Author Topic: The Pentagon’s Biggest Enemy Isn't China or Russia  (Read 291 times)

rangerrebew

The Pentagon’s Biggest Enemy Isn't China or Russia
« on: April 02, 2020, 12:51:14 pm »

The Pentagon’s Biggest Enemy Isn't China or Russia
By Samuel Arlington Page
April 01, 2020

Our military is faced with a conflicting dichotomy. On one hand, we tout that we are the most technologically advanced military force on the planet. On the other, the Pentagon states that we need to upgrade our defenses to keep up with the looming threats. Depending on which briefing you attend, you may hear that the Department of Defense (DoD) is operating under a very tight budget; meanwhile, the news media points out the United States spends more on defense than any other nation in the world.

So what gives? What is really happening?

To fully grasp the intricacies of the U.S. military’s budget and expenditures, we must take a holistic look at the budgetary process.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2020/04/01/the_pentagons_biggest_enemy_isnt_china_or_russia_115167.html

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: The Pentagon’s Biggest Enemy Isn't China or Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 10:31:15 am »
I thought the article presented logical ideas, but it is one side.  I would be curious to hear the other side, or perhaps multiple opinions that may vary.

I do know this, the US military spends more than the next seven countries combined.  Do we really need 10-11 aircraft carriers in the world when no one else has more than one.  And China is having difficulty getting the one they have to work for them.

We have troops stationed in 140+ countries.  Why?  And don't tell me it is for our national defense.  I do not believe it for a second.

And we are in Afghanistan why?  The notion that the USA occupies nations for decades, with no objective, no defined goals to be met by any particular date is unacceptable.  We have been training Iraq's military for almost 20 years.  And they cut and ran when ISIS came their way.  Pathetic training in my humble opinion.

We are squandering trillions in the middle east and for what?  What a waste.

Unless the military budget includes real cuts in spending, I just do not want to hear it.  Last I checked, we were giving Russia over $100 million in aid per year.  Why?  And there is so much of that nonsense.  We fund most of NATO to ultimately defend against Russia that we are also funding.  Does this make sense?  It doesn't to me.

There are so many things we spend billions on that are just not necessary.  We are spending trillions on this virus outbreak, driving national debt through the roof, and no focus on cutting that nice to have but not needed spending.

Congress has gone beyond criminal with their fiscal conduct.  We need to change Congress radically, or they will destroy the value of the DOLLAR, and make it worthless.  We have been saying this for many decades, and now, when confronted with the greatest threat to the USA in decades, we have a whole party that spends every waking minute trying to find a way to dislodge POTUS.  I say we dislodge them.  We have voting majorities for both houses for the Republicans, and first on the agenda is TERM LIMITS.  2nd:  mandatory balanced budget with one exception, during times of declared war by Congress.  Just getting these two things done would be huge.

3rd:  57% of America pay no income taxes.  So end income tax.  When it was started, it was 1%, and only intended to be around long enough to payoff the debt created by WWI.  End it, and move to a Fair Tax, which every other western nation has.  We are a consumer nation, and it makes sense.  My wife has a friend that makes as much as she does, does not pay one dime in taxes, is on Obamacare paying a premium of $10 or $20 per month when we pay $500.  There are so many inequities in this nation and it is not fair.

4th:  End illegal immigration.  All illegals are immediately deported, no exception.  We do have a right to defend and protect our borders, our nation.  No more immigration judges.  You want to come to the USA, you apply to come.  Take whatever amount needed from the defense budget and finish the wall in one year.  That wall is the best defense one could have on the southern border.

5th:  End lobbying as we know it in Washington.  It has to change. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 11:15:57 am »
I mostly agree.
I'd cut out the income tax in favor of a consumption tax, but I would not do a prebate scheme.
Instead, food, shelter (primary residence only), energy, and medicine would not be taxed (the necessities).
All else would be fair game.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 04:26:47 am »
What many are either unaware of, or refuse to accept, is plain and simple.
The Pentagon is both a 5 sided building as well as loaded w/DC bureaucrats 
whose one and only goal is to fatten their wallets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!