Author Topic: A GOP senator calls on Trump to reopen parts of the coronavirus-stricken economy because 'death is a  (Read 577 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-senator-open-economy-coronavirus-death-unavoidable-part-johnson-life-2020-3

A GOP senator calls on Trump to reopen parts of the coronavirus-stricken economy because 'death is an unavoidable part of life'

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin called to reopen parts of the American economy to avoid throwing it into a recession or depression. He said "death is an unavoidable part of life" in a USA Today op-ed published Monday.

Though Johnson didn't advocate to fully start up the economy, he said the crisis should be put into perspective.

"What more people are saying is that as we learn more about COVID-19, we should evaluate the total societal cost of this awful disease and try to put things into perspective," Johnson said.

The Wisconsin senator drew a parallel between the tens of thousands of Americans who die from suicide and the opioid overdose each year, noting "that level of individual despair has occurred in a strong economy."

Johnson — who sits on the Commerce and Homeland Security committees — also made a comparison to last year's "exceptionally bad flu season" and warned against overreaction.

More at link from a Senator I once voted for, but probably not again.

Hoodlum in Lockup again @HoodlumRIP
·
9h
Just spoke with my grandmother. It started out cordial and casual, then it got ugly. She has no intention of helping my 401k, or Trump with the economy. Very selfish. Sad.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What is all this stuff at the bottom? A tweet???

What is all this stuff at the bottom? A tweet???

More at link from a Senator I once voted for, but probably not again. This is my comment.  What follows is a tweet

Hoodlum in Lockup again @HoodlumRIP  Hoodlum in Lockup againis the author's name @HoodlumRIP is his twitter address
·
9h tweeted 9 hours ago
Just spoke with my grandmother. It started out cordial and casual, then it got ugly. She has no intention of helping my 401k, or Trump with the economy. Very selfish. Sad. The tweet

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.

LOL. As if Parscale's job won't be hard enough this fall.

Anybody who would agree with Johnson's statement is already voting GOP, so what is the benefit of saying such a thing?

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

LOL. As if Parscale's job won't be hard enough this fall.

Anybody who would agree with Johnson's statement is already voting GOP, so what is the benefit of saying such a thing?
Johnson has been a fantastic Presidential kiss-ass for the last 3 years.  Perhaps he thinks he's entitled to speak out, but given the exceptionally poor timing of this statement, I'd be more inclined to think this was the original expressed direction President Trump had untended until we hit the last 5 days and 2,000 deaths, and nobody remembered to tell Johnson.  Maybe Johnson isn't as tight with President Trump's inner circle as I thought.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
He's absolutely right, and I wish more politicians would come out and say it to take the heat off the ones that do.

He's absolutely right, and I wish more politicians would come out and say it to take the heat off the ones that do.

Trump 2020 - 'death is an unavoidable part of life'
*hmmmm*  That does sound good...
To a death cult

I think it sends a mixed message when the President just extended the guidelines of social distancing for another 30 days.  Does President Trump know Johnson's expressing his own opinion?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Trump 2020 - 'death is an unavoidable part of life'
*hmmmm*  That does sound good...
To a death cult

I think it sends a mixed message when the President just extended the guidelines of social distancing for another 30 days.  Does President Trump know Johnson's expressing his own opinion?

It's not just the President that is setting policy -- there are governors who already have set windows that last until June/July.  And logically, there's not going to be much of a reason to end them then either given the rationale being advanced given that a vaccine is still supposed to be at least 12-18 month away.

In Ohio, we've chugging along at about 5 deaths per day for a week.  That's about as flat a curve as you're going to find.  And if we're to believe our state health officials, we're going to lose a couple of thousand people at least by the time this is over.  So that means shutting down business and social lives for at least a year.  That is ridiculous, and not sustainable.  This isn't the damn Black Death.

It's not just the President that is setting policy -- there are governors who already have set windows that last until June/July.  And logically, there's not going to be much of a reason to end them then either given the rationale being advanced given that a vaccine is still supposed to be at least 12-18 month away.

In Ohio, we've chugging along at about 5 deaths per day for a week.  That's about as flat a curve as you're going to find.  And if we're to believe our state health officials, we're going to lose a couple of thousand people at least by the time this is over.  So that means shutting down business and social lives for at least a year.  That is ridiculous, and not sustainable.  This isn't the damn Black Death.

Thank you for your response @Maj. Bill Martin
So far I believe everything is voluntary.  Is that your understanding?  If people want to go out they will

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,396507.0.html
What happened to lockdown? Disbelief as CROWDS gather to watch 1,000-bed Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort arrive in Manhattan to assist with coronavirus outbreak - as Mayor de Blasio warns people may be fined $500 for not staying home

It isn't government shutting down the Market.  It is the virus.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Thank you for your response @Maj. Bill Martin
So far I believe everything is voluntary.  Is that your understanding?  If people want to go out they will

Physically leaving houses, yes.  But "non-essential" businesses have been threatened with fines if they don't shut down.  We're being told that we better have an explanation for the cops if we get pulled over.  I think that is unenforceable legally, but a lot of people are scared and obey it anyway because they don't understand their rights.

"Social distancing" in terms of avoiding groups of people gathering in one place in purely social activities, can be sustained for longer.  So, it does make sense to cancel things like conventions, spectator sporting events, parades (unlike the idiots in NYC and N.O.), etc.,   But most businesses that don't involve a lot of close customer contact should be opening just fine.

Physically leaving houses, yes.  But "non-essential" businesses have been threatened with fines if they don't shut down.  We're being told that we better have an explanation for the cops if we get pulled over.  I think that is unenforceable legally, but a lot of people are scared and obey it anyway because they don't understand their rights.

"Social distancing" in terms of avoiding groups of people gathering in one place in purely social activities, can be sustained for longer.  So, it does make sense to cancel things like conventions, spectator sporting events, parades (unlike the idiots in NYC and N.O.), etc.,   But most businesses that don't involve a lot of close customer contact should be opening just fine.

Perhaps some employers are also concerned about their liability for forcing workers to work with infected but non-symptomatic employees.  Thanks for your response @Maj. Bill Martin