Author Topic: As cruise ship carrying sick and dead passengers moves toward Florida, governor says state can't tak  (Read 669 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

As cruise ship carrying sick and dead passengers moves toward Florida, governor says state can't take them
MSN, Mar 30, 2020, Sun Sentinel

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A Holland America cruise ship, carrying four bodies and scores of patients with coronavirus-like symptoms, has been given permission to cross the Panama Canal, allowing them to continue their journey toward Florida, the cruise line’s president said Sunday.

The Zandaam and Rotterdam, where some passengers were transferred, may be heading to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

But Gov. Ron DeSantis appeared on Fox News on Monday morning — and he wasn’t happy.

“We cannot afford to have people who are not even Floridians dumped into South Florida using up those valuable resources,” he said, adding he is in touch with the White House over the fate of these ships. “We view this as a big, big problem and we don’t want to see people dumped in southern Florida right now.”

[...]

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis also spoke out against the ship coming to a community already experiencing a rapidly increasing spread of COVID-19.

“There are Navy bases on the Eastern seaboard where this ship could dock and be dealt with in a much more controlled environment,” Trantalis said. “The problem here is that Port Everglades sits in the very middle of a vast urban area. There are neighborhoods to the north, south and west of the port.”

More:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as-cruise-ship-carrying-sick-and-dead-passengers-moves-toward-florida-governor-says-state-cant-take-them/ar-BB11USCd?ocid=ientp

Offline libertybele

I hope he wins this one and his right to refuse them...I'm wondering though how many originated from those ports?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What no one is saying is when did these ships start these cruises and from where?

Anyone boarding a cruise ship in the past three weeks has had to be willfully deaf to what is going on in the world.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

What no one is saying is when did these ships start these cruises and from where?

Anyone boarding a cruise ship in the past three weeks has had to be willfully deaf to what is going on in the world.

Voyage of the Damned Stupid

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Appears it is normally scheduled on a 14 day run through the Panama Cana from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, so it is likely it left around March 20 or so.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Now I see why Florida hesitated to accept the ship.

It is mostly foreigners who chose to ride the death ship.
Holland America cruise ships with over 200 sick passengers and crew reach deal to disembark in Florida
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/holland-america-cruise-ships-with-over-200-sick-passengers-and-crew-reaches-deal-to-disembark-in-florida
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause