Author Topic: Trump to Fire Intelligence Watchdog Who Had Key Role in Ukraine Complaint  (Read 546 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump to Fire Intelligence Watchdog Who Had Key Role in Ukraine Complaint
The president notified lawmakers late on Friday, saying he had lost confidence in the inspector general for the intelligence community.
NY Times, Apr 3, 2020

WASHINGTON — President Trump is firing the intelligence community inspector general whose insistence on telling lawmakers about a whistle-blower complaint about his dealings with Ukraine triggered impeachment proceedings last fall, the president told lawmakers in a letter late on Friday.

Mr. Trump is ousting the inspector general, Michael Atkinson, because he lost confidence in him, the president wrote in a letter to leaders of the two congressional intelligence committees. He gave no further explanation.

“As is the case with regard to other positions where I, as president, have the power of appointment, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, it is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as inspectors general,” Mr. Trump wrote. “That is no longer the case with regard to this inspector general.”

Under the law that created the position of the inspector general for the intelligence community, the president can only remove that person a month after notifying the intelligence communities of his intentions and rationale.

“The inspector general may be removed from office only by the president,” the law states. “The president shall communicate in writing to the congressional intelligence committees the reasons for the removal not later than 30 days prior to the effective date of such removal.”

Mr. Trump also wrote that he will later submit a nominee who “has my full confidence and who meets the appropriate qualifications.”

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/us/inspector-general-intelligence-fired.html

Devin Nunes: ‘Republicans have an active investigation into (IG Michael)Atkinson’
Sara Carter.com, Jan 6, 2020

https://saraacarter.com/devin-nunes-republicans-have-an-active-investigation-into-ig-michaelatkinson/

Democrats are outraged.   :smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Democrats are outraged.   :smokin:
I have the same fundamental response for them I have for the UN's 10% global tax...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis