Author Topic: He nailed the March coronavirus selloff — now he says there’s another 30% to go before the stock mar  (Read 500 times)

Offline libertybele

He nailed the March coronavirus selloff — now he says there’s another 30% to go before the stock market hits bottom

Hedge-fund manager Dan Niles, in a note cited by Yahoo Finance this week, warned his clients way back in February that he was getting “increasingly worried” investors weren’t ready for the impact the spread of the coronavirus could have on the U.S. economy.

So Niles positioned his portfolio accordingly. Good thing. While the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, 2.142% posted its worst first quarter ever, his Satori Fund closed in positive territory.

But, more importantly, where do stock markets go from? Definitely not higher, if Niles has it right.

“If you go back and look at history, there are nine times that the market has sold off about 30% or so since the 1920s, so it’s pretty normal,” he said this week. “You get one of these every 10 years or so and if you look at every one of them, you always get these bear market rallies.”

Niles told Yahoo Finance that he sees another major drop from here, pointing to valuations that are still hovering well above historical norms, even after the painful pullback.

“Just to get to average, you would have to have the market go down 30%,” he said. “It is very easy to figure out the market probably goes down 30% before we’re even near fair valuation.”.............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he-nailed-the-march-coronavirus-selloff-now-he-says-theres-another-30-to-go-before-the-stock-market-hits-bottom-2020-04-02?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Past performance is not an indicator of future results. That is particularly true of bloviating market prognosticators.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Past performance is not an indicator of future results. That is particularly true of bloviating market prognosticators.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results, but the markets over decades have shown a definite pattern which many economists and financial "gurus" use.

Some say we are heading into a long nasty recession, while others say we should bounce back rather quickly.  I say it's going to depend on how hard we are hit in the next coming weeks with this virus, how quickly people get their stimulus checks and unemployment.  Past charts show economic recessions, wars, and natural disasters, but those charts don't show market reaction to a pandemic. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Past performance is not a guarantee of future results, but the markets over decades have shown a definite pattern which many economists and financial "gurus" use.

Some say we are heading into a long nasty recession, while others say we should bounce back rather quickly.  I say it's going to depend on how hard we are hit in the next coming weeks with this virus, how quickly people get their stimulus checks and unemployment.  Past charts show economic recessions, wars, and natural disasters, but those charts don't show market reaction to a pandemic.

Everty time I see one of these articles, I chalk it up to the Broken Clock accuracy theory.  NO ONE ever has or ever will be able to accurately predict the market to much better than 50-60%.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.