Author Topic: How Many Magazines Should You Have?  (Read 979 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
How Many Magazines Should You Have?
« on: April 05, 2020, 04:53:40 am »
It’s a question that pops up from time to time, and generally from a new shooter who just purchased their first firearm (obviously, one that feeds from a removable-box-type magazine, which I will simply call a “magazine” going forward because I don’t need to inflate word count).

The pistol or rifle they just bought only comes with one or two magazines, and they understand that having more is desirable. Magazines are a common failure point; many in the training community view them as consumable items. Springs wear out, followers get bent or damaged, floorplates get deformed hitting the ground; a whole host of reasons make owning multiple magazines for your firearm a good idea.

So, what’s the magic number, then? How many magazines should you have on hand? Let’s start with the obvious answer: All of them. I don’t mean a lot. I mean all of them. Every single last one. When you have roamed the earth like Caine collecting every magazine ever made, only then will you have enough.

Until that point, though, here are some general guidelines. These are my own, personal guidelines, mind you; I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I’m just a guy who owns a lot of guns (and a lot of magazines) and these are my experiences over the past [mumble] decades.

For your defensive pistol, the gun you carry everyday, I recommend a bare minimum of six magazines. Honestly, I debated saying 12, given the “two is one” principle (you’re going to lose one or two magazines, count on it; they break, don’t work as expected, etc. Something happens. Murphy will not be denied).

Six allows you to have three available to rotate in the carry firearm and an additional three to have available for range practice (while you should be practicing with your carry ammo, it doesn’t need to be at the same frequency as your regular practice. At the least, shoot “the good stuff” when we change the clocks). Rotate each set if it makes you feel better, but there’s not much reason to (more on this in a bit).

Six magazines—ideally 12—also gives plenty of capacity should you take a class or two (and you should; honestly, it’s a great way to test your gear, spot deficiencies in your shooting skills and just generally get better). The more magazines you can have loaded ahead of time the better—you’re paying for class time, not for magazine-loading practice. Also, if you practice at a public range where you pay by the hour, see above comment about not magazine-loading time—why spend time loading mags when you could be shooting?

For all other firearms, honestly, it’s personal preference (and, sadly, based on location, if you happen to live in an area that limits capacity, etc.). For plinking .22 pistols and rifles, again more is better—you’re buying these arms to either teach new shooters or just to have fun, and no one ever says “YAY! We’re loading magazines today!” While it’s a necessary skill we all need to learn, that’s something for week three, not the first range trip.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/4/4/how-many-magazines-should-you-have/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: How Many Magazines Should You Have?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:12:35 am »
Enough to kill all the zombies.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:34 am »
More than I can afford.... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 01:12:20 pm »
Enough,plus 2 extra,just in case.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 02:36:03 am »
As handguns  are to use to get you to your rifles. Buy your rifle magazines by the case. Your handgun magazines, not so many.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:25 pm »
As handguns  are to use to get you to your rifles. Buy your rifle magazines by the case. Your handgun magazines, not so many.

@Elderberry

And truly,if you are talking about a survival situation that might last a while,focus on a good quality revolver that is accurate,and speed loaders for it. Preferably one in 44 or 45 caliber with mid-range loads that are accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Either that or buy a whole damn CASE of new spare magazines for your auto-loader,and don't hesitate to throw one away the first time it gives you feeding problems.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:07:38 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 02:24:04 pm »

I used to have several. My favorites used to be Good House Keeping and Better Homes and Gardens. And Cooking Light was great for healthy but good recipes.  But I also looked forward to reading my monthly National Geographic magazine. Somehow after my great nephew talked me into signing up for a magazine subscription for his school, I ended up with not one but two subscriptions to Sports Illustrated and a subscription to Entertainment Weekly which I never read (OK I did read Entertainment Weekly but don’t tell anyone). At least it wasn’t 40 subscriptions to Vibe (Office Space reference).

But now most magazines have gone on-line.

Magazines?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 04:05:08 pm »

I used to have several. My favorites used to be Good House Keeping and Better Homes and Gardens. And Cooking Light was great for healthy but good recipes.  But I also looked forward to reading my monthly National Geographic magazine. Somehow after my great nephew talked me into signing up for a magazine subscription for his school, I ended up with not one but two subscriptions to Sports Illustrated and a subscription to Entertainment Weekly which I never read (OK I did read Entertainment Weekly but don’t tell anyone). At least it wasn’t 40 subscriptions to Vibe (Office Space reference).

But now most magazines have gone on-line.

Magazines?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

I get Taste of Home on my Kindle.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 04:44:42 pm »
I don't use any magazines to feed my Garands.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:59:02 pm by Elderberry »

Offline verga

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 07:02:13 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 08:17:05 pm »
I don't use any magazines to feed my Garands.

@Elderberry

No,but you still need a few clips.

I'm down to a couple of bandoleers of black tip for my Garand. No big deal. Haven't shot it in years.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 09:07:44 pm »
I may be down to only 1 bandoleer left of black tips. With 2 sons, they tend to go thru ammo. I still have around 500 rnds of delinked Greek MG ammo. It's not too bad.

I had a couple hundred pulled black tips, but I think my eldest claimed them.