Author Topic: CDC recommends face coverings for people leaving home  (Read 914 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CDC recommends face coverings for people leaving home
« on: April 03, 2020, 10:47:39 pm »
CDC recommends face coverings for people leaving home
By Jessie Hellmann - 04/03/20 05:49 PM EDT

President Trump announced on Friday that his administration would recommend Americans wear homemade masks or face coverings to prevent the spread of COVID-19 — but he repeatedly emphasized that the guidance is “voluntary.”

“It’s going to be really a voluntary thing,” Trump said during a White House briefing with reporters.

“You can do it. You don't have to do it. I'm choosing not to do it, but some people may want to do it, and that's OK,” he said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/491108-trump-recommends-face-masks-but-says-its-voluntary-and-he-wont-do-it
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: CDC recommends face coverings for people leaving home
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:18:11 pm »
I draw the line at wearing a face covering.  If I wanted to live where a face covering was part of life, I'd move to Iran. 

Online dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:23:46 pm »
When this is over, I hope Trump's first act is to disband the CDC.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:28 pm »

I prefer that the agency be made less political and operated by people who know what they're talking about.  This face covering issue -- first, we were told that masks do not keep us from contracting COVID 19.  Now they're recommending we wear them. Does anyone in DC know WTF they are doing?

Online dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 11:47:47 pm »
I prefer that the agency be made less political and operated by people who know what they're talking about.   

That's a pipe dream.

Online DB

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 11:51:53 pm »
I prefer that the agency be made less political and operated by people who know what they're talking about.  This face covering issue -- first, we were told that masks do not keep us from contracting COVID 19.  Now they're recommending we wear them. Does anyone in DC know WTF they are doing?

They were telling white lies so people wouldn't hoard masks preventing hospitals and the like from getting them.

They failed on both accounts.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 11:54:37 pm »
They were telling white lies so people wouldn't hoard masks preventing hospitals and the like from getting them.

They failed on both accounts.

A lie from the federal government?  What a surprise!   *****rollingeyes*****

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 12:11:45 am »
Common sense and logic would indicate that a face mask would be prudent in helping to protect oneself from the virus; medical professionals are using a mask -- so why wouldn't wearing a mask be helpful to the general public.

Common sense and logic would also indicate that those needing the masks the most are those on the front line taking care of those who become infected with the virus and become ill.

This is strictly a voluntary suggestion to give the public additional protection against the virus. I don't see the big deal.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 12:35:01 am »
@libertybele

It's really not a big deal to me.  I realized early on during this outbreak that government officials and agencies have no idea what's what with this virus and that they are lying to us most of the time about it.  In this outbreak, the stark reality is that none of us can depend on the government and we are on our own.  We have to make our own decisions. 

In this matter, my decision is to not cover my face.  I am self-isolated in my own home with no one living with me and no one visiting.  I do venture out for a daily walk around the neighborhood, weather permitting, but this once bustling neighborhood is now a ghost town  Today I saw two young kids walking their dog, but they were across the street -- more than enough social distancing.  The odds of me catching the virus on my daily walk are practically nil.  So my decision is to not wear a face covering. 

You and everyone else here, of course, should make your own decisions.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 01:20:05 am »
@libertybele

It's really not a big deal to me.  I realized early on during this outbreak that government officials and agencies have no idea what's what with this virus and that they are lying to us most of the time about it.  In this outbreak, the stark reality is that none of us can depend on the government and we are on our own.  We have to make our own decisions. 

In this matter, my decision is to not cover my face.  I am self-isolated in my own home with no one living with me and no one visiting.  I do venture out for a daily walk around the neighborhood, weather permitting, but this once bustling neighborhood is now a ghost town  Today I saw two young kids walking their dog, but they were across the street -- more than enough social distancing.  The odds of me catching the virus on my daily walk are practically nil.  So my decision is to not wear a face covering. 

You and everyone else here, of course, should make your own decisions.

I go for walks around the neighborhood as well and rarely see others along the way.  I don't see a reason to wear a mask to do that.  Anywhere else that I might go where there are others around, I'll wear a mask and gloves.  I am home all bunkered in till the end of the month as difficult as that is going to be.  I may have to run and pick up a prescription, but that's about it.   We have been advised in my area that the number of corona cases will double by next week so definitely time to stay put ... I can only hope and pray that we start to see the number of cases leveling off. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 01:23:15 am »

While I hate bureaucracies, in the age of terrorism and advanced biotechnology it’s not a good idea to not have, at the very least, an agency at the federal level to coordinate with the pentagon in the event of biological attacks and to act as central clearing house for information gathered from university research laboratories about new advances in public health.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 01:24:52 am »
While I hate bureaucracies, in the age of terrorism and advanced biotechnology it’s not a good idea to not have, at the very least, an agency at the federal level to coordinate with the pentagon in the event of biological attacks and to act as central clearing house for information gathered from university research laboratories about new advances in public health.

I agree, but this agency cannot be reformed as is.  Basically you have to start from scratch, and makes sure it sticks with the original mission, instead of getting sidetracked with garbage like so-called "Climate Change".

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 02:49:36 am »
Maybe have someone like Dr. Carson or someone like that start a new agency for this.  Let the old one run until the new one is in place.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 03:28:00 am »
A major function of the CIA, is "human intelligence" humint

To have spies on the ground, overseas.

Why didn't they give us an early "heas-up" on this?

Too busy plotting and scheming against Trump?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 03:46:34 am »
I draw the line at wearing a face covering.  If I wanted to live where a face covering was part of life, I'd move to Iran.
Right!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 05:43:00 am »
A major function of the CIA, is "human intelligence" humint

To have spies on the ground, overseas.

Why didn't they give us an early "heas-up" on this?

Too busy plotting and scheming against Trump?

Taiwan very likely knew what was going on very early. They shut down their borders immediately and did not buy the crap the CCP were selling. I have to believe Taiwan and our people talked about what they knew early on. The rest was politics.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 07:08:16 am »
Taiwan very likely knew what was going on very early. They shut down their borders immediately and did not buy the crap the CCP were selling. I have to believe Taiwan and our people talked about what they knew early on. The rest was politics.
I have reached the point that I fully believe there are people who do little else but examine every event for ways to use it against the POTUS. They have been working overtime, and their 'sources' have put politics or a paycheck ahead of this nation and the duties of their offices.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:48 am »

It depends where you’re going. Out for a walk, or to your mailbox, no. In a crowd, like a store, well, it’s up to you, but considering how rampant it is here, I’ll wear it for half hour.

Fortunately I haven’t been to a grocery store much, twice since around February 27. My banking and pharmacy were done via the drive through window

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:06:25 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 10:49:43 am »

It depends where you’re going. Out for a walk, or to your mailbox, no. In a crowd, like a store, well, it’s up to you, but considering how rampant it is here, I’ll wear it for half hour.

Fortunately I haven’t been to a grocery store much, twice since around February 27. My banking and pharmacy were done via the drive through window

Well.I was just stating my opinion.  Of course, everyone has to make up their own minds about what to do.  Unlike many people, I don't have to go to the grocery store, bank or pharmacy.  I'm retired, so I don't have to go to work.  Religious services are streamed.  And as I said, I don't encounter too many people in my walks around the neighborhood.  So there really is no need for a mask.

By the way, just out of curiosity, i checked  Amazon for these masks. Nothing through Prime -- all third party sellers. And the masks won't be shipped till sometime in May.  That makes me think it might be hard to get these masks from any seller right away. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 10:56:49 am »

I think you are wise. New Jersey is second only to New York in the number of cases.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 12:32:05 pm »
Common sense and logic would indicate that a face mask would be prudent in helping to protect oneself from the virus; medical professionals are using a mask -- so why wouldn't wearing a mask be helpful to the general public.

Common sense and logic would also indicate that those needing the masks the most are those on the front line taking care of those who become infected with the virus and become ill.

This is strictly a voluntary suggestion to give the public additional protection against the virus. I don't see the big deal.

Medical personnel use N95 masks to keep from being contaminated.

The cloth masks people are wearing protect others from you, so the only reason they would be helpful is if you are contagious.

We are being told, since this virus spreads so easily and is frequently asymptotic even if you have it, to assume you are contagious and to wear a mask for that reason.

However, if you are never within 6 feet on anyone else, there’s no need to wear a mask.

The only place I’m going is out for a daily walk, so I’m never going to wear one.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 12:39:23 pm »
Catturd â„¢  @catturd2
Before ... "Don't touch your face."
Now ... "Wear a mask."
Try putting on and taking off a mask - not getting your hands near your face.
8:30 AM · Apr 4, 2020

Justin  @DimWittyNYC
Replying to @catturd2
How long before Dr. Fauci tells us to learn to eat spaghetti with our feet?
8:32 AM · Apr 4, 2020

:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 05:15:25 pm »

...or maybe Brooklyn. My streets are empty of traffic and pedestrians. Everyone shopping at groceries and pharmacies are wearing masks, BJ’s (box store) was packed with people wearing masks, our food deliverers are masked. Me, not so much.

Part of life in my neck of the woods.

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 05:40:59 pm »
...or maybe Brooklyn. My streets are empty of traffic and pedestrians. Everyone shopping at groceries and pharmacies are wearing masks, BJ’s (box store) was packed with people wearing masks, our food deliverers are masked. Me, not so much.

Part of life in my neck of the woods.

I went for my usual this morning -- I saw two people walking in 40 minutes -- that was it.  However, they were both wearing masks.  The were on the other side of the street walking in the opposite direction -- not so sure why they felt a need to wear a mask - but more power to them.

I have 20 expired anti-bacterial masks and 2 N-95 masks.  I'll certainly wear them if I decide to venture out.  For now, I'm perfectly content and have everything that I need. Weather here today is beautiful, sunny with temps in the low '80's with 9 mph winds coming out of the WSW.

P.S.  Trying to look at the positives.