Author Topic: Aircraft carrier captain removed from duty after pleading for help with coronavirus outbreak  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/490892-aircraft-carrier-captain-to-be-removed-from-duty-after-pleading-for-help-with

The captain of an aircraft carrier struggling with a coronavirus outbreak has been relieved from command after a letter he penned pleading for help leaked to the media.

Capt. Brett Crozier was relieved from command of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly announced on Thursday.

Crozier wrote a letter to Navy leaders that was obtained and published by the San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday, in which he warned of dire consequences if most of the sailors on Roosevelt aren’t evacuated.

As of Wednesday, 93 sailors on board the Roosevelt had tested positive for COVID-19. The 4,800-crew ship has been docked in Guam since last week while the entire crew is tested for the virus.

In his letter, Crozier pleaded in stark terms for permission to evacuate all but 10 percent of the crew from the Roosevelt, where he said it was impossible to properly isolate and quarantine sailors to stop a growing coronavirus outbreak.

He should have committed some war crimes instead.  He'd probably be up for a promotion
https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/476389-the-unpardonable-pardon-of-eddie-gallagher

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Maybe other members with military experience might opine on this.

To my mind, the military needs people that perform under pressure, and apparently this one was not up to par as determined by his superiors.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Is there any word on how his letter got into the hands of the San Francisco Chronicle?

Did he let them see it?  One of his crew? 

I heard that he said it was not intended to be made public, but it seems odd that it got out.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

Maybe other members with military experience might opine on this.

To my mind, the military needs people that perform under pressure, and apparently this one was not up to par as determined by his superiors.

They also don't need carrier captains who announce to our enemies that their multi-billion dollar weapon is less than 100% combat effective.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Twenty-four hours after the Navy's top leaders said they need commanding officers to be candid about problems, the captain of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier who pleaded for help has been relieved of command.

Capt. Brett Crozier, who commanded the carrier Theodore Roosevelt, was removed from his job after a letter he wrote about the situation on his ship was sent to people outside his chain of command, Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said.

"The responsibility for this decision rests with me," Modly said. "I expect no congratulations for it and it gives me no pleasure in making it. Captain Crozier is an honorable man who, despite this uncharacteristic lapse of judgment, has dedicated himself throughout a lifetime of incredible service to our nation, and he should be proud of that."

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Gilday said he supported Modly's decision.

The pair discussed Crozier's letter at length with reporters Wednesday and said, while disappointed it leaked to the press, that it was not inappropriate for the captain to raise concerns about the situation on his ship with his chain of command.

"I don't know who leaked the letter to the media -- that would be something that would violate the principles of good order if he were responsible for that, but I don't know that," Modly said Wednesday.

On Thursday, Modly said he still didn't know whether Crozier leaked the letter to his hometown newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle.

But sending it to anyone outside the chain of command, "who had been moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed," undermined the process, Modly said.

"For these reasons, I lost confidence in his ability to continue to lead that warship as it fights through this virus to get the crew healthy," he added.

Much remains unclear about how Modly arrived at his decision to fire Crozier after both he and Gilday implied yesterday that raising concerns about the health and safety of his sailors was not out of line.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/02/carrier-commanding-officer-fired-over-plea-resources-went-public.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2pd_zduKa_2jhvR5VfkHcyro4xYZrdWXfgETDe7V5NSHHK2mW32eigFVE#Echobox=1585863843
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:25:33 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"I don't know who leaked the letter to the media -- that would be something that would violate the principles of good order if he were responsible for that, but I don't know that," Modly said Wednesday.

On Thursday, Modly said he still didn't know whether Crozier leaked the letter to his hometown newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle.

But sending it to anyone outside the chain of command, "who had been moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed," undermined the process, Modly said.

"For these reasons, I lost confidence in his ability to continue to lead that warship as it fights through this virus to get the crew healthy," he added.

So... did the Captain suffer from a serious lapse in judgement, or did someone scuttle him?

This administration has been fighting leaks everywhere, and to me that reeks of partisanship, and undermining the Duly elected government of the United States.

Disclosures affecting national security (such as the readiness state of a Carrier in the face of a pathogen) may well be the sort of data gathering our (potential) enemies might find useful.

Unfortunately, a letter might not have been the best way to do this, an e-mail can at least generally be traced along its recipient paths.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
So... did the Captain suffer from a serious lapse in judgement, or did someone scuttle him?

This administration has been fighting leaks everywhere, and to me that reeks of partisanship, and undermining the Duly elected government of the United States.

Disclosures affecting national security (such as the readiness state of a Carrier in the face of a pathogen) may well be the sort of data gathering our (potential) enemies might find useful.

Unfortunately, a letter might not have been the best way to do this, an e-mail can at least generally be traced along its recipient paths.

No investigation no due process and they can't prove he's culpable for the leak of the letter to the newspaper.

FIRE HIM!!!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
“Today at my direction the commanding officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, Captain Brett Crozier, was relieved of command by carrier strike group commander Rear Admiral Stewart Baker,” acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly said Thursday during a Pentagon press briefing, according to CNN.

Modly said the captain was not removed from his position based on any evidence that Crozier shared the memo with the press. Crozier was removed from his duties for allowing “the complexity of his challenge with the COVID breakout on the ship to overwhelm his ability to act professionally when acting professionally was what was needed the most at the time,” the acting secretary of the Navy said.
“I have no information nor am I trying to suggest that he leaked the information. It was published in the San Francisco Chronicle. It all came as a big surprise to all of us that it was in the paper and that’s the first time I had seen it,” Modly added, according to CNN. “What I will say, he sent it out pretty broadly and in sending it out broadly he did not take care to ensure that it couldn’t be leaked and that’s part of his responsibility in my opinion.”

more
Navy Fires Aircraft Carrier Commander Who Begged For Help Over Coronavirus Cases
https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-navy-crozier-theodore-roosevelt/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

No investigation no due process and they can't prove he's culpable for the leak of the letter to the newspaper.

FIRE HIM!!!
Which makes me wonder who wanted him out, and who is covering their ass by shifting the spotlight.

In the meantime, the leaker remains, to compromise national security some later date.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I worked with one of these sailors before he joined the navy.  He is very special to us.  He had said that they were lucky to have their Commander.

Shameful.

Last I heard he had not contracted it.  We are praying for the Sailors.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:41:47 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Smokin Joe

I worked with one of these sailors before he joined the navy.  He is very special to us.  He had said that they were lucky to have their Commander.

Shameful.
Yes, but at the point the letter went to the press, the brass were pretty much on rails.
Question is who leaked the letter?
I would hope that if one of the higher ups isn't the leaker (covering their ass by eliminating the messenger), they have someone figuring out who let this letter into the hands of a media oblivious to the damage the release of such a communique might cause, so that person can be removed.

That said, while one might assume such communications would remain privileged and secure, this letter did not. It should have, because it speaks to the ability of a vessel to react to and deal with an infectious disease on board, details which are a matter of national security.

Unfortunately, this means any communications in the future have to be made by even more secure means, something which makes documenting those communications even more difficult, considering.
That someone leaked, means the ranks need to be investigated, another impediment to dealing with the disease.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
If NCIS does a thorough investigation and finds out the skipper did indeed leak the letter...THEN fire him.  But not before the investigation is done.

For all we know someone in the Pentagon or over at the Navy Yard with an axe to grind on the President leaked the letter.  Since it went to the SF Chronicle for all we know Pelosi or DiFi leaked it.

Regardless this has a half ass poorly done relief for a cause we don't know everything about yet.

And a naval officers career is ruined because of it.

Online Smokin Joe

If NCIS does a thorough investigation and finds out the skipper did indeed leak the letter...THEN fire him.  But not before the investigation is done.

For all we know someone in the Pentagon or over at the Navy Yard with an axe to grind on the President leaked the letter.  Since it went to the SF Chronicle for all we know Pelosi or DiFi leaked it.

Regardless this has a half ass poorly done relief for a cause we don't know everything about yet.

You know haw that too often works.

THe first thing let's do, let's kill all the lawyers messengers. Problem solved.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You know haw that too often works.

THe first thing let's do, let's kill all the lawyers messengers. Problem solved.

Yeah been on the receiving end of that a couple times myself

Online Smokin Joe

Yeah been on the receiving end of that a couple times myself
Being right can be a thankless job.  :beer:

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

I agree.  If they just fired him without an investigation there will be hell to pay.  These are our loved ones on that ship.  Our Service Members.  And hopefully they will find out why the Commander had to send a letter like that.  Doesn't sound like he was getting the help he needed.

Families are going to want to know.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I agree.  If they just fired him without an investigation there will be hell to pay.  These are our loved ones on that ship.  Our Service Members.  And hopefully they will find out why the Commander had to send a letter like that.  Doesn't sound like he was getting the help he needed.

Families are going to want to know.

Indeed they are. If you think the surface fleet has it bad...can you imagine what it's going to be like for those subs out on patrol when they come up to periscope depth and get news of what's happening in the world?

Offline Chosen Daughter

Indeed they are. If you think the surface fleet has it bad...can you imagine what it's going to be like for those subs out on patrol when they come up to periscope depth and get news of what's happening in the world?

Probably be the best thing.  They won't have it.

Online Smokin Joe

The question is one of who leaked the letter?
Because that person shouldn't be handling anything more classified than a laundry list in the future, and possibly not that.

This just might be a mole in the crew, someone up the food chain looking to crucify the messenger, or a host of other possibilities involving everything from partisan politics to personal vendettas to spying for a foreign power on the part of someone who should be FORMERLY entrusted to handle communications between command and the top brass.

Yep, the Captain's name is on it, so his career is likely over, but the keel hauling should not stop there by any means.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

I read the CNO said it was a communication error and the letter was never supposed to have been made public and anyone who has reached to rank of captain would know never to embarrass the brass in the ivory tower.  So, standing up for the health of his crew was less important than the dignity of his superiors.

Online Smokin Joe

I read the CNO said it was a communication error and the letter was never supposed to have been made public and anyone who has reached to rank of captain would know never to embarrass the brass in the ivory tower.  So, standing up for the health of his crew was less important than the dignity of his superiors.
"Error"?

Yeah, right.
So who else got gigged for the leak, or did it come from higher up?

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

'Captain Crozier! Captain Crozier!': Videos show sailors sending off ousted USS Roosevelt commander with cheers

Capt. Brett Crozier, then-commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt addresses the crew during an all-hands call in the ship’s hangar bay March 3, 2020. Crozier was relieved of command after his letter that warned sailors could die from the coronavirus outbreak aboard the carrier was leaked to the media.

KAYLIANNA GENIER/U.S. NAVY

By CHAD GARLAND | STARS AND STRIPES Published: April 3, 2020

Stars and Stripes is making stories on the coronavirus pandemic available free of charge. See other free reports here. Sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter here. Please support our journalism with a subscription.

A cheering and applauding crowd of sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt wished farewell to their captain, who the Navy relieved of command after he raised concerns about the spreading coronavirus on his ship in a letter that was leaked to the media.

Hundreds were pictured in the gathering in the ship’s hangar deck and many chanted Capt. Brett Crozier’s name in multiple videos posted to social media.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/captain-crozier-captain-crozier-videos-show-sailors-sending-off-ousted-uss-roosevelt-commander-with-cheers-1.624732

rangerrebew

Navy draws heavy fire for sacking skipper of coronavirus-infected aircraft carrier
by Jamie McIntyre
 | April 03, 2020 07:17 AM

RELIEVED OF COMMAND: At a hastily called news conference at the Pentagon late yesterday, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly read a lengthy statement explaining why he fired the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevent, an officer Navy officials had praised just one day before for requesting urgent action in the wake of a spreading coronavirus infection on his ship.

What sunk Capt. Brett Crozier was a letter he wrote Sunday night warning that sailors could die from COVID-19 “if we do not act now” and requesting permission to evacuate 4,000 of the 4,465 crew members from the carrier while it was docked in Guam.

“What he did that was correct, was recognize the situation, recognize that he needed to communicate what was going on in the ship,” said Modly. “The manner in which he chose to do it, not going directly to his strike group commander who's right down the hall from him and talking it through, is the reason I have a problem.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/navy-draws-heavy-fire-for-sacking-skipper-of-coronavirus-infected-aircraft-carrier

rangerrebew

Go through channels?  His whole crew could have been dead by the time he got through "channels" and anyone who has been in the  military knows it. 9999hair out0000

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Good. He played the fool. Removing him is the most sensible and safe thing to do.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley