Author Topic: Stock futures open lower as coronavirus social distancing guidelines extended to April 30  (Read 750 times)

Online libertybele

Buying opportunities straight ahead .... ???

Stock futures open lower as coronavirus social distancing guidelines extended to April 30

U.S. stock futures opened lower Sunday evening as efforts to contain the coronavirus remain a priority across the globe and as President Trump announced that social distancing guidelines will remain in place until April 30 at least.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite posted early losses of 1 percent each.

The move follows a volatile but positive week for the three major averages, which saw the Dow gain over 12.8 percent and exit its bear market on Thursday. The S&P 500 rose 10.26 percent while the Nasdaq gained more than 9 percent...........

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/stock-future-march-29
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Dow futures have now turned positive (as of 10:45pm PDT):

https://www.investing.com/indices/us-30-futures

The roller coaster continues...running over "dead cats" as it goes!  ;-) 

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
"Never Mind" ---Emily Litella    Dow futures now down 120 points again (2:25am PDT)....we now return you to our regularly scheduled programming...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-w-emily-litella/n8618

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
We might run a bit and see the S+P go up to the 2750 area, but you can almost guarantee its gonna test the early March low at some point.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

We might run a bit and see the S+P go up to the 2750 area, but you can almost guarantee its gonna test the early March low at some point.

I'm really surprised to see the market up a bit today...I had expected a Monday downturn.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm really surprised to see the market up a bit today...I had expected a Monday downturn.

I did too.  It's a good thing I'm not a day-trader.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

I had been afraid to check our portfolio, assuming we were approaching "penniless" status by now. But yesterday I logged in and found, to my surprise, we'd lost only 4.7% of the total currently invested with this particular brokerage from 2/28 to 3/29.  Mr. M's cousin, a retired investment advisor, has been buying stocks throughout this Corona frenzy, and we've taken his advice.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I had been afraid to check our portfolio, assuming we were approaching "penniless" status by now. But yesterday I logged in and found, to my surprise, we'd lost only 4.7% of the total currently invested with this particular brokerage from 2/28 to 3/29.  Mr. M's cousin, a retired investment advisor, has been buying stocks throughout this Corona frenzy, and we've taken his advice.

A well-balanced 401K should show the drops you mentioned, because they should be diversified among different funds.  In my case, the mix was something I had control over, and adjusted my risks to match my situation.  Luck came into it when I had to change my balance upon retiring unexpectedly.  The market was in a good place when I closed it out.

ETA:  I saw losses in the neighborhood of what you lost in two previous dumps:  The dot-com bust and 2007-08 panic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:53:43 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I did too.  It's a good thing I'm not a day-trader.

There are some of us who love that love that roller coaster.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There are some of us who love that love that roller coaster.

Yep.  Not for the 401K-minded.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Yep.  Not for the 401K-minded.

I am glad you were wrong predicting a 1,000 downer.

Don't know why, but up 690 might be reflecting the Trump pills prospects.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I am glad you were wrong predicting a 1,000 downer.

Don't know why, but up 690 might be reflecting the Trump pills prospects.

Yeah, I'm glad too. 
I will NOT comply.