Author Topic: Acting Navy secretary: 'I stand by every word I said' after leak of carrier speech  (Read 425 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/06/kaine-blasts-navy-leaders-completely-inappropriate-comments-on-fired-captain-168482
Rep. Elaine Luria (D-Va.), a retired Navy officer who represents the Norfolk area, called for Esper to oust Modly over his remarks to sailors aboard the Roosevelt.

"TR Sailors are on the frontlines of this pandemic and of our nation’s defense in the Pacific," Luria said in a statement. "Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly’s remarks to the crew show that he is in no way fit to lead our Navy through this trying time. [Defense Secretary Mark] Esper should immediately fire him."

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) slammed Modly on Monday over the Navy leader's criticism of the captain.

"Based on the transcript I've read, Secretary Modly’s comments were completely inappropriate and beneath the office of the Secretary of the Navy," Kaine said in a statement.

"It’s deeply disappointing that he would deliver a speech on board a U.S. aircraft carrier suggesting that Captain Crozier might be ‘stupid’ and bashing the media for trying to report the truth," added Kaine, a Virginia Democrat who represents a large swath of Navy installations and the shipbuilding industry. "These dedicated sailors deserve better from their leadership."

more at link

I guess Modly didn't think his speech would leak. 

stuart stevens @stuartpstevens
I suppose it’s inevitable Jared Kushner will also have to take over the Navy.
2:59 PM · Apr 6, 2020

John Miller @jjmblog
Replying to @stuartpstevens
He’s read more than a dozen books on naval history.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:22:24 pm by Once-Ler »

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1247327302834405377

David B. Larter@DavidLarter
BREAKING: Acting Secnav apologizes for comments amid calls for his resignation.

7:56 PM · Apr 6, 2020

"I stand by every word I said" = "sorry"

https://www.defensenews.com/2020/04/07/modly-apologies-for-remarks-as-key-lawmakers-call-for-his-resignation/

Modly apologies for remarks as key lawmakers call for his resignation

WASHINGTON — Less than 24 hours after flying to Guam and igniting a firestorm of public criticism, including from key members of Congress, Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly issued a public apology Monday evening.

On Monday, Modly flew out to Guam and addressed the crew of the carrier Theodore Roosevelt on his recent decision to relieve the commanding officer, Capt. Brett Crozier, over a letter leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle that urged the Navy to remove the bulk of the crew off the ship as quickly as possible to avoid further spread of COVID-19 on board.

In his remarks to the crew, Modly said the issue had become a scandal in Washington and that if the CO didn’t think his letter would leak he was either “too stupid or too naïve to be the commanding officer of a ship like this,” adding that “the alternative is he did it on purpose.”

Can Captain Crozier apologize and get his job back?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:05:58 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
No, he just doesn't care.  Believes he is right.  Has Trump repeating his criticism too.  And maybe if it were a different time and situation he could be right.  But knowing how fast that this virus moves I think the Commander did what he felt necessary.  Unfortunate he felt he had to send the letter to get help in time to save sailors on his ship.  And he of course does now have the virus himself.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

No, he just doesn't care.  Believes he is right.  Has Trump repeating his criticism too.  And maybe if it were a different time and situation he could be right.  But knowing how fast that this virus moves I think the Commander did what he felt necessary.  Unfortunate he felt he had to send the letter to get help in time to save sailors on his ship.  And he of course does now have the virus himself.

I wonder what lesson is learned when leaders are punished for protecting the people under their charge?

Offline jpsb

How smart is it to do a port of call visit in Vietnam during a global pandemic that started in China. Vietnam borders China. This captain is a freaking idiot. Navy was right to relieve him of command. He went completely outside the chain of command. He should be retired.

Offline mortarman

Reminds me of the mindset the Navy had before Dec. 7, 1941. If an officer were to so much as scratch the hull of a ship by how he maneuvered the ship, he was all butt court martialed with no hope for promotion. After Dec. 7, they would be rewarded for aggressive leadership.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe now the SECNAV will see that what the Navy really doesn't need are leaks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis