Author Topic: Fact check: Did the Obama administration deplete the federal stockpile of N95 masks?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
USA Today by Matthew Brown 4/4/2020

The claim: The Obama administration used and did not replenish the nation’s emergency stockpile of medical supplies, including N95 masks

“The Obama administration significantly depleted the federal stockpile of N95 respirator masks to deal with the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009 and never rebuilt the stockpile despite calls to do so,” the piece begins.

The article draws from the reporting of outlets including Bloomberg News and the Los Angeles Times. According to Bloomberg News, “after the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009, which triggered a nationwide shortage of masks and caused a 2- to 3-year backlog orders for the N95 variety, the stockpile distributed about three-quarters of its inventory and didn’t build back the supply.”

Our rating: True

We rate this claim TRUE because it is supported by our research. There is no indication that the Obama administration took significant steps to replenish the supply of N95 masks in the Strategic National Stockpile after it was depleted from repeated crises. Calls for action came from experts at the time concerned for the country’s ability to respond to future serious pandemics. Such recommendations were, for whatever reason, not heeded.

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/03/fact-check-did-obama-administration-deplete-n-95-mask-stockpile/5114319002/

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I don't even remember people wearing them.  But I do know that Trump sent 18 tons of medical supplies to China in February.

VERIFY: Yes, the US sent about 18 tons of medical supplies to China in early February
A viral claim circulating online that President Donald Trump sent 18 tons of PPE to China. It wasn't all PPE and it was sent before many cases surfaced in the US.

Secretary Pompeo
✔
@SecPompeo

We have coordinated with U.S. organizations to transport more humanitarian relief to people in Wuhan. Personal protective equipment and other medical supplies donated by these organizations can help save lives in #China and help protect people from the #coronavirus.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-the-us-did-send-18-tons-of-medical-supplies-to-china-in-early-february/285-b35dc31a-3183-4a81-ac6e-90ddc32a313d
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:44:38 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

I don't even remember people wearing them.  But I do know that Trump sent 18 tons of medical supplies to China in February.

VERIFY: Yes, the US sent about 18 tons of medical supplies to China in early February
A viral claim circulating online that President Donald Trump sent 18 tons of PPE to China. It wasn't all PPE and it was sent before many cases surfaced in the US.

Secretary Pompeo
✔
@SecPompeo

We have coordinated with U.S. organizations to transport more humanitarian relief to people in Wuhan. Personal protective equipment and other medical supplies donated by these organizations can help save lives in #China and help protect people from the #coronavirus.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-the-us-did-send-18-tons-of-medical-supplies-to-china-in-early-february/285-b35dc31a-3183-4a81-ac6e-90ddc32a313d

This thread is about the useless POS Obama.

Offline Chosen Daughter

This thread is about the useless POS Obama.

I always forget that we aren't supposed to point out Trumps fault.  Just not appropriate.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

I always forget that we aren't supposed to point out Trumps fault.  Just not appropriate.

On the contrary. If not for the freedom to ‘point out Trumps faults’ you’d have utterly nothing to say.

Offline Chosen Daughter

On the contrary. If not for the freedom to ‘point out Trumps faults’ you’d have utterly nothing to say.

@skeeter

Not nothing.   There are sometimes that I have given praise to Trump.  But this is idiocy.  We are in a crisis right now.  And if they were so worried about masks, and we know we have been in a shortage they shouldn't have been giving them away.  Giving them away to Communist China who most probably intentionally, or unintentionally spread this virus to the world.

What I would point out is that this has been mentioned and nobody here want to talk about that.  So, I agree Obama is an idiot.  We couldn't have done anything about that.  I have called Obama an idiot the whole time he was president.  Even a terrorist.  But here, right now.  The president gave masks away to China.  And you can't have a discussion about what Obama did years ago without talking about why if there was a shortage Trump would give them away to China.

And while we are at it.  He gave them away and you can't get them.  Nurses and doctors have been suffering.   People should have been wearing them too, while out.  Perhaps we would have had even smaller infection rates.

Thanks Trump for giving our medical supplies to the Communist dictator.  Thank you for advising us incorrectly that we shouldn't wear masks.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:36:02 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Not nothing.   There are sometimes that I have given praise to Trump.  But this is idiocy.  We are in a crisis right now.  And if they were so worried about masks, and we know we have been in a shortage they shouldn't have been giving them away.  Giving them away to Communist China who most probably intentionally, or unintentionally spread this virus to the world.

What I would point out is that this has been mentioned and nobody here want to talk about that.  So, I agree Obama is an idiot.  We couldn't have done anything about that.  I have called Obama an idiot the whole time he was president.  Even a terrorist.  But here, right now.  The president gave masks away to China.  And you can't have a discussion about what Obama did years ago without talking about why if there was a shortage Trump would give them away to China.

And while we are at it.  He gave them away and you can't get them.  Nurses and doctors have been suffering.   People should have been wearing them too, while out.  Perhaps we would have had even smaller infection rates.

Thanks Trump for giving our medical supplies to the Communist dictator.  Thank you for advising us incorrectly that we shouldn't wear masks.
Might it not have occurred to you that the US helping China attempt to contain this virus within China might have been considered a valid strategy back in February, and that hindsight is always 20/20?

Offline MOD3

@Chosen Daughter, please remember that you are not the topic of this thread. Others on this thread should keep this in mind too.

Offline PeteS in CA

Might it not have occurred to you that the US helping China attempt to contain this virus within China might have been considered a valid strategy back in February, and that hindsight is always 20/20?

Context matters. What was known and "known" in the first days of February is not what we currently know and "know". But ignoring that, the national stockpile of N95 masks was depleted by ~88% in 2009/2010, and in the ensuing 6 years, contrary to advice, replenishing the stockpile did not happen. And N95 mask were a small part of what was sent to China, which KHOU acknowledged.

Further, China was, at the time (context matters), the world's principle source of information. At the time (context matters), telling China to F-off would have been monumentally dumb (and would have become the alternative grist for the Hate-Trumpers' mills).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@Chosen Daughter, please remember that you are not the topic of this thread. Others on this thread should keep this in mind too.

Its just the nature of posting threads.

The majority of my posted topics don't even receive any comments.

The next percentage are the hijacked threads.

The smallest percentage of my topics are ones that receive meaningful replies and stay on point.

It's just what it is. I guess that's why we don't really need a lot of different cats.

Offline skeeter

Context matters. What was known and "known" in the first days of February is not what we currently know and "know". But ignoring that, the national stockpile of N95 masks was depleted by ~88% in 2009/2010, and in the ensuing 6 years, contrary to advice, replenishing the stockpile did not happen. And N95 mask were a small part of what was sent to China, which KHOU acknowledged.

Further, China was, at the time (context matters), the world's principle source of information. At the time (context matters), telling China to F-off would have been monumentally dumb (and would have become the alternative grist for the Hate-Trumpers' mills).

Thanks for the context. I had no idea what portion of the help provided China consisted of masks - I just get tired of certain posters' relentless efforts to turn everything into a slam on Trump.

Offline Chosen Daughter

The smallest percentage of my topics are ones that receive meaningful replies and stay on point.

It's just what it is. I guess that's why we don't really need a lot of different cats.

Well, I like truth.  And if you are saying that your threads are hijacked by me you are not truthful.  I just scanned down the entire page of threads in National News/Current events.  You have probably 4 or 5.  They may not have a lot of posts but I didn't post in them at all.

In any of the categories as a matter of fact.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:27:22 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

I would respond, but it would be a slam.  Because I remember commenting in February when Trump said we only had a couple cases.  And he wasn't thinking about shutting down rallies.  It was known that early, and like it or not Trump was calling it a Democratic Hoax.  If you watch this video and can honestly say he was thinking seriously about the disease I would call you a liar.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Trump+on+COVID+February&docid=608033335681941753&mid=A04C66BA1848691C9B97A04C66BA1848691C9B97&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/trump-predicts-coronavirus-threat-will-soon-end-in-speech-to-governors/

He didn't think it was a big deal.  Wasn't worried about it here in the US.  But it was bad enough to send 18 tons of medical supplies to China.  I can give him credit in this way.  He wasn't intelligent enough to understand how we live in a global world and if it spread in China it would here too.

Yes, Obama is an idiot.  So is Trump.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:54:12 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline goatprairie

I would respond, but it would be a slam.  Because I remember commenting in February when Trump said we only had a couple cases.  And he wasn't thinking about shutting down rallies.  It was known that early, and like it or not Trump was calling it a Democratic Hoax.  If you watch this video and can honestly say he was thinking seriously about the disease I would call you a liar.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Trump+on+COVID+February&docid=608033335681941753&mid=A04C66BA1848691C9B97A04C66BA1848691C9B97&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Yes, Obama is an idiot.  So is Trump.
He wasn't calling the virus a hoax. He was calling the Dem attempt to blame him for the spread of the virus a hoax. That Trump didn't believe there was a threat from the virus is maybe the biggest myth going around on social media. That myth has been debunked numerous times. I shouldn't have to correct conservatives for believing the myth.
If you're going to slam Trump (which I've done often in the past), slam him for what he's actually done and not what the liberal media says he's done.

Online corbe

I hear ya @Elderberry
    I do hope I never tire of bringing things I find interesting on the interwebz home to share with my fellow Briefers.

Yes, I Jack a lot of Threads, most I prematurely assume are DEAD, wrongly.  If someone Jacks mine, It's karma and usually FUN.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

He wasn't calling the virus a hoax. He was calling the Dem attempt to blame him for the spread of the virus a hoax. That Trump didn't believe there was a threat from the virus is maybe the biggest myth going around on social media. That myth has been debunked numerous times. I shouldn't have to correct conservatives for believing the myth.
If you're going to slam Trump (which I've done often in the past), slam him for what he's actually done and not what the liberal media says he's done.

No matter what you make of the video.  And I posted the video.  No deception.  It is Trump making light of Corona Virus.  Saying we only had eleven people and they were fine.  And he didn't stop travel.  Americans and green card holders still were able to travel between the countries.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Some more interesting information.  At the first presser after the first coronavirus patient died Trump said we had 43 million masks. 2/29

start 11:30

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Trump+Presser+first+COVID+patient+dies&&view=detail&mid=9B44C3CC57B4302848419B44C3CC57B430284841&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DTrump%2BPresser%2Bfirst%2BCOVID%2Bpatient%2Bdies%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

And this is very crazy.  Breaking

What China Has Done to Starve U.S. Hospitals of Key Medical Equipment is Unforgivable

Matt Vespa
|
 @mvespa1
|
Posted: Apr 06, 2020 4:10 PM

Excerpt:

Leading US manufacturers of medical safety gear told the White House that China prohibited them from exporting their products from the country as the coronavirus pandemic mounted — even as Beijing was trying to “corner the world market” in personal protective equipment, The Post has learned.
Now, the Trump administration is weighing legal action against China over its alleged actions, a lawyer for President Trump said Sunday.
“In criminal law, compare this to the levels that we have for murder,” said Jenna Ellis, a senior legal adviser to Trump’s re-election campaign.
“People are dying. When you have intentional, cold-blooded, premeditated action like you have with China, this would be considered first-degree murder.”

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2020/04/06/what-china-did-to-starve-our-hospitals-of-key-medical-equipment-to-combat-the-wuh-n2566443

Confused.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I knew it was only a matter of time before you could find a reason to decide Trump is handling this all wrong.  Have the courage of your conviction and demand we Impeach Trump Again, Harder.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

I would respond, but it would be a slam. 

Hardly. 'Slamming' is only possible if the target has some regard for what you say & think.

Offline PeteS in CA

... like it or not Trump was calling it a Democratic Hoax ...

That claim is so stupidly false even the reliably Lib/Prog admitted it is false. Just for clarity, I said the claim is stupidly false.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That claim is so stupidly false even the reliably Lib/Prog admitted it is false. Just for clarity, I said the claim is stupidly false.

When all one has is a hammer, everything looks just like a nail. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

... And he didn't stop travel.  Americans and green card holders still were able to travel between the countries.

Wowzers! Trump didn't strand American citizens and Green Card holders in China or some other country! What an A-hole! And if he had, would it have been legal/constitutional?

BTW, what you did not mention is that:

* Those who were allowed to return who came from Hubei Province went into quarantine;

* Those who were allowed to return who came from other parts of China were screened for symptoms, and those with symptoms, whether cold/flu or coronavirus were to go into self-monitored quarantine.

If you're going to post nitpicking (that is a characterization of your post content), at least tell the full story, even if it complicates the nitpicking. And, yes, ignoring historical context and omitting relevant facts is nitpicking (in other words, I am not characterizing the coronavirus as a nit).

Offline PeteS in CA

When all one has is a hammer, everything looks just like a nail.