Author Topic: Robert F. Kennedy’s Granddaughter and Her 8-Year-Old Son Missing After Suspected Canoe Accident  (Read 1529 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Robert F. Kennedy’s Granddaughter and Her 8-Year-Old Son Missing After Suspected Canoe Accident

The granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy and her 8-year-old son were missing on Friday after they took a canoe out into rough waters on Chesapeake Bay, near Annapolis, on Thursday evening.

Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, 40, and her son, Gideon, rowed the canoe out around 4 p.m. to fetch a ball that had been kicked into the water by children playing in their yard, Maeve’s husband, David McKean, told The Washington Post. “They just got farther out then they could handle, and couldn’t get back in,” he said.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources police said an overturned canoe matching the description of the one that went missing was recovered. A search for the pair continued on Friday after it was suspended when night fell on Thursday.

Read more at:  https://www.thedailybeast.com/maeve-kennedy-townsend-mckean-robert-kennedys-granddaughter-and-son-missing-after-suspected-canoe-accident

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
As one who grew up in the tidewater of MD, you respect the water, don't take the wrong craft in the wrong conditions. The Bay, especially, can be brutally rough, and a canoe or kayak in those conditions is the wrong vessel.

Tragic miscalculation, and prayers up for the family.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LadyLiberty

Two deaths over trying to fetch a ball.

Offline mountaineer

What a bizarre - and sad - story!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

Two deaths over trying to fetch a ball.
Unfortunately, it happens. Kids run out in traffic every day after them.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Member of Kennedy family and her son identified as missing boaters
by Caitlin Yilek
 | April 03, 2020 03:28 PM

Two boaters who disappeared in the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis have been identified as the granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy and her son.

David McKean confirmed to the Washington Post that his wife, Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, and their 8-year-old son Gideon went missing Thursday afternoon while in a canoe on the Chesapeake Bay.

He said his wife, who is also the daughter of former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, and their son were trying to retrieve a ball that had been kicked into the water.

He said his wife and son “popped into a canoe to chase it down. They just got farther out than they could handle and couldn’t get back in.”

The Coast Guard said there were 30-mile-per-hour winds and waves 2 feet to 3 feet high around the time the pair went missing.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources police said Friday that a canoe matching the description of the boat used by the pair had been found. McKean would not say whether the canoe his wife and son were in had been recovered, but noted the search for his family is ongoing.

Search crews looked for the mother and son until it got dark on Thursday and resumed the search Friday morning.

“At this time, our family asks for privacy and that everyone keep Maeve and Gideon in their prayers,” family spokesman Alan Fleischmann said in a statement.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/member-of-kennedy-family-and-her-son-identified-as-missing-boaters
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Wow, prayers for them. But why would they do that?  When there are winds and it is dangerous they go after a ball?

Kennedy curse.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Apparently they didn't inherit Teddy's swimming prowess...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline mountaineer

More from NY Post:
... A concerned person called authorities around 4:30 p.m. Thursday to say he had seen the canoe near the Columbia Beach pier, according to Capt. Erik Kornmeyer, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

The caller reported that boaters were “seen struggling to return to shore in a canoe” near Herring Bay amid high winds before vanishing, the Coast Guard said.

Rescuers searched for the missing pair until nightfall Thursday and began again Friday morning, to no avail. A spokesman for the US Coast Guard told the Washington Post the wind in that part of the bay reached about 30 mph Thursday afternoon, with waves 2 to 3 feet high.  ...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Apparently they didn't inherit Teddy's swimming prowess...
It wasn't prowess, it was an inherent physical ability to float.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

Wow, prayers for them. But why would they do that?  When there are winds and it is dangerous they go after a ball?

Kennedy curse.

Kennedy arrogance.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

The granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy and her 8-year-old son were missing on Friday after they took a canoe out into rough waters on Chesapeake Bay, near Annapolis, on Thursday evening.

@TomSea

What the HELL was that idiot woman thinking? A freaking canoe in the open Chesapeake in choppy water? She grew up sailing and there is no freaking way she didn't know better. Now she is dead,which is no big loss in a world with no shortage of fools,but she killed that child while doing it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

@TomSea

What the HELL was that idiot woman thinking? A freaking canoe in the open Chesapeake in choppy water? She grew up sailing and there is no freaking way she didn't know better. Now she is dead,which is no big loss in a world with no shortage of fools,but she killed that child while doing it.
It's tragic also because all the firefighters (largely a volunteer force in MD, still), fish fuzz, coasties, DNR and F&W folks will be watching for a couple of corpses either unlikely to be found, or which will be discovered by some one just out walking on the beach in a week or two (water is still cold).  Even bailing out of the canoe and swimming to shore is way different from swimming in a pool. It takes timing, strength, endurance, and that's no guarantee.  (Where were their personal flotation devices (required)?) Would have made SAR easier, but in even 3 ft. waves, a bright life jacket can be hard to spot.  Unless you're hiding or duck hunting, a bright colored PFD with a strobe light, is almost a must.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

As one who grew up in the tidewater of MD, you respect the water, don't take the wrong craft in the wrong conditions. The Bay, especially, can be brutally rough, and a canoe or kayak in those conditions is the wrong vessel.

And you don't ever go out over the water without a life preserver on.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

And you don't ever go out over the water without a life preserver on.
Not if it is over knee deep...

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
What a bizarre - and sad - story!

Yes. This morning’s news indicated they were dead and now they’re looking for bodies. I feel sad for the dad
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes. This morning’s news indicated they were dead and now they’re looking for bodies. I feel sad for the dad
I'm mostly familiar with the lower Potomac above Pt. Lookout, but the same rules apply as for the Chesapeake Bay. This time of year, survival in cold water is unlikely after even a few hours.
In those waves, swimming without flotation devices involves diving into the face of oncoming waves, swimming through and popping up in the trough for air, or timing breaths between overtaking waves. It's timing, hard enough work by yourself, and even harder if you are trying to bring in a kid who is having trouble. 

If they had flotation devices on, they'd be hard enough to spot, but far better a chance of survival until rescue (and of rescue) than without them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:54:29 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

I nearly drowned canoeing several years ago on a swift river without a flotation vest. Stupid, stupid, stupid. That's a lesson every parent should drill into their children.

One of my first thoughts on hearing this story was, "Did they take a moment to put on vests before jumping into the canoe?"

Offline mountaineer

Wouldn't you know it, conspiracy theories have emerged. This is a tweet quoted in a BizPacReview article :
    The Kennedy that "drowned" today, Maeve McKean seems to have some legitimate ties to the Deep State.

-Obama State Department, Aids Program.
    -Worked for Dianne Feinstein both in California and on Capitol Hill.
    -Tied to WHO and PAHO thru various subcommittee activity.#QAnon pic.twitter.com/v2KXx70XVN

— Gingifride (@gingifride) April 3, 2020
:tinfoil:

Offline Smokin Joe

I nearly drowned canoeing several years ago on a swift river without a flotation vest. Stupid, stupid, stupid. That's a lesson every parent should drill into their children.

One of my first thoughts on hearing this story was, "Did they take a moment to put on vests before jumping into the canoe?"
We always kept them in the boat. get in, put it on. We also had those seat cushions with the straps that counted as PFDs for a while. They'd be okay in calmer waters if you were conscious.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

If they had flotation devices on, they'd be hard enough to spot, but far better a chance of survival until rescue (and of rescue) than without them.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,but they were Kennedy's,and Kennedy's don't need flotation devices because they ARE flotation devices.

People like them prove you only have to be smart enough to be born into a fortune to be rich.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wouldn't you know it, conspiracy theories have emerged. This is a tweet quoted in a BizPacReview article ::tinfoil:

@mountaineer

Only as a "name figurehead" to appointed positions where she could be counted on to follow directions and keep no more than her allotted cut from any deal brokered through her office.

If you want to know who is really in charge of that office,look for her executive assistant.

That whole damn family is D...U...M,dumb.

They ain't just regular,unleaded stupid,they are "Stoopid".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:18:07 pm by sneakypete »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Kennedy arrogance.
Meh, I was going with defective Kennedy brain cells. I don't know if there are really any modes of transportation that are still safe with that clan, maybe walking?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is an awful tragedy for this family ... prayers up for their comfort and strength.   :0001:

I also hope the Kennedys someday learn to think one step beyond the fun and excitement of a moment.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,but they were Kennedy's,and Kennedy's don't need flotation devices because they ARE flotation devices.

People like them prove you only have to be smart enough to be born into a fortune to be rich.
That water, River or Bay, really doesn't care who they are.

C S Lewis