Author Topic: 25 Easy Pantry Recipes to Make During the Quarantine  (Read 831 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
25 Easy Pantry Recipes to Make During the Quarantine
« on: March 30, 2020, 01:03:53 am »
Mexico in My Kitchen by Mely Martinez 3/26/2020

This is a collection of easy Mexican recipes you can cook using many of the items you have on hand in your pantry.

Around the world, people are receiving orders to shelter in place for a couple of weeks or more, leaving most families with no food other than what’s in their pantry. In this post, I’ve compiled a list of easy Mexican recipes you can make to feed your family during the quarantine, using ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboards.

In Mexico, there are a couple of essential items that people often have in their pantries, including rice, dried pasta (often “fideos”), flour, masa harina, dried beans, sugar, and oil. Canned items include canned tuna, pickled jalapeños, a can of chipotles in adobo, and perhaps some canned black beans. These are all items that are cheap, versatile, and mostly non-perishable. I recommend you keep some of them at home.

Below is a list of recipes you can make with these and other ingredients.

Mexican Breakfast Recipes:

Several quick meals you can make using masa harina include Tlacoyos (oval-shaped patties stuffed with beans), Bocoles (corn masa cakes), and Picaditas (similar to “sopes”). You can top all of these with crumbled cheese and the salsa of your choice. To wash everything down, there’s nothing like a hot glass of Café Lechero, a popular coffee drink from Veracruz.-----

Mexican Lunch Pantry Recipes:

One of the easiest and most fool-proof recipes I make in my kitchen is Chipotle Tuna Sandwich.

Other dishes that make use of canned tuna are Tuna Tostadas (plus the Chipotle version), Tuna Mexican Style, and if you have a bit more time, Tuna Empanadas.-----

it comes to soups, there are many recipes you can make using dry ingredients in your pantry, like Lentil Soup, Fideo Soup, and Wheel Pasta Soup. You can make Vegetable Soup using canned or frozen vegetables, but if you have fresh veggies available, by all means, use them (it will taste much better!).Black beans tostadas

If you’re looking for a quick vegetarian lunch idea, I highly recommend you check out my recipe for Black Bean Tostadas. You can top them with cheese, vegetables, salsa, or whatever your heart desires!

Mexican Dinner Pantry Recipes:

Enchiladas are an iconic Mexican dinner, and they are flexible in that they can be stuffed with shredded chicken or simply crumbled cheese. Recipes on the blog include Red Enchiladas, Green Enchiladas (Swiss Enchiladas), Cream Enchiladas, Enfrijoladas (Black Bean Enchiladas), and Pinto Bean Enchiladas. If you have some leftover mole (or a jar of mole sauce), you can use it to make Enmoladas (Mole Enchiladas) or Mole Casserole.

For all you pasta lovers, you can check out my recipes for Chipotle Ground Beef Pasta, Pasta with Chorizo, and Spaghetti con Crema. And, of course, you can never go wrong with Mac and Cheese, especially with the kids at home!

Recipes at link: https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/pantry-recipes/

Offline roamer_1

Re: 25 Easy Pantry Recipes to Make During the Quarantine
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:12:51 am »
I am fixin to be out of tortillas. Last two times to town, and I can't find more.

It has been a long time since I made my own.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:59 am »
I am fixin to be out of tortillas. Last two times to town, and I can't find more.

It has been a long time since I made my own.

If you go to make your own and can't find any masa you can make it from field corn and pickling lime.

https://www.mexicanplease.com/homemade-masa-dough-using-yellow-field-corn/

That'll probably be better than store bought masa anyway.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:42:46 am »
If you go to make your own and can't find any masa you can make it from field corn and pickling lime.

https://www.mexicanplease.com/homemade-masa-dough-using-yellow-field-corn/

That'll probably be better than store bought masa anyway.

Believe it or not, I have hominy meal which is likely a near match...

And beggars can't be choosers and all, but I prefer wheat-flour masa.  I am plenty good in flour just yet... Though the last two times out, that's the other thing gone missin - Bread. First time in my life that I have seen the outlet bread store without bread.

I probably have 25 pounds of flour - I don't keep on much of it, as it will go sour. But it will go fast if I am making bread and masa very long. And I ain't carrying no wheat berries, which might well be a mistake.

I always figured to make do from the barn... Field corn, cracked corn, OBM, and whole oats are all around in bulk... So I ain't that far from corn bread and corn masa. S'alright... Suits me fine. Might have to figure out how to get at them oat berries though...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 01:44:29 am »
Three more store bought loaves and I will be switching out to cornbread and sourdough.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 02:09:03 am »
Three more store bought loaves and I will be switching out to cornbread and sourdough.

I made cornbread this morning.  One loaf of store bought bread left in the freezer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:11:15 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 02:29:04 am »
I made cornbread this morning.  One loaf of store bought bread left in the freezer.

I sure as heck hope I can grow my sourdough starter enough and keep it fed. I have to re-up it like crazy. I usually keep enough around for a loaf now and then, or some pancakes... But I have to build -er up to industrial use. And NOW. I have a little yeast around, but not that much. It don't keep well. So maybe a couple runs and I will be strictly sourdough and cornbread. Hope I can get that starter up to snuff.