I trust them less than the MSM.
Just check the IHME website directly, then

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/north-dakota

C S Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 09:49:43 pm »
Just check the IHME website directly, then

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/north-dakota
They look a little anxious to add deaths to ND but their national figures are pretty close.  Was there something else I should see?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 10:12:50 pm »
They look a little anxious to add deaths to ND but their national figures are pretty close.  Was there something else I should see?
Check their state figures against your state's figures and see if your state's stats are inflated, too.

Claiming 29 vs 4 actual? Really?
Do that 50 times over and add another 1250 to the body count.
I just gave you thei link so you could check without soiling your little cursor going to breitbart.

C S Lewis

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 10:27:19 pm »
I just gave you thei link so you could check without soiling your little cursor going to breitbart.
Hey, I really appreciate that.   happy77

Wisconsin Projected deaths for today on
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/wisconsin                      96
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/                                     92

Not really far off.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 10:28:10 pm »
Med prof: There are ‘major problems’ with current coronavirus mortality estimates
Addison Smith
April 3, 2020
As coronavirus hysteria dominates the globe, scientists and health experts and professors have taken to major news outlets citing shocking data and grim projections to stress the disease’s purported severity. But some academics and medical experts believe that the threat of the disease is being wildly overblown based on what we know about it so far.

Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, told The College Fix that there are “at least two major problems with current estimates of the COVID-19 mortality rate,” and that the estimated death rate is likely far too high. ...

“Fear of Covid-19 is based on its high estimated case fatality rate—2% to 4% of people with confirmed Covid-19 have died, according to the World Health Organization and others,” the professors wrote. They argued that preliminary data indicate a possible fatality rate as low as 0.06 percent.

In his interview with The College Fix, Bhattacharya outlined why the widespread estimates of that rate are likely very flawed.

“First, they are based upon a testing technology that registers as positive if the virus is present and negative if not. Patients who are infected and recover are not counted. The second problem is that the set of people who are tested tend to be people who are relatively advanced in the course of disease,” he said. ...
More at The College Fix
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 10:34:59 pm »
I'm wondering who it was that insisted on this IHME model being the standard?  I'm sure it couldn't have been the good Dr. Fauci or Dr. Blix perhaps.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien